Battery powered pedal boards, ye or hey?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by freddyfingers, Apr 23, 2019.

I just saw that a company named Outlaw effects makes a Nomad powered pedal board. Two sizes. I do not like cables, and this seems to get rid of at least one, the power cord. Has any one used this or a similar one? I would most likely use the smaller board, as I have a few pedals, a brain, and the El Pescadoro, and a small delay and a boss tuner. It seems to be able to hold a charge for a while, longer than any gig i would play.

In a perfect world, i would go wireless to the board and wireless to the amp, but I haven’t tried my wireless to the amp yet. It’s 2019, we can operate a remote controlled car on Mars, cant we get rid of cables?

Any issues drawing power from a battery like that?

hcsterg likes this.
  1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I think that this is quite a good idea. It will eliminate unwanted ground-noise, too.

hcsterg likes this.
  2. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Nice idea...but I resent having to recharge batteries more than plugging in;)

gjohnson441496 and hcsterg like this.
  3. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The components don't know the source of the current, you'll just have to keep a lot of batteries on hand, it's not a disadvantage.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've dealt with batteries by the case and wireless for decades. When you need to be sure, plug it in.

With wireless, we've had other uses---cab companies, construction crews---bleed into our sound system. They were using theater frequencies illegally. We got them to stop eventually, but that was weeks later after the FCC finally got involved after we complained repeatedly. Didn't do much to allay the issues with the church conference that was interrupted by guys swearing on air.

One aspect of batteries is that you won't get as much noise from them as you would from a power supply. They also have the issue of dying at the most inappropriate times, even if they're "fresh". Ya never know. Still, if you're only using one or two pedals, batteries are a real consideration.

The real issue with batteries is that they're outrageously expensive. You'd thin that by now, with all of the technology we have, that they'd last longer than a couple of hours and not explode and catch fire.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  5. Sabato

Sabato Gretschie

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    "They also have the issue of dying at the most inappropriate times" This is known as the "Critical Detector", as in Copy Machines, the more crucial it is, the more likely it is to fail, built-in at the factory.

wabash slim likes this.
  6. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    One AC cable has never been an issue at a gig for me. My pedal board just has a lampcord type small cable to it's supply. But hey, with today's battery technology, a battery powered board is feasible for sure. Although you may want to bring hot dogs to roast over it when the Lithium battery catches fire...! :>)
    For those who hate cables, get a guitar wireless rig first, then the battery rig.

Sabato likes this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve looked into assembling my own. The critical factors are: Finding a 5-9/12/whatever V converter that delivers enough amperage, and finding a battery that is able to charge while distributing power. Suffice to say I relegated this project to the back of the line...

8. It comes with a charger so you can hard wire it to an outlet should the need arise. Don’t like the idea of my stage catching fire d rim a battery, but I have searched and have not seen a review that says hot or flaming battery. 4 pedals. One less cord on the floor. If it takes to wireless then no cords on the floor. Including mikes as I have a wireless mike system. I just don’t like cables.

9. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I am just going to wait until I go on a "I don't play with pedals for my tone" kick again. Usually lasts at least a week to ten days. ;)

freddyfingers and blueruins like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    All wireless devices can have issues with "Spurious Emissions"---which would be a great band name.

As to your "Critical Detector" (another great band name), I firmly believe that driving your car near its make's dealership can cause mechanical issues for the same reason.

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    You have said it all for me Guys :)...

That's some of the reasons why I do not use my pédalborde anymore, despite it was compact, reliable, ruggered, noiseless, but... More compact would have been better, and it used the inevitable AC mains cord. :(

[​IMG]

Onr to three pedals at max, one or two fresh 9VDC batteries from the local supermarket, and I'm quiet for years. No noise, no AC hassle, no additional case, etc... :cool:

Maybe I will go back one day... In a compact and standalone version... o_O

A+!

blueruins likes this.
  12. Bit the bullet and ordered one. Will let ya’s know if my house burns down. Maybe i will keep it stored outside.

13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    How much$ ? Annoying me just trying to find that out,,,am I missing the msrp?

14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It doesnt really save any cables, just when you use one of them.
    I think Mission has an option as well.

15. They are 159 and 179 for the larger board with battery and little connectors, wall wart and some Velcro and snap ties. I got mine on reverb, made an offer for a new one, so basically got the big one for the small price. Should be here Thursday or Friday. I will charge it up, and take a spin.

16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I knew some guys who named their band "Nocturnal Emissions" ! Pretty clever!

wabash slim likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Cool concept, though it seems impractical for a gigging working musician. If you forget or don’t have the ability to charge your pedalboard everyday, you’re toast. I know it says 10 hours, but I would never feel like I could trust that in a real world environment. Still though - cool concept!

thunder58 and Robbie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice