Artist Signature Models Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Yukimajo, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t care about artist models, I just buy what fits me. I do like that some folks like Troy Van Leeuwen deliberately made their models affordable, but then again it’s not like TVL has the footprint to command silly prices. Same with the O’Brien Stratocaster. The neck is awesome on that Strat, and I’m considering one just for the sustaining feature. Anywho, TVL, an awesome MIM guitar, worth the 1300+ price.

My entry: Neil’s Old Black.

2. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Another one interested in Sustainers @BorderRadio. I used to own a Fernandes 'The Function' with sustainer and it was an incredibly good guitar. I recently picked up a Fernandes Monterey Sustainer (Les Paul style) which has exactly the same sustainer unit but, unfortunately, no trem. I would go for a Fernandes guitar every time when looking for a sutainer equipped machine as they really are very, very well made and seem to be very reasonably priced when you can find them on the used market. I am currently trolling the internet in hopes of coming across someone in Europe selling the model I used to own.

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

A few years back I got a Takamine Glenn Frey Signature model, and I feel in love with it's tone. It was an exact spec of Glenn's #1, and it was a wonderful guitar in every way. Eventually, I began to understand that Takamine necks are just not quite right for me. I can play them fine, but after a while I'm just not enjoying it like I should. Knowing that great tone is in the fingers/hands, I knew it was the perfect guitar for Glenn Frey's fingers/hands, but not for mine.

I don't have a bias against signature guitars, and I would love to try out an Eric Clapton Strat, or a David Gilmour Strat sometime. Although I would enjoy trying out the unique features of each Strat, I would be much more critical about whether it is something that appeals to my hands, and that might take quite a while of playing before I would know.

Until then, the guitars that I have kept though the years are the ones that fit me, and my hands/fingers give then my uniquely lousy tone. ;):D jk

4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I'll second that! I love SGs (though I don't own one), and I still remember how The Fool SG captured my imagination when I saw it on a Cream album cover when I was 14.

For now, the only signature model in my arsenal is the excellent Peter Erskine signature "ride" drumstick. I'm a drummer first and a guitarist second, and this is just a perfect stick.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Signature sticks are definitely cheaper than a signature guitar!

Alberta_Slim and section2 like this.
  6. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Either RRH or Harrison duo jet for me. Technically the Country Gent is an Atkins sig model which would’ve been #1 on my wish list, but I got to cross that one off :D

Yukimajo likes this.
  7. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Gretschie

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    FB8AC9E0-91DF-42BF-A440-7447CF5B2086.png I’d go with the Duane Eddy 6 string bass myself.

Yukimajo and Henry like this.
  8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If Gretsch ever made a Poison Ivy 6120 sig, i’d probably be a sucker and have to get one!
    @Trash Kidd would need one too I’m sure!
    It’ll never happen though.
    72AD604C-A2B9-41B2-81C7-D3B704D2B169.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Built from the ground up? The Jack bass was based on the Gibson Les Paul bass from the '70's. They did it as an Epiphone so it would be cheaper to manufacture. So in reality, it's a double signature model!

I own a Les Paul guitar and have had a Chet Atkins one as well, so those are signature guitars I'd use. :D

Yukimajo likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That and the Billy Bo!!

11. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I have five. Clapton Blackie Strat, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Strat, Hendrix Monterey Strat, and RHH and Setzer Hot Rod 6120s. Bought all of them because I liked something about the guitar, not for the name or signature.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The Epi John Lee Hooker is tempting and i hear a George Thorogood Epi is coming, it will be a white ES 125tdc thingy.

Yukimajo likes this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’m partial to one of the original signature models. Les Paul

pmac11, LivingMyDream and Yukimajo like this.
  14. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I've always felt signature models are over-priced marketing gimmicks... with the exception of the George Harrison Duo Jet and Ric 360/12C63, both of which I long for.

15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That pickup set ROCKS, I love them and the USB charging for the onboard battery.

Jet_streamliner likes this.
  16. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

5EC7BA72-F4D6-4431-9B4E-2FE0E79E8E1E.jpeg This is a pretty good one. Man’s a fine artist.

Alberta_Slim and Yukimajo like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Signature guitars are fine in my book as long as I like it for what it is and not because of the signature itself. If you don’t like the sig, just swap out the pickguard or truss rod cover if it’s on there. Of course it’s got to be reasonably priced either new or used.

Robbie, ponca and Yukimajo like this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Definitely! ;)

Yukimajo likes this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. Add to this that I'm Lefty and all is said... :D

A+!

20. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    Merc, Jockabilly and Yukimajo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice