Baritone guitar?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jfassett, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Love This! Kinda reminds of a video I watched a few years ago of a guy playing a Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI. Interesting guitar- maybe half bass, half guitar kind of tone.

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Henry likes this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas

4. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    I use baritone a lot in my band, perfect for twangy honkytonk boogie lines.
    My best-sounding one is a Danelectro - those lipstick pickups are perfect (generally, if you want a bari for surf/Spaghetti Western/rockabilly, any kind of low output single coil will work, stay away from HBs and hot pickups).
    I also have a Tele with s 27.5" bari conversion neck, that is easier to play than the 29.75" Dano.
    And live on stage I use a 7-string Tele-style Chapman (26.5" scale), which I treat like a bari and regular guitar combined. Since I also play steel guitar in that band, that way I only have to switch between two instead of three instruments between songs...

jfassett likes this.
  5. Bass guy

Bass guy Electromatic

I am reviving this thread... I am wondering if anyone, whose primary instrument is bass (or was bass), has enjoyed using a longer-scale baritone guitar like this Gretsch G5260T Baritone Jet? The scale length is 29.75 inches, which is quite close to the 30.3 inches seen in many short-scale basses. But... obviously ... the Baritone Jet has 6 strings and it may be a real learning-curve for me and my stubby fingers. (The strings on a Tele feel soooo close together!) I do like the idea of stringing a baritone E to E, and since the Gretsch is longer than other baritones that might be possible. The purpose would be to play finger-style melodies. Unfortunately the closest Gretsch like this is 150km away. So it is a bit of a trip to try one out. All replies appreciated!!

[​IMG]

6. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    There’s a Setzer concert where he spanks a baritone Mystery Train style. If I new how I’d find n post it. I think he’s in Japan??

Bass guy likes this.
  7. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA

8. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Wooooo!
    Thank you LT!
    ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!
    I forgot how good this was.....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Bass guy likes this.
  9. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Bass guy and Ricochet like this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Presumable it’s mainly a House of Habsburg thing. ;)

11. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    hahaha could be :)

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice