Join Gretsch-Talk Today

beginner Rockabilly songs

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by samdevos, Jun 26, 2009.

1. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    Hey guys i just started a rockabilly band , we want to do for now only some covers.

But i'm looking for a whole bunch of (prefer easy) rockabilly songs that wil set the place on fire.

anyone that has advice?

thx

2. Falco

Falco Electromatic

May 8, 2009
    Belgium
    Hi Sam, welcome to this forum. I am not into rockabilly but I am sure folks will help you out around here. Grtz from Morstel.

3. Gazzer86

Gazzer86 Electromatic

Jun 3, 2009
    Eastbourne UK
    Hi Sam

Im pretty new to the rockabilly style and probably the two easiest tracks i have learnt are by the late great Eddie Cochran, they being C'mon Everybody and Summertime Blues which only have the sme three chords E, A and B. You may want to spice them up Setzer style. The Stray Cats did great versions of these tunes.

Hope this helps

Gazzer

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    Welcome,

I have also recently become lead guitarist and singer in a rock-a-billy group.

If you click on Social Groups, at the top of the page, you will see a rock-a-billy area. We have posted clips of old groups, as well as some rock-a-billy guitar lessons. Please join, and look through all the pages, to see what songs you like.

I'm currently doing a lot of Gene Vincent material. If you come across links that you find helpful, please share them with the group.

Slim

6. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    The best place to start IMO is anything from the Sun studios in Memphis, especially Elvis' material from this period. Carl Perkins wrote and recorded some great stuff then as well, but a lot of these songs were re-recorded later in his career. The later versions don't hold a candle to the original Sun material.

7. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Our entire 3 hours of Rockabilly songs are all beginner songs:D
    Get some old Sun records recordings lots of good rockabily easily copied not real sophisticated stuff.
    http://www.myspace.com/56pontiac

8. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow Country Gent

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    Once you come up with the songs you want to play, dig around on youtube. They have lessons on there for everything it seems. You could also try one of the Piggat (sp?) DVD's for instruction and performance tips. Not exactly Rock-a-billy but why not Secret Agent Man - a fun and easy nostalgic number. And then lots of Johnny Cash, like Folsom Prison Blues, also works well in the RAB genre. Best of luck. Happy pickin'

9. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle Country Gent

May 9, 2009
    KRAPROOM
  10. nongretschowner

nongretschowner Banned

Mar 9, 2009
    lonesometown
    Jack Scott - The Way I Walk

Warren Smith - Rock N Roll Ruby

Carl Perkins - Dixie Fried

Joe Clay - Ducktails

Not really rockabilly but Johnny Cash on Sun records, Luther had simplicity down

11. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Luther Perkins was once asked in an interview why he didn't do some fancy guitar work like other guitarists. His answer was, those other guys are still looking for "it" and I've already found "it". :D

12. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    20 Flight Rock

Nice and Easy

Then Orbison's Rock House.

Then Blue Suede Shoes.

13. nongretschowner

nongretschowner Banned

Mar 9, 2009
    lonesometown
    Got to be the best quote I have heard all day

14. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Welcome to GT Sam! :D

15. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    thx for the posts so far really appriciate it :)

16. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    Paul Pigat's DVDs are well worth checkng out. My rockabilly playing became infinitely better after the first one.

One thing you could do if you're just interested in getting out there is stripping the songs down to the basic chords and solos to make them as easy as possible and then build on them over time.

17. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Definately check out our social group for Rockabilly. As mentioned before, there are several links there for easier tunes. I chose Mystery Train for my introduction into Rockabilly. Also, as mentioned, many of the early Sun recordings were great Rockabilly tunes. In my opinion, James Burton is a great player often overlooked for his contributions.

One last thought, go to the Rockabilly Hall of Fame and just look at the various inductees and do a youtube search for all kinds of great tunes.

18. jostan

jostan Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    ohio
    I wish I could get a rockabilly band going around here.

19. foyos

foyos Electromatic

Jun 29, 2009
    lisboa
    me too!
    on topic anything of classic like elvis,perkins,cash,straycats,that you like
    you can also go for the punk versions of "something else" and "c'mon everybody" by the pistols and the law won by the clash

20. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Here is another suggestion. Go to the Rockabilly Hall of Fame website, look down the list of inductees, type them name in Youtube and listen to their songs. You will find material quickly that you like. http://www.rockabillyhall.com/Certificates.html

21. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    My exposure to rock-a-billy came from Elvis, and the Beatles doing Carl Perkins and Little Richard songs. I always liked Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins, but I had trouble with the vocals. The Stray Cats were a little more my style. Then someone gave me a copy of Jeff Beck's - Crazy Legs. Then I started digging onto the original Gene Vincent and Cliff Gallup recordings. Things are starting to click.

I'm now finding my sound, both vocally and guitar wise. People want me to play the same old songs, that all the other bands a playing, but I'm trying nicely to tell them to stick it. My vocals are getting stronger, and my solo's are improving. I now feel like I found my calling in the musical world.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009