Bar Bridge vs Tune O Matic

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by swivel, Feb 16, 2020.

1. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Just thought I'd update a comparison Bar bridge with Gold Tune O Matic:
    Got the Bar bridge I traded for here on GT and put it on my Hollowbody archtop Ibanez George Benson. Fortunately the post spacing was identical so I just put 'er on there to give a listen . Seems good, That may be good or bad, this guitar can be a bit warm at times.
    Time will tell!
    I played the guitar acoustically before and after, definitely can tell a difference, Bar Bridge definitely not as jangly as the Tune O Matic, and is a bit warmer.
    That may be good or bad, this guitar can be a bit warm at times.
    Time will tell!

Merc likes this.
  2. Sean McILwaine

Sean McILwaine Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2012
    London UK
    Well good luck. I replaced my tuneamatic with a Compton stainless steel and titanium bridge and still not sure which I like more. But all good and like having a new guitar when you switch them around.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    MKunie likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    There’s a player here that has had one in stainless, brass, aluminum, and even glass from Tru-Arc. I can’t remember who it was that had all for comparison. If it ends up being too warm you could try a different metal. Or maybe try some different strings to brighten it up.

How’s the intonation?

MKunie likes this.
  4. Seziertisch

Seziertisch Electromatic

Jan 27, 2020
    EU
    I replaced the brass rocking bar with a Tuneomatic in my Tennessee Rose and found the string separation and balance greatly improved for finger picked arpeggios.

Also, not all Tuneomatics are created equally. I tried a standard pot metal one, which was fine, a Callaham steel one which was too zingy (on that guitar at any rate) and a ABM Müller Bell brass one which was just right.

5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I checked the intonation before the change and after, surprisingly it's darn close. The only string I have trouble intonating is the Low E at the 12th fret.... it's always a touch high pitch, but the same way with the T O M bridge and my other guitars. I think it's just the string stretch when you fret it. I like my low strings fairly high, maybe 1/8". I never play a note above the 12th on the low E anyway!

rob batz, Merc and section2 like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Funny, first time I tried a Compton I was actually underwhelmed, till I put the old rattlematic back on and I was going H.S!

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  7. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    I was always a bit wary of the bar bridge (especially the 'rocking' part!), but having lived with the one on my 6120 I can tell you that I prefer it greatly to the Adjustomatics. Intonation is uncannily accurate and its smoothly radiused profile works well with the Bigsby.

hcsterg likes this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    All my rattle-o-matics and knuckle grater (space control) bridges have been replaced with bar bridges. I wouldn't go back.

9. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Gretschie

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
    I've just put an aluminium Compton on my 5422, very impressed. No intonation problems I can hear. I'm going to put one on my 5420 next.

Merc, MKunie and audept like this.
  10. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Not all tunomatics are the same for sure. Gretsch puts the crappiest cheap one on their guitars whether it a cheapy or a Black Phoenix etc. I have had Comptons, and TruArc, bar bridges they are nice. I prefer the GOTOH 103B Nashville. Slotted right and adjusted for intonation nothing is or has been better for me, it is my bridge of choice over all. That being said. No matter what bridge you use. You are still going to sound exactly like you, and nobody else :;

MKunie and G5422T like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Guys : are you using the Gretsch RBB or a Tru-Arc ?

@audept : what is the guitar you speak about ?

Thanks to let me know ! ;)

A+!

12. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm talking about all my Gretsch guitars that did not have bar bridges (came with Space Control & Adjustomatic) I have replaced them with either Compton Tone Chamber, or more recently, Tru-Arc Serpentune plain-G version. All of mine (roughly 12 of each) are either brass or titanium.

hcsterg likes this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I’m a big fan of the Rocking Bar Bridge. I have three. I have tunomatics on a couple of 6120s but I will probably switch them out. I just really like the feel of a Compton or RBB under my hand.

MKunie, rob batz and audept like this.
  14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IMO, bridge type is a personal preference based on feel, tone, intonation, brand, and even looks.

Myself, I prefer a bar bridge. Partial to Tru-Arcs, and prefer the standard bar style over the Serpentune.

Bars just feel right, work right, and sound right to me.

There's something out there for everyone.

MKunie, Stefan87 and audept like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ah, OK. Thanks ! ;)

Tentatively, I'll go with a Göldo HM05C (thomann.de) roller bridge (39€, excellent quality) for my G5420TLH-FBL, and maybe later, I'll go for a SerpenTune Lefty Tru-Arc, but I remember it took me 6 months of delay and 200USD to have one for my Orang Blossom Special... :confused:

A+!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    audept likes this.
  16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have been OK with Tru-Arc Serpentunes because I order ahead of time and in quantities of minimum 2 or 4 units.
    This was my last order (brass & titanium)
    Tru-arc SerpenTunes x 6 004.JPG

MKunie, Stefan87, hcsterg and 2 others like this.
  17. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Mine is the uncompensated stock Gretsch bar bridge .

MKunie likes this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. It's what I have on my G6119LH - that I re-radiused to 10" by slowly bending it in big vise with the help of Oak wood shims - it works fine :

[​IMG]

But the G6119LH is 25"1/2, not 2'"75 like the G5420, so the need of string compensation is probably less obvious ? o_O

A+!

19. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I would have got a Tru Arc Sepentune but not into spending any more money really and I got this one in a swap. I was just about to pull the trigger on a used gold BB on Ebay that went for $25 when we made the swap here on GT. The post spacing was the same as my Ibanez base and luckily the posts fit in the Bar Bridge holes without any rocking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice