Bass. BASS? Anyone here play Bass?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dilver, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    In a bout of rare(but still misguided) optimism I aquired a 5 stringer. I practically gave up the day it arrived. I might trade for a 4-string shortscale soon. God knows why.
    141AF000-A390-437A-9B4A-22FADDF53D0E.jpeg

2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I like playing the little ones myself ;) :
    [​IMG]

My 1st short scale (the Wattplower) really got me over a hump I think, I'd acquired the aforementioned Jazz Bass & a US Sterling 4H up til that point & was having shoulder & hand irritation trying to play them as much I needed to. I think I get along much better w/ the full scale ones now than then, but I really do love playing the little ones & I love the sounds.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  3. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I started playing upright string Bass in a polka band when I was about 7 years old. I stood on a milk crate, and reached way up...I guess it was a novelty at the time. At 11, I bought my first electric Bass (Magnum- it was a Japanese knock off of a P-Bass. Played in several bands, and did some studio work. The Magnum was a monster to play, when I could afford a real P-Bass, everything seemed to come together.

I guess I probably forgot a lot through the years since my son recorded Drops of Jupiter on piano and wanted me to do some Bass work. He was too kind to tell me the truth, but when I heard the final recording, he exchanged my Bass part with his own....obviously a good choice, he is a far better musician than I am.

Sometimes the student does teach the teacher.

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No offense to bass players but I have a friend, great great guitarist, that says anyone playing 5 or more string basses are nothing kore then frustrated guitarists. HAHAHHA I always thought that comment was funny. I would love to have a bass 5 strings at least.

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The Gorilla (my oldest boy) is the resident Bassist. The next level below that is bass player, then there is the bottom feeder; the bass owner. :) At least thats how Bassists mild and mannered would respectfully concur.

That said I own a 51' Kay M1 upright, a Rutters/fender 51 pbass & a 60s Ventura mosrite style bass.
    The Gorilla has a King Doublebass (his main instrument), a Dipinto Los Strait Jackets bass, and a rutter relic fretless 51' pbass.
    ...we got bass in da house :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2389.JPG IMG_2402.JPG

dilver, thunder58, mrfixitmi and 5 others like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    We had a Squier Jaguar bass for a while and it was pretty sweet, my wife just didn't play it so it got traded.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Those look nice, the silly thing is I was in fact eyeing up Squier and Epiphone short scales before I stumbled upon the 5-string. Ah well, Live and learn! :)

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I did same about 12 yrs ago :)
    I got a Fender Jazz bass, mod'ed it with Dimarzio humbuckers and badass bridge and paired it with a 500w MarkBass amp. Also got a great 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator envelope filter pedal - see pic below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've gigged with this rig in rock, jazz and blues bands and recorded it often in my recordings (see link in my sig below). As with guitar I play bass both with fingers and a pick. 4 strings is enough for me :)

I enjoy bass but prefer guitar myself - many similarities but lots of differences too.
    What I particularly like about electric Bass is the relative simplicity of the rig set up.

All you need for almost any pop, rock, blues, funk or jazz band is a good bass plugged direct to a good amp.

I added on a tuner pedal and an envelope filter for that funky bass effect but it's not needed. 10 yrs ago I got the Groove Regulator which was considered 1 of the best bass envelope filters then. Now I'd get the new Chromathon from 3Leaf Audio - see here
    https://www.3leafaudio.com/chromatron
    The 3rd and last video on this link gives a full bass demo

I got carried away and started learning keyboards at the same time.

Enjoy your basses guys :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've mentioned it before, but 5 stringers aren't for me.
    I made this narrow spaced 5 string and it sounded and played really nice. As long as I was concentrating on what I was doing, everything was fine. If I started relaxing and playing, I would have 'flashbacks', 40 years of looking down and seeing and knowing all the notes on the E string would cause me to freeze sometimes. This happened too often so I decided to sell it.
    Well, that and economic circumstances.

ric51.jpg ric52.jpg

10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I enjoy bass. I have no delusions of grandeur......I am ultimately a guitar player who plays bass. But, I really do enjoy it. I always track my own bass stuff in studio, and get occasional opportunities to play my basses in live scenarios. I play a Hofner and a Fender Mustang PJ(I’m all about that short scale!).

Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  11. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Believe I might, yes.

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Let me know if you do.

dafreeze likes this.
  13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I keep this simple bass rig up in my music room for jams - when the bass player doesn't want to haul his rig over.

2002 Fender MIM Jazz Bass, Hofner Icon bass, Fender Rumble 150 bass amp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    thunder58, JeffreyLeePierre and Zeek like this.
  14. Years ago, i bought a bass for my wife. She wanted to learn so we could be a duo. Didn’t happen. So the bass sat in the house unused. For a brief period, a guy i knew the through together a Dead cover band. Asked me to fill in. So i blew the dust off the bass and jumped in. It sounded pretty good, the band that is. I was able to fit in with the Phil Lesh style rather easy. We played for a year or so, then disbanded. So i got it into my head that i could play bass as well as guitar. For those of you unfamiliar with Phil lesh, this wont make sense. Phil is not a pocket player. I have heard and seen them more times than i can recall, so the sound and style are burned into memory. Phil is all over the place. Kind of like a mellow jack Bruce that has more melodic flow.

The moment someone else called me up years later to fill in at a gig for their missing bass player(and we all know that is not uncommon}, i learned i am not the bass player. It’s not easy getting into that groove if you haven’t done it before. So i would start the song with a simple bass line that fit the song and matched the pattern, but after a few verses i regressed back to Phil. Fun for me, difficult for a drummer to get along with. The more i tried to be in the pocket, the less i enjoyed it. In hind site that was due to me not having the mindset / skill to do so, and i grew frustrated. So now a days, if someone comes over to jam and we have too many guitarist, i will grab a bass and fill in, but its my house, my stage, and i can be Phil. Outside of that, i have been put in my place, and have learned that even with all their faults, bass players contribute a necessary component to a band, and my hat is off to those that can actually do it. At the same time, the last few years i have created a acoustic duo/trio that does not require a bass. So go figure.

Have met many bass players that are guitar players that can’t play guitar lead. So they abuse us with their bass leads. Like jack Bruce without the jack Bruce ear. Guitar players are full of shady ideas.

Ricochet likes this.
  15. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I've been fooling around with a Höfner 500/1 V62 for several years now. I find it easier than the guitar, maybe because I'm better at identifying melodies than chords (while I wouldn't call many bass lines 'melodies', they're still mostly one note at a time). But then, I can't improvise or come up with lines of my own. I must be content with trying to copy what I hear.

Between September 2016 and June 2018 I played in something that was supposed to be a symphonic orchestra, from the local music school. I mean, it was one, but the name sounded much better than the orchestra itself. There was no one who wanted to play the double bass or the tuba, and the only person they found who wanted to play the electric bass for them was yours truly. I spent two years with them, until their first bass student was proficient enough to join, and that's when I -reluctantly- left. We played classical music, paso dobles, etc., all using written scores. Not very typical, but lots of fun.

In the middle of it all I took my bass to work one day because some mates decided it'd be a good idea to sing several carols before starting our 2017 Christmas holidays. We were four: vocal+ukelele, guitar, bass and drums. We rehearsed twice, and the first time the entire lineup played together was the actual performance. It could have been a disaster, but it wasn't. We sang several traditional carols, and then 'Jingle Bell Rock', which is not traditional, but which was well received too. I've got an excerpt, and since it's the only known recording of Cassotto playing the bass, something precious and rare :p, I've added a link here (don't be too cruel!).

https://soundcloud.com/user-585410886/jingle-bell-rock-excerpt/s-cwQ4x

16. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I started playing bass in the early 90s when some bluegrass buds shoved an upright on me and immediately started giging. Since I’ve played way more gigs on bass than guitar, across genres, upright and slab.

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I once found a Fender bass in a dumpster . It was in a case and had a plate around the hole that the cord went into . Don't know why it was so Precision , it didn't even have frets . I just put it back in the dumpster ........... :p

Waxhead likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Wow a jack plate and a case and you still rejected it :confused:o_O

The other great thing about bass is the strings last 1-2 yrs :)

thunder58 likes this.
  19. buzzanderson

buzzanderson Gretschie

Jan 19, 2015
    Centreville, VA
    Years ago a close family friend gave me an Eric Clapton songbook for Christmas. A very nice gift, but it was scored for bass. Luckily I recognized enough of the music to bluff my way through a quick little test drive. Anyway, to make the best of the situation, and to avoid returning the thoughtful gift, I bought a new Fender Jazz bass and Bassman amp. Fortuitously, a group of colleagues asked me to sit in with their group and I noticed they had three guitarist and no bass player. Since then I've been part of several other musical endeavors in need of bass.

Hammerhands likes this.
  20. Bass guy

Bass guy Electromatic

Amazing instruments folks. I will share with you the basses I have owned and played. Not pictured is a MIM P Bass in 'seafoam green'. (I regretted purchasing that one because of the colour, and had to get rid of it after someone said: "that looks like Shery Crow's guitar".)

I enjoyed the pink MIM Flea bass for a while. It was a re-issue of a 1962 J Bass that someone gave to Flea at a concert. Cool concentric knobs on that bass. I wish I had the same thing on my other basses.

I should never have sold the red one -- a US Fender 50th Ann. J Bass. There was nothing too 'rare' or 'expensive' about it. But it was a real looker and played great too. I thought I had too many basses (or my wife told me I had too many basses...) and I sold it.

I am happy with the 2 basses left in my possession. My Gretsch Electrotone and my Fender Am. Prof. J Bass (in 'sonic blue' -- not to be confused with 'seafoam green'). I play the Gretsch the most. It just feels better to me. I am really enjoying the flats I put on it. A different kind of sound. I am not going to venture into the guitar world. Well, at least until someone puts a pretty Gretsch six-stringer in my hand! (Wait, purge the thought of more instruments: "No more instruments, no more instruments, no more instruments...")

Am Prof Bass.jpg
    50th Ann Bass (2).jpg Flea bass.png

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice