Artist Signature Models Poll

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Yukimajo, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    With Fender's recent announcement of the cost of the Jimmy Page Dragon Tele, it got me thinking about what sig models I would like. So here is another hypothetical fantasy shopping thread!

The Fairy Guitar Godmother appears and says that you can have one signature model but the only caveat is that it has to be something for your own collection; no getting the Jimmy Tele so you can trade it in.

I tried to be avaricious about this but came to the inescapable conclusion that there are one signature guitar I would like:

The Epiphone Jack Casady Bass

As a bassist there are a few signature models, but they don't really vary from the stock models too much. The JC Bass, however, is an entirely different beast.

I did think about the 12 string Tom Peterson White Falcon Bass, but I wouldn't know what to do with it!

Over to you GT...

Armygirl likes this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I saw that Ed Sheeren has just launched, at NAMM this weekend, a signature range with Northern Irish brand Lowden, who are known for their hand made, one off guitars, which cost a pretty penny. He wanted it to be 'affordable' and to encourage more kids to buy them and to get into playing more, so he has the smaller Wee Lowden in the range. I thought this was a brilliant idea. Youngsters love Ed and he has encouraged so many to play. His last signature Little Martin was about £500-600 so anything affordable would be good after that. So you can imagine how flummoxed I was to find that his new range of affordable guitars, for kids and beginners, is priced from £595-965! Who are you trying to kid Ed??? How many kids have patents willing to drop the best part of a grand on an acoustic guitar?? I bet even his don't!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    pmac11, Alberta_Slim and Yukimajo like this.
  3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Owning an artist sig model to me is pointless. It won't make me sound like the artist in question, and the prices are usually insane. Sure, it's a tribute, but, what does that really mean? The artist likely doesn't see any of the profits, and even if they did, they don't need my money. Enjoy the music instead. A name doesn't add any value.

That all being said, I do have an "artist model" of sorts. I've got a '88-ish Peavey Generation III, which became the Cropper Special (Steve Cropper of Blues Bros., Booker T. & the MG's, and STAX fame). It isn't his sig model, per se, but it is the guitar he picked for it. It fills my Tele needs quite nicely.

4. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I generally agree, but Jack and Epiphone built this bass from the ground up as an instrument for Jack to play and they just happen to sell it as well. I have had a go on one and they are lovely basses.

5. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I agree with Wabash. I haven't seen an Artist Signature model that is a guitar that is actually right for me. Sure there are many guitarists I admire but none play the same as me or are shaped exactly like me and so what's right for them is probably not what is going to be right for me.

I have always felt somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of 'signature' anything. Strikes me as being a bit like playing 'dress up'. Many years ago I was rather flummoxed at a motorcyle racing event when a chap pulled up next to me in the bike park riding a Carl Fogerty replica Ducati, wearing Carl Fogerty leathers and helmet and, when he took the helmet off he most certainly wasn't Carl Fogerty.

Yukimajo and Alberta_Slim like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would like a 6120 DSW.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, i’d certainly like to have a 6120 nashville chet.
    The RHH model is pretty cool too.

radd, Yukimajo and Alberta_Slim like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have the one I wanted, the first signature Strat Fender made, done in the 80’s, the Eric Clapton Strat. They have been making it for about 30 yrs. No, It did not make play like EC but I love the mid boost and soft V neck on the guitar.

51DCC0A4-37FD-4B2E-B38B-B81F695D59B0.jpeg

MKunie, swivel, Daktari9 and 5 others like this.
  9. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Since I'm really only interested in Gretsch, I guess RRH or Setzer sig for me!

Yukimajo and Alberta_Slim like this.
  10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I like good guitars personally, unless it's a sig of someone I totally hate I won't let one being a signature model stop me from buying one if it clicks w/ me.

I've got 6 sig models (a Joan Jett Melody Maker, a Lee Ranaldo Jazzblaster, a Johnny Marr Jag, a St. Vincent, a Wattplower, and a Valentine) and I would only classify myself a "fan" of Lee and Watt. All of them have significant advantages over the "standard" versions of the instruments they are based on for me (& the Wattplower, St. Vincent, & Valentine are pretty much entirely their own things). For me, it's got zero to do w/ "playing dressup" and very little to do w/ a quest to sound exactly like the artists whose sig model they are.

I'm sure there are others, but the 2 sigs I could see picking up in the future that spring to mind at the moment are a single coil, vibrato version of an EBMM Albert Lee:
    [​IMG]
    and a Fender Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang Bass:
    [​IMG]

MKunie, Henry and radd like this.
  11. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Frankly I'd be over the moon to have a DSW, Setzer, Cochran, RHH, Duane Eddy or maybe most of all given what Synchro had to say about his, a Hall of Fame Country Gentleman! But since this is fantasy time...

An Epiphone Emperor Junior Barnard Signature. Carved top, repro DeArmond FHC Guitar Mic. With matching amp. Yeah, right. :D

EDIT: Should point out in case some poor soul is taken in by my fantasy that it is just that: there’s no such model and never will be. I guess if the fairy godmother came and offered one existing signature guitar it would have to be the Hall of Fame.

pmac11 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I don’t like most signature model guitars because they just seem like an attempt to get you to buy something based on someone else’s name especially with high end Gibson guitars or fender like these jimmy page model tele’s.
    I do think gretsch gets it right with theirs I own a 6120ssugr and that’s a setzer model. I bought it because it cage with everything I wanted in a hollow body gretsch. I think Gibson did a great job with the Lucile guitar and also fender with a few of the strays including the SRV although I would take the pick guard off it.

Robbie, new6659, pmac11 and 1 other person like this.
  13. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I'll play....I would take the Clapton Fool SG, because it is the guitar that my musical idol, Todd Rundgren is well know to have used...and, I don't even care much for SG's.
    CLAPTON_02.jpg

section2, Yukimajo and radd like this.
  14. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    0CE96FFF-00B3-40A4-875C-36465B843E68.jpeg I tried this one recently over in WI. Reverend Greg Koch signature “Gristlemaster”. Loved the pickups so will probably buy a set of his Fishman Fluences for my existing Schecter PT. She’s pricey for a Korean guitar (debating springing for one or going the much more cost effective route). But, having owned and enjoyed a few Revs - know they’re a great instrument.

nickurso, Yukimajo and radd like this.
  15. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Collingwood, ON Canada
    G6120 EC Sig horth.jpg

MKunie, eggvan, nickurso and 5 others like this.
  16. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    I'd love a Music Man Valentine. Not a fan but love the guitar

Yukimajo and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Music Man Albert Lee SSS for me, translucent blue. I like Albert Lee, but that is irrelevant, I just like the look of the guitar.

18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
  19. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    pmac11, Yukimajo and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have heard good things about that bass as well. It's a remake of an earlier model with some of Jack's personal touches added in. The only other two artists' models that have actually done well are Chet's and Les Paul's.

Yukimajo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice