Artist Signature Models Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Yukimajo, Jan 27, 2019.

1. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Same here... I've an 'ironic' budget end signature bass guitar - the signaturee (is that a word?) is a friend of a friend...
    ...and I've built a couple of guitars based on the spec tweeks of a couple of well known guitarists - a Squier based Johnny Marr replica, and a Fender Mexican '50 based 'replica' of Dave Gilmour's red EMG equipped guitar. Neither because I'm fans or want their sound, but because they are actually very useful mods. The Jag is in a colour that the Marr is unlikely to ever be offered in - CA Red - and the Strat has never actually been a signature model, and is surf green.

If I hadn't already built my own, the Marr Jaguar is something I'd seriouly consider, since the mods cured all the annoyances of the Jag without ruining the character and Fender doesn't charge crazy money for it, it may even be cheaper than the Vintage Reissues? The nearest thing to the Gilmour guitar would be the Clapton Signature - different electronics but they do the same thingz, again, very reasonably priced.

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You guy's are in luck, it's surprisingly similar to a SSL

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, the good (to me) sig models are actually a better value than the "standard" ones they are based off of. My Marr-guar and Lee JM being prime examples, they were both cheaper than the AVRIs that came off the same lines and included a lot of what I considered to be upgrades over them.

There are clear cash grab sigs to be certain, but there are also a whole lot of value added ones IMO.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Don't really care who's name is on there, as long as i like the features on the guitar ,i'm in.

I have 6 Chet models and a Setzer,i'd like a Jimmy Vaughan Synchromatic 400.

That Johnny Marr Jag is lovely btw.:cool:

Love the cherry red Freddie King ES345 too.:cool::cool:

Now what else,oh yes,a signed Scotty Moore ES295 ,yes please.:cool::cool::cool:

dak55, Merc, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have only two signature models in my entire collection... First is the Bo Diddley model, and I don't mind his signature at all, since the guitar is so distinctive, and I've customized it to make it my own.
    [​IMG]

The only other "signature guitar" I own is the Yamaha SA503TVL... Which is the Troy Van Leeuwen model... Best part is that his signature is nowhere to be found on the guitar itself, and the electronics are exclusive to this particular model.

[​IMG]

wildeman and Yukimajo like this.
  6. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    For me it would have to be the Billy Duffy Falcon, but they are so rare I've never seen one in the wild, just in pics and reviews. I love the blacktops, Chet arm, maple ply top, lacquer finish!!

Am I drooling just a bit??

Maybe the only guitar I'd give up my JagTan for!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Sid Nitzerglobin and Yukimajo like this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    pmac11 likes this.
  8. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Yes I just posted the earlier. I think he's definitely retiring but this is just like him. Last time he did a big thing for charity he sold his house and gave the money to homeless charities.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

englishman and pmac11 like this.
  9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I have to say, Stratocaster #0001 looks like a cool piece of history also.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 5.42.07 PM.png

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  10. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Yes but he wants that to be played.... I'd be too scared! I'd be charging admission to look at it. And to pay for it!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

englishman likes this.
  11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Mr. Gilmour's generosity is inspiring. What an amazing gift to charity.

12. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    It is, but in fairness, it's a drop in the ocean to him. Some cynics are suggesting it's a tax write-off... I'm not one, but he strikes me as the type who likes to keep 'the main instruments' at his studio rather than in a lock-up. Could be that getting insurance is becoming impossible - not financially, but actually finding someone who will.
    Bernie Marsden has said in the past that he thinks about selling his '59 LP, because he can no longer afford to have it at his house.

new6659 likes this.
  13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, her number one was a 1958 6120. I’d just have to make a custom truss cover with her name.

14. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    My Johnny Marr Jaguar. The only signature model i ever owned and i bought it because of the specs not because of the player. In fact i hated the Smiths in the 80s because i thought they were namby pamby brats and i was into angrier stuff like Killing Joke, The Birthday Party and The Southern Death Cult. Anyhow the Johnny Marr Jaguar is such a well crafted and thoughtfully appointed version. I sold mine anout 7 months ago.... and just bought another one yesterday because i missed it so bad. And i still dont like the Smiths but i have come to understand that JM knows a thing or two about playing.

Attached Files:

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Such a cool guitar.
    Congrats.
    I still have a soft spot for the Smiths even though I haven’t really listened to them voluntarily since I was in High school.
    Love the Birthday Party, early Killing Joke, and Southern Death Cult, Death Cult, Cult.

mbkri likes this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Can't believe I forgot about the Duffy Falcon.... That's definitely on my list of Sig models I would like to own even though I've never really listened to much of him.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Yukimajo and mbkri like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Oh go on then,i'll take an Eddie Cochran 6120 too.:cool:

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  18. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    Knopfler strat owner here.

I'm a fan but lucky for me it also happens to be the best guitar I own.

Oh, I have a nice Les Paul as well... And an Epiphone Chet Atkins.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Oddly enough, ive listened to a massive amount of him and i love his playing, but for me a falcon has to have a vertical logo and stepped tuners. This guitar in the hands of Billy Duffy is so much of what i love about rock, but this guitar in my hands is just a Falcon with some of the best bits missing!

pmac11 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  20. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    See I never even knew it was a Falcon until after I had the chance drool on and take a test spin of a customer's example, I just loved the look feel and sound :) I guess the sparkle purfling and dipped headstock should have been big clues ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    mbkri likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice