Wanted Atomic Brain

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell or Trade Negotiations' started by Hamoftruth, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Hamoftruth

Hamoftruth Electromatic

Mar 16, 2017
    PA
    Sold my Mystery Brain because I'm using different delay pedals these days but I still want that sweet preamp side of things. Anybody have an extra one lying around? I'm partial to pretty colors ;)

2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    This early blue metal flake has been hanging around Reverb for two weeks. Maybe shoot an offer his way. These are the ones where the boxes were made from melted down aluminum engine heads.

https://reverb.com/item/27246801-mint-nocturne-atomic-brain-2011-blue-sparkle

But if you can wait. Tavo has a new Atomic Brain coming out that is supposedly switchable from the Atomic, Bass Brain, and Billy Brain. The Billy is for Master Volume amps. I have no idea on the release date.

69CBA548-C8D2-4946-B1B1-FEF01AF35F79.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  3. Hamoftruth

Hamoftruth Electromatic

Mar 16, 2017
    PA
    Hmm that has me quite intrigued! If anyone has any more details I'd love to hear them.

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looking again it says late fall. Might be worth the wait as it’s more versatile. Although the blue sparkle is lovely and will likely get the job done as well. This was the thread.

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/prototype-brain-pedal.193546/

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ohhh! That is beautiful.....get that one! I have two of these old one's and I'm KEEPING them.

Merc likes this.
  6. Hamoftruth

Hamoftruth Electromatic

Mar 16, 2017
    PA
    Do they take up much real estate compared to the newer small box ones? Is this a fair going price for one (more than brand new)?

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The early ones are beautiful and have a certain cool factor to them being 100% hand wired. I think there will always be a demand. The new ones are surely cool and hold their own, but these were hand sprayed and flaked.

wildeman likes this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    To me that price is good, Tavo don't make them like that no more. If i wasn't havin two already I'd buy that right now.
    ........**** man, do pedals really EVER get any cooler than that?
    I might still buy that.......o_O
    My Brains on display 20190907_203447.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Merc and Hamoftruth like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Word!

Merc likes this.
  10. Hamoftruth

Hamoftruth Electromatic

Mar 16, 2017
    PA
    Very nice, I think I'll make an offer. It is a lovely blue and I'm a sucker for sparkle finishes.

Merc and wildeman like this.
  11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Those early NY boxes were so cool and it was fun to paint them. ( egads I was 40lbs fatter back then)
    IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_0081.JPG
    For what its worth though, the circuits were upgraded once the flat top boxes came into play. I learned about better audio filtering and improved the bass cut control so that when you dial it back before 11 oclock, it starts rolling off the fatter frequencies and you end up w a modern transparent preamp by the time the dial is back at 7 oclock. Also the larger flat boxes and the smaller flat boxes w the LED half way between the knobs and stomps are all fully handwired. It wasnt until 2 yrs ago when the LEDs on the smaller boxes moved down to right above the stomp switches that I started using universal brain preamp boards to improve production turn around.(large box version are still handwired w some hand picked components)
    Once the gorilla graduated and started college his work time was cut in half and I was left doing all his work plus mine. (he started working w me at 13yrs old and now he's 23 ..sniffle sniffle)

Now he's graduated w a degree in psych and starting his master's program so he's only going to work 3x a week for 2 hrs, so I'm doing an even newer board that has all the components on it except for jacks, switches, and pots. Between he and I, we can have these soldered in half the time of the others and I can do final installation, test and get help from my wife with shipping. It used to take almost 3 hrs to wire a pedal from start to finish, now its about half that time at my shop, dont know how much it takes my circuit board guy to solder the boards back east but he still charges me a lot. :)

(got 2 orange v.4 available now if anyone doesnt wanna wait)

Merc likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That’s a killer pair!

wildeman likes this.
  13. Hamoftruth

Hamoftruth Electromatic

Mar 16, 2017
    PA
    Welp I already bought the blue sparkle slant top one, hopefully the bass cut control is still pretty usable since I think it's one of the best features in the preamp, great for reining in some of those super low hollowbody frequencies.

Merc likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Congrats, it works great. You will love it.

Merc likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’m sure it’ll do it’s part. It is an Atomic. If not I’m sure you’ll be able to unload it fairly easy enough.

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    just a FWIW.. when I first added that bass cut, which is not a feature on an actual RE-301 space echo preamp.. the goal was to create something to attenuate the huge low end punch when the gain was dimed. A closed back 212 bassman cab like setzers (for ref. only, as I dont perform any setzer music in my band) can handle the full sonic footprint but an open back 112 combo will start farting out in the low end. That where the bass cut came in handy.. In the days of the slant top NY boxes, I would get complaints that the bass cut "Wasnt doing anything" but it always ended up coming from a guy playing quietly through some mini 5 watt amp. There is no way to experience what is happening with that set up or at lower volume. In any case, the new bass cut modification works with any amp and is quite useful at all volumes.. ps. I dont have a lot of time for mods these days but..If you want it modified I can do it for $35+ship

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice