Bending strings on my G5422T

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by GiorgioG, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    More hand less finger. Try using more of your hand and even arm for the push, rather than finger strength, keeping your fingers relatively stiff. Fretting should involve the whole arm, not just fingers.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Personal choice, we all have a different physique and motor skills/ability.

Despite our best of intentions, remember all advice is strictly optional. There are no rules to this game. This is your game.

BB King bends from the wrist(he’s the king) Angus uses his whole body(small frame). I push/pull a string strictly sideways, Jan Akkerman vibrates the strings lengthwise(cause he can), Yngwie uses a scalloped fretboard so he can push down on the strings(more is more), some guys use 2 fingers to bend one string, some guys use one finger to bend multiple strings(Chuck), some guys use multiple fingers to bend multiple strings(lap steel effect)
    Explore ALL, and see what suits you.

I started on 8s and it took me 35 years to arrive at 11s and have reluctantly started using 12s on some archtops(heavy gauge is more mass to move the top is more tone).
    Have fun!

3. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    If you are going to do a lot of bending use the smaller gauge strings. On my Gretsch I don't do more then 10's and can bend as far as I need. my other guitars, I use 9's. I do a lot of bending.
    Tried 11's with effort I could probably do ok, But playing more than a 20 minute set about as long as I could go and that would be it. With 9's and 10's I can play all night long.

GiorgioG likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice