Audio Interfaces

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Hammerhands, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Any recommendations for a cheap one?

I would like one that will work with an iPad, prefer 24/192. First job will be to plug in a line-level record player.

2. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
  3. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Presonus audiobox usb comes with software for recording.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I had the first presonus firebox and then they refused to update it when mac did a software update. I now have a Zen Tour, saved two years to get one from a company that seemed to update their products rather then obsoleting them to quickly. Truth is a lot of the entry-level interfaces are respectable units. As always I suggest figuring out your budget then figure out how long you would need to double it.

5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a Behriger 404UHD, would recommend it.
    Let the haters hate, the thing far surpasses it's price point.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  7. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I have a Focusrite Scarlet Solo. Using Reaper DAW software. It is affordable and I have lots of room to grow with it.

Waxhead, MotorCentaur and pmac11 like this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus 1 on Reaper!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

panhead6zero and MotorCentaur like this.
  9. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I had a really expensive interface that I inherited from my son, who's a producer. I managed to bust it and he said he'd try to wangle me something else. In the meantime I bought a Behringer Um2 as a temporary stopgap. 25 quid. It's stupidly good for the money, I told my son not to worry about finding me another.

Dave-B and pmac11 like this.
  10. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    You should be able to connect any usb audio interface to your iPad. You just need an adapter. I have the Behringer UMC204HD and am happy with it - great value. I don't record with an iPad though.

Your iPad already comes with Garageband which is a perfectly fine DAW.

pmac11 likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Haven't tried my Focusrite Scarlett 2:4 Version 1 with the iPad 4 mini yet... but support pages says it should. https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...n-I-use-my-bus-powered-Scarlett-with-an-iPad-

Regarding the record player. As long as you don't use the Solo it should be possible. Read this first though.
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...e-record-deck-through-my-Focusrite-interface-

Signal purity will be pre-amp dependent and Focusrite arguably has one of the better pre-amps in consumer grade audio interfaces, or so I read.

Great. Now I'm thinking about upgrading the Scarlett v1 to v3. Not even sure why. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  12. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I was thinking that I would want something like the Steinberg UR44 that has a DSP and you can run plugins on, but I’m reading that the latency for these interfaces is very low and you don’t need DSP now? But that may not be true for the iPad?

I would get the Steinberg UR242 if there was one available.

The record player in question has an preamp in it, it has a line-level output.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice