Been here a while, now posting

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by dougmon, Jan 23, 2020.

1. dougmon

dougmon Electromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I am a long time guitar player, but sold all my electric guitars a while ago. As I've said elsewhere, I don't regret getting rid of those particular guitars, I do regret not having an electric. So I'm here doing research to figure out which hollow/semi-hollow model I want. Though I'm also tempted by the Jet models. I'll probably be asking loads of questions in the next few months. :) I'm just looking for the best all-around blues/roots rock guitar that will also work when I'm not such an incompetent jazz player.

Nice to be here.

DannyB, new6659, southpaw185 and 6 others like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Electromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Nice to have you here.
    Lots of great people and great guitars. Best of luck finding the guitar that suits you.

dougmon likes this.
  3. dougmon

dougmon Electromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Thanks. I feel confident that it's here somewhere. It's just a matter of finding some Gretsch dealers and playing a few.

larryb likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville!

5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Welcome aboard....You will get lots of good advice here, along with many opinions on what is "best"
    Go play as many as you can....Only your ears, your eyes and your hands will reveal the best guitar for you....If you still cant decide, get a Tele:);)

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  6. shrews824

shrews824 Country Gent

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome. Best forum on the 'net. I concur, there is plenty of knowledge here about all sorts of Gretsch guitars. I highly doubt anyone would mind answering whatever questions you may have regarding a particular model.

7. dougmon

dougmon Electromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    I've actually had a couple of Teles. And a couple of Strats. Good guitars, but their sound was just not for me.

In any case, thanks for helping to start my day off with a laugh.

larryb likes this.
  8. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    ;)

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Welcome Gretsch Talk and back to electric. Hope you find that Gretsch for you this year. :)

10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . I just know you'll find what your looking for .....or maybe even 2 guitars

11. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome aboard. Of course you realize if you've been following the posts that one Gretsch isn't enough....:D:D:D.but it's important to get started.

new6659 and larryb like this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Welcome, and enjoy! First thing would be to determine how much you want to spend. There are 3 lines of Gretsch (4 if you count the Custom Shop). Streamliners are the least costly, and are an amazing guitar for the money. The Electromatic line is next up, hugely popular and a very good guitar for still not a huge price (the 5420 is one of the most popular hollow bodies, a wonderful first Gretsch).

If you can swing one, the Pro Line Series made in Japan is the professional quality line, and are top notch guitars. 6118 Anniversaries, 6119 Tennessee Rose and 6120 models (several variants) are some of the more popular models. These will all have the 24.6 inch scale length (similar to that of a Gibson). Then there is the Country Club and the Falcons with the 25.5 inch scale length (larger body and lots of bling on the Falcons), this is the same as the scale of the Fender Strat and Tele.

Enjoy the journey, I'm sure you'll find one (or two or more!) that you like.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    dak55, southpaw185 and larryb like this.
  13. southpaw185

southpaw185 Electromatic

Jul 13, 2017
    San Diego
    Welcome to the forum! Good luck finding the perfect guitar. Everyone here was very helpful when I was seeking my first Gretsch.

14. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Who had 7 years/22 days in the 'When will dougmon start posting' pool? :p

Welcome to the forum!! :)

T Bone, wabash slim and dak55 like this.
  15. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Welcome to the forum. As stated you will get lots of advice and help on your journey plus humour without much of a bite.

Try and find somewhere that has a good stock of the guitars in your price range, see how they feel in use, sound and if you like the look.

16. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome from the wet coast. As has been said, the best way is to find a place you can play a few and see what feels/looks and sounds right to you. Good luck and have fun looking!

17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome ,eventually,to GT sir!;)

I'll give the anwser i always give,ya can't beat a good 6120!

18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, dougmon !
    welcome mat 123.jpg

19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome. Lots of good advice here.

20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy!
    You're starting off in the right direction. Research the product, play as many as you can, keep your options open. You'll find "The One" eventually.

Then, the great amp hunt begins.

After that, pedals.

dougmon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice