Baldwin 706

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by PEekhof, Oct 22, 2019.

1. PEekhof

PEekhof Newbie

Oct 22, 2019
    Netherlands
    Hi there,

I bought a Baldwin 706 (Burns) but the wiring had been cutted out. Does anyone have a diagram of this 1968 beauty?

2. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    I had one of these (the 706V model with the vibrato arm) and it was a great sounding guitar—very Gretschy. The “toboggan” headstock was pretty crazy.
    Sorry I don’t have a wiring diagram or photo.

3. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Cool.

The 706 is a real 'across the waters' job. The body was made by Crucianelli in Italy, and the early models had necks made by Burns in London but the later ones had Italian made necks. The Burns necks have an approximation of a scroll on their top edge, the Italian ones were a more standard (almost Gretsch style) flat design.

The bodies and necks were shipped separately to the US where they were assembled by Baldwin at Lafayette. Interestingly, even when the necks and bodies were both made in Italy, they were shipped in separate containers as the import duty was much less for components than for complete guitar assemblies.

The pickups were made by ReAn in Italy. They look like humbucker but they're actually quite beefy single coils. They sound a bit like Dynasonic or Rickenbacker.

The circuit was pretty straightforward. I can't find a specific diagram but if you just follow a standard Gibson 2 volume, 2 tone circuit but use 500k log volume pots and 500k linear tone pots you won't be far away.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice