Back from a rainy open air gig

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by loudnlousy, Aug 18, 2019.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Over in Hannover there is a three-weeklong festival called the Maschsee-Fest.

Music from noon to 10 p.m., good food and drinks every day.
    It is a free for all festival that is quite an institution for decades.
    Several professional stages are built around the lake Maschsee which is located in the heart of Hannover.
    Very enjoyable event for the local families and many tourists.

It is not easy to land a gig there. And we were very fortunate to be the band to close the event at one of the nicests location there.

A stage at the lake surrounded by a romantic little forest. The place has an estimated capacity for ca. 600 persons.
    Although the weather was quite o.k. during the last few weeks today it rained cats and dogs.

We got so wet when loading our van it was ridiculous.
    Honestly we did not expect many people to be there.

We were lucky. As soon as we arrived the rain stopped and a couple of people entered the location. Some of them in Pettycoats and ready to dance.
    In the end my Evil Elvizz outfit had quite a good time with an audience of about 120 people. Anyway we put up the complete show with pyrotechnics and the whole enchilada that we usually drum up.

Still I am a bit disappointed because we had so big expectations towards this prestigious gig.

Hopefully the vew that came will spread the word about my band.
    The organizer gave us compliments. Hope he will book us again...
    Tomorrow after work I will have to clean all the dirt from my equipment. Around the stage it was as muddy as Woodstock. Our poor singer ruined two jewelled jumpsuites...
    Just trying to calm down a bit. Wake-up time will be in 5 hours ... good night , friends.

AAAh: Remember me to book at least one roadie next time. My back is aching although we travelled with light luggage (i.e. no fullstacks). I am getting old.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    JC higgy, gtttrrr, Floo and 11 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I just mowed my lawn and it started raining but I finished it .... hope that makes things a little better for ya

Charlie westside and loudnlousy like this.
  3. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s what I planned for yesterday but it was the first school day of our neighbour`s kid......So i did not want to disturb their celebration with the lawn mower`s noise.

Lionpotato and thunder58 like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That must be a cultural difference. We usually celebrate the last day in school... ;)

Glad to hear you survived the gig.

larryb, loudnlousy and Lionpotato like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    One of the stages we ran at the Uni was an outdoor bandshell. It could easily hold over 30K on the hillside. We'd do shows before and after football games, for the 4th of July with fireworks and the 1812 Overture (complete with howitzers) as well as rock shows. I've done shows there in 95F, and at 35F, both with horizontal precipitation, and, as always, Hoosier humidity. For the start of classes, there'd be 12 hours of free music. Then the crowd got surly. Flaming couch rolling down the hill, flying beer bottles hitting the stage, no security, and no hazardous duty pay. Much fun. At least I didn't have to pick up the trash.

I'd always get asked, "Do you think that it'll rain?" My answer was, "It's not IF, but WHEN, and How Much."

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    loudnlousy and Lionpotato like this.
  6. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Part of having your on group is having control over the environment. In 7 years of outdoor performing it never rained once. God is Good! Musicians need friends in high places.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool, I'll take that over standing on a stage in 113deg F sunlight.

8. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I had a rainy open air gig two weeks ago 5395F57E-EAA1-40C9-A7BA-CB419B047E96.jpeg 0E163E3D-DE93-4703-BB2A-44C9BB2A3415.jpeg 244AEE0B-F7A8-4873-B4E9-823AF6544CB1.jpeg 4D88A9E4-988C-4250-B6E8-ABB859324BE2.jpeg

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have been coming to Monkey island for 45 years and must have seen hundreds of religious processions pass by. Oddly I’ve only witnessed a single one once during rainfall.
    When I expressed my astonishment to a local the reply was, all communities have a spirital leader/“holy man” who can pray the rain away... Their Guy must clearly be good buddies with yours.;)

loudnlousy, pilgrim and audept like this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Never rains on Nyepi day. Oga-Oga scares the rain away!

loudnlousy and Ricochet like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    loudnlousy and nickurso like this.
  12. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Over here in Italy it’s exactly the opposite. Tons of gigs delayed or cancelled during the summer due to rain reports over the internet weather forecast, that then turned out to be a no rain day or night. Moreover, even when there’s no live music places open in summer just didn’t bother to open at all when internet said it was due rain.
    I’m no pro musician but many of my friends lost a lot of money because of that. I understand the club owners needs of not wasting money on having bands that couldn’t play (but still you have to give them the money anyway if the agreement says so), but here is really too much. Nobody wants to take a risk anymore.

loudnlousy likes this.
  13. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Yeah, They wear each others suits and double date!.......Sleeper.... Woody Allen....
    remembered by Rev. Robert Garner

Ricochet likes this.
  14. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Gretschie

Dec 3, 2011
    los angeles
    Now that’s what I call “ playing for exposure”!

Seriously, I understand the whole “the show must go on” discipline, but I don’t play in the pouring rain, and I don’t play in the bright sun uncovered! Every outside gig must have cover. I’m not going to bake/drench my skin, or my instruments/amps. There isn’t ANY gig worth risking health or safety. And if it’s not in the contract as such, I make sure it’s included.

loudnlousy and wabash slim like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tell that to 30K drunk alumni at a football pregame show.

loudnlousy likes this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Nope cut us off about an hour early. Now you know why I bought a squire tele

loudnlousy likes this.
  17. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I spent my Saturday pulling weeds in 80 temp. Sunny. Had it rained I would've gotten out of doing it

thunder58 and loudnlousy like this.
  18. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Awesome that you got the gig. A memory to cherish. Even with the wetness and mud and stuff.
    Hope you enjoyed it as much as the folks who attended did.

loudnlousy likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The stage was super professionally covered. No problem. The problem was that there was no cover for the crowd.

20. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Bühne_1_Insta_rgb_bl[1].jpg

We had a bit of luck on Friday. Rain the days before, rain in the morning, no rain from noon till the end of our gig, rain all weekend.
    As it's been said before, I also wouldn't do an open air without cover. Next Friday will be another outdoor gig, very nice stage and good PA, but I'm expecting mostly drunk folks as it's going to be 10:30pm at what is called "Hafenfest", kind of a fair with lots of food-and beer-stalls.

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice