Are You Infected with Triple Disease Guns, Guitars, & Cars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by rcboals, Jul 11, 2009.

1. yettoblaster

yettoblaster Synchromatic

Oct 9, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA

It'll take a few days to locate, scan, photobucket, and post pics (if I can find any worth a look). Sorry no sound bites.

Most of his projects are gone now except his current love: a BMW 325i we just did the front oil seal and waterpump on.

What was REALLY fun was his '62 Chev pickup with the 454 w highrise on it. Man, that thing shook the ground! Unforyunately it sucked a valve on a road trip to Wash. Somewhere in Whidbey Island there's a happy tattoo artist with a big block earth shaker.

The 350 in his Chevelle (& later the 240) had the biggest cam you could run without roller lifters and a Holley 650cfm. Finally it got a nice rebuilt Saginaw 4-speed, but we tried to kill ourselves with bad brakes and a 3-spd Muncie (I think). It's been a few years since I've built any engines and HE'S the man for hot-rodding. I always rebuilt for longevity, but kids: you know...

2. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

I do not believe that any law enforcement are carrying 10mm any longer. FBI are carrying .40S&W with the exception of their SWAT teams which get the .45 caliber 1911 TRP from Springfield Armory. Springfield won a contract to provide them with 5,000 units a year. Really nice pistol.

Must agree with you regarding the 12 GA. for home defense. There are actually three 12 gauge shotguns in the photo below. :)

Attached Files:

3. Yetto, hate to see you go to too much trouble. I'm sure that tatoo artist is still grinnin'. Hate to say it, but I'd be thrilled to see that dude (the truck) as well. Any Grandson Gearheads?

Guitar farm I meant to ask about those shotguns. Sounds like you're right about the 10mm.

2 pistols I need to pick up.

First will likely be a Springfield, although leaning towards an XD, probably a 40 but you've all got me thinking about .45's again.

I do want to look over and shoot a Baretta PX4 in a .40 as well. Was always intrigued by the action of their Couger, which are now being made by another company overseas they sold the rights to and I think they may have kind of absorbed as a subsidiary or something.

The other I've owned before and will likely be the first I pick up. Love to spend time in the mountains and they're some grizzleys around. Rugers .454. Not as insane as some might initially think. For the home, they'll chamber a .45 Colt.

And it didn't occur me until now the applicability of the term G.A.S.

4. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

It seems that Beretta sold their rights to Taurus. Taurus, a gun manufacturer in Brazil, is now carrying what appears to be nearly a full line of Berettas. Even the old Beretta model numbers are thinly disguised. For instance, the venerable 92F is now named the 92B-17. There is also a 19+1 model in 9mm as well. Their new 800 Series weapons look vaguely interesting, closely resembling the new Walthers in style and features. Whether or not there is actual quality there remains to be seen however. Not sure what they are asking for them either. I would compare them price-wise with H&K's USP models and similar Sig Sauers (220, 226 and 229 for instance) and, if the difference in price weren't too great, I would be more likely to stick with the West Germans. I own both H&Ks and SIGs and can attest to their remarkable reliability.

5. Baretta to Taurus? This is news to me. The company I was thinking of now making the Couger is Stoeger, I believe. Think they're in Turkey. Read a great article I've still got laying around somewhere a couple 3 years ago. That's what made me aware of the PX4.

When I shopped for a .454 I considered the Taurus. Can't recall the model, but the wickedest looking revolver I've seen. But it's made, like you said in Brazil and holds only 5 rounds, where as Ruger's as American as apple pie and holds 6.

Always thought wickedest looker in an auto is the Israeli Arms Desert Eagle.

What are them shotguns and if you get a chance, wonder if you can tell me what the guitar Steven's playing in the Buffalo Springfield video Sleepy posted in the celeberty GreTsch guitar thread last night.

6. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Gretschie

Nov 22, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I'm about to get 2 out of 3.

I'm not into cars at all, but I've been interested in firearms lately. Strange considering how I was raised and how I always felt about guns and their politics. Many things have changed my mind about the subject (most gun violence is from stolen, unregistered, or illegal firearms - the VAST majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens). From gun control to future NRA member :)

I've noticed many forum members are often obsessed about guitars and at least one or two other things and post in other forums. From fishing, to vintage VWs, to all sorts of things.

7. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Pulled straight from Wikipedia. And, of course, if it's in Wikipedia, it must be true. :D

"The Beretta 92 was designed for sports and law enforcement use and, due to its reliability, was accepted by military users in South America. A large contract for the Beretta 92 was with the Brazilian army, for which Beretta set up a factory in Brazil. This factory was later sold to the Brazilian gunmaker Taurus. Taurus made pistols under license from Beretta based on the original Beretta 92, calling it the PT92. The PT92 can be distinguished from its' Beretta counterpart primarily by having the safety mounted on the frame as opposed to on the slide like the Beretta."

Now, of course, we all know about the legendary reliability of the Beretta. :rolleyes: Lots of one-eyed soldiers running around can attest to the slide failures. I would think that the revolvers would be O.K. though. I have a new Taurus catalog sitting on my desk right now and, judging by the line of pistols in it, they are manufacturing a complete line of Berettas with the Taurus name on the side. No, I am not planning a Taurus purchase. The girl who sits next to me is gun shopping.

The shotguns you asked about are made by Saiga. The Saiga-12 is a Russian-made shotgun based on the AK frame and action. Cheap stamped sheet metal components as you would expect but, like an AK-47, they do tend to function well. There is a wide range of customizable bolt-ons for the weapon and American-made aftermarket large capacity magazines make this a homeowners dream come true. If this thing cannot clear a hallway or stairwell fast, nothing will.

I have no idea about the guitar question. I haven't seen the video.

8. Thank's for all that. I'd no idea about the Saigas, either.

9. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle Country Gent

May 9, 2009
    KRAPROOM
    This is super nice. I want one.

10. patrickjcrum

patrickjcrum Gretschie

Nov 4, 2008
    Ohio
  11. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Wow, you have all kinds of toys there!

12. LastsGal

LastsGal Electromatic

Jul 18, 2009
    Wildwood, MO
    Nice! I'm envious. I want a '72 or '73. I can't decide on the chrome. We have a '91 and it's cool, but I just love the early 70's vettes.

I keep telling the hubby I want to go shooting. Maybe after I finish this 5E3 build, he'll reward me with a trip to the range. :cool:

I like amps & guitars. Does that count?

13. yettoblaster

yettoblaster Synchromatic

Oct 9, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA

I think the chip port (for the camera) has been fixed, so maybe in a day or so I can post some pics of some various motorhead interest. We'll see.
    As for grandsons, they've had some cars and trucks, but nothing beyond generic Saab, Dodge pickup, etc.

However our son in law (the grandkids dad) has a shop behind their house and he's done frame-off restorations, and had a short-track Sportsman class stocker for a while. I'm sure my wife's account has pics right in this lil' ol' computor somewhere. He can shoot paint like I've never seen (nothing fancy or ornate, but buddy there ain't no orangepeel allowed) hoss!

He had a beautiful '57 Chev pu with his race motor in it and a locked rear end, but he traded (and got big money too) for a BMW 535. I really related to that '57, 'cause I had a '56 Apache (235ci) I learned a whole lot about wrenchin' on.

Hate to keep puttin' you off on pics, buts thems the breaks when yer waitin' on geezers, sonny.:rolleyes:

14. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Did I start a good thread or what?

15. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Gosh, I love that Enfield bike!!! The suzuki isn't bad either, I'd have a solo seat on it (for me)!

16. Sarah93003

If it were me I'd go with the '72 so you have chrome bumpers on the front and back. The advantage of having a '75 or later out here is that Leaded Premium gas is hard to find these days. My favorite year is 1962. Nowadays though I think if I got another toy it would be an old pickup truck that has been modernized. Something like a 1940 Wyllis or 1958 Chevy Apache but with a modern unleaded motor, air, nice interior, power everything. Yep, that would do nicely!

17. Sarah93003

I reckon so! It's certainly a long one.

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Everything GM made from '71 on was designed to be compatible with unleaded GAS. In '72 all of the other manufacturers followed suit. Where that's concerned small block Chevys before that don't seem to have much of a problem with unleaded and if they do it's just a matter of installing hardened valve seats.

19. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

You young ladies have excellent taste in Vettes. :) I've always loved the sexy lines of the Stingrays.

20. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Excellent thread. Second only maybe to the pet thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice