Baby Blondeshell??

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Feb 14, 2020.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Ah, the "Down Under" cost! Fully understand.

I popped for a 12" Gold right after they came out. Hated paying that type of money for a speaker, but I took the dive.

Several amps have come and gone, but the Gold has always stayed. Love it in the right cab.

Honestly, for Tavo's BB, I would bet that the Celestion 10" Gold would be a great fit.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-watt-alnico-replacement-guitar-speaker-8-ohm

I may be all wet too. Lol

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Celestion Gold 12" is quite nice, especially once well broken in. Right now I'm favoring a newer weber silverbell (vox silver alnico) 100w I used in a closeback 112 cab.
    [​IMG]

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ordering 1 Gray Wolf alnico for a 1x12. I will post it once it is done. I think the Baby Blondeshell will like it.

On a side note, I am liking the Gray wolf enough and depending on how well I like this alnico I might go with the 100watt ceramic for the often dreamed about 4x12 straight cab to finish off the full stack I absolutely do not need, have no real use for, but really want to have! It would complement my triple xxx half stack. I have never been able to find the tx straight cab for sale in a price range that was even close to reasonable.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Waxhead likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have not tried it. I was thinking about the low power one but as you see above I will probably go with the Webers.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Alnico Gray Wolf

The deed is done, Weber Gray Wolf 8ohm 15 watts light dope on order.

Ricochet, Waxhead and G5422T like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Looking closely at this picture I have to ask. I don’t see a label on that bottle is it a home made brew of some sort? We were making our own root beer for awhile but for it to taste best we needed sugar to brew it so after a couple times we stopped. Maybe again this summer as a treat.

7. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Very nice!! How’s the Alnico version? I’m sporting the Weber Silver Bell/Grey Wolf combo in a 2x12. The Alnico x2 was too rich for me so I went with the ceramics. I dig the combo, powered by a Bassman.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks Tavo :D - how would you compare the 100w Weber Silverbell to the 12" Cel Gold or Cream.
    Very similar or substantially different?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Tighter low mids, slightly flatter "mids (gold was really nasally to me until I spritzed the cone w a water/vinegar mix, and played it super loud and clean for hrs, then it started to bloom)
    "and a smoother (than gold cel)top until saturation and then they growl w malty saturation, the gold stays open on top more at higher gain. some say the gold is fizzier. When I had the gold I never bothered to play anything but light overdrive and loud clean stuff through it w filtertrons. Kinda unfair since I tend to play more single coil guitars through this weber silver.

Bertotti and Waxhead like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks Tavo :D

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well the wait is still on but now I’m considering ordering a 10” alnico silver bell and blue pup. Not set on it yet It will depend on the grey wolf. I’m hoping the Baby Blondeshell can drive the 12” just fine if not it will still be used with some other amps I have and I will fall back on a 2x10 or finally break down and order the Fryette. I know I keep talking about it but speakers call to me and it is hard to justify the Fryette price.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Waxhead likes this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I thought that was the Black&Blue? The Blackhawk being an EV/SRO clone.

When the first WGS hit the market(a little over a decade ago?) with their Celestion clones they were 40 bucks. A no-brainer if you lived in the US.
    It’s funny that with increasing succes of the company, and increasing aspirations perhaps(read R&D), the price difference with Celestions is not that big anymore.

G5422T and Waxhead like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Got my notice the Gray Wolf is in a truck and scheduled for end of day Saturday. I will be home all day Saturday!

TV the Wired Turtle and Waxhead like this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    gonna do the cone spritz bit?

15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not initially, I want to hear it out of the box first.

16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    does any speaker really sound good straight out of the box? :) Even w me paying extra on my weber californias for "break in", it takes an hr of solid, hard hitting tube amp and gretsch to unclog the pores :)

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep, I’m going to take a Satriani album and blue tooth it through the can from one of the little hybrid amps. The AtomiC or Micro Dark. Play it through for a few hours starting at a low volume then moving a bit louder over time and see what happens.

new6659 and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    not bad listening choice but I'm thinking Beastie Boys "pauls boutique" would get it there faster :) :)

Bertotti likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do t own any of their stuff although I could get it from iTunes. I may throw in Judas Priest instead. But for just guitar to start with its Joe. Then move on some Priest, some SRV, Rumjacks, Coors, old cowboys tunes, bit of electronics at lower volumes. Etc mix it up! Lastly the Marine Corps Hymn oh wait need to get some Puddle of Mudd and CCR Clash Drowning Pool Carpenters Eagles. You name It may just throw the computer on random

20. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Breaking the Law and Turbo Lover!!!

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice