Beatniks Jet Build

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by beatnik, Feb 15, 2011.

1. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    ok here we go, a bit of background stuff, I love gretsch guitars like a brother unfortunately im a skint student so cant afford to buy one so i decided to see if i could make a guitar equal in quality to a pro-line gretsch but at a fraction of the cost. Im a design and technology student so i have access to tools/machines i ordinarily wouldnt be able to afford.

Choice of guitar - originally i planned on doin the smoke green anni junior but as this is my first build i thought the hollowbody might be pushing it a bit so instead decided on a double cut jet instead.

Upon bombarding a few people with requests/questions i managed to get the information i needed all i needed now was the bits and bobs

spec
    body - chambered mahogany (two piece) thanks to sandy for the tracing
    neck one piece mahogany
    pups - filtertrons
    bigsby b7 (original)
    tone switch
    pickup switch (both gretsch)
    3 G knobs chrome
    cts pots
    sprague orange drop caps (.22 and .47) struggled to find the exact ones grestch use so ill try these i can always change them later
    gibson braided wire
    switchcraft jack socket
    wilkinson tuners (grover imperial style)
    ebony fret board (22.4" scale 22 fret)
    still to come compton bridge (waiting for site to come back online so i can order it

now im goin to try and make as much as possible myself so cavity covers/pickup rings/pickguard/truss rod cover will all be made in the workshop rather than bought

i do not expect it to be a fast build as ive got to keep up with my work as well plus as its my first id rather take my time get it done properly

made a start today and have the body template cut out (at the second attempt as there were some imperfections in the first one due to the difficulty of tracing a guitar) so a few calculations here and there and some bandsaw experimentation and here we are

pictures coming up......

2. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
  3. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    in the first template above you can see the difference in the horns the second one further down is the more accurate one

4. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
  5. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Amazing dude I cant wait to see this come together man!

6. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
  7. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    i will update with progress and will supply as many pics and info as i can special thanks so far to sandy for the tracing, guitar maker for answering my relentless stream of questions (its not over yet either mate) tara and the other jetters for feedback and info and nickyboy for letting me get my hands on his jet for additional measurements

8. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Cool, keep us updated. We do have a couple of builders here so don't be afraid to ask for help.

9. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    I love the last shot, the hardware laid out on the template. Purely pointless, exuberant and passionate.:cool:

10. nickyboy

nickyboy Synchromatic

Jan 10, 2011
    South Wales, UK
    This is gonna be good.

11. S Macp

S Macp Country Gent

Sep 6, 2009
    Glasgow, UK
    Whee! I love build threads!

12. nicko10_5

nicko10_5 Synchromatic

Sep 19, 2009
    Nottingham
    How exciting. Looking good already!

13. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    gotta be done its an unwritten rule of the build :D

14. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    thanks for the interest hopefully i can live up to expectations!

15. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Wooohooo!! you finally got started :D
    can't wait to watch it come together, it looks/sounds great so far!! :D

16. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    So far, So good! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

17. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    yep lol finally off the mark

cheers guitarmaker ill be requiring your expert guidance throughout the build

nothing much to update other than my fret board and ebony to make the bridge base arrived think i might order myself a compton:D

18. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Wise man! :D which material are you going for?

19. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    sound wise i think the brass is my favourite but it would look out of place with all my other hardware so i think SS is closer to the brass sound than the alu so probably get the SS

20. beatnik

beatnik Synchromatic

Jul 25, 2010
    Wiltshire
    a little bit of progress today, firstly got my compton and my truss rod on its way i also managed to get the neck piece and body piece seperated so i now have two pieces of wood instead of one lol, planed the neck piece ready to cut out and thicknessed the body piece its still in one piece at the moment so im gona pop into the workshop tomorrow afternoon cut it into two and get it glued so it can dry over weekend and i should be able to start cutting out the body shape monday, also spent the afternoon at nickyboys swanky pad where he was kind enough to let me manhandle his jet for the second time and get the final measurements and tracings i needed so thanks nick
    i do have pics of the wood as it is now if anyone wants to see nothing special really but u can at least see the grain now its been planed will hopefully have some more progress monday

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice