Are they making a mockery of the U.S. Anthem, or what?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stingker, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrickwallJackson

BrickwallJackson Country Gent

Aug 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    rotflmao!! :d

2. 54Memphis

54Memphis Former Member

Apr 20, 2010
    West Germany, shores of the Rhine
    It´s hard to find good personnel these times..

A few years ago a German singer by the name of Sarah Connor spoiled the German anthem in public (Beginning of a soccer match). The line was

"blüh´ im Glanze dieses Glückes" / Bloom in this fortune's blessing

She sang: "brüh´ im Glanze dieses Glückes" / boil in this fortune's blessing

embarrassing....

3. OpenMike1963

OpenMike1963 Country Gent

Mar 30, 2009
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I don't see how this becomes a "mockery": That indicates intent where there is none. She just screwed up, but I seriously doubt she intended to.

Yes, it's quite insulting to the millions of upstanding patriots who expect a proper and uplifting rendition of our national anthem and there ought to be some sort of penalty: I would like to see her banned from ever performing it at another event. But let's not allow our emotions to get ahead of us: As she is a professional, the error should be taken as neglect, but not an affront to the nation. Those are two distinct offenses.

My 2 cents
    -OpenMike

4. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    that wasn't too bad...
    you should hear what our national soccer team is actually singing during the italian anthem, I'm just talking about the lyrics...
    umhhhh can you see, by the dooo m ehm ly naaaaa.
    ok that was bad by the way, maybe she just spent the night on a bottle, in a bottle...

5. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    I don't feel insulted in the least. She embarrassed herself, not the nation or me as a citizen.

6. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    The problem for me is that she was not the only one who was responsible for her performance. Are you kidding? No. Not when each second of airtime is so astronomically expensive.

I can't believe her performance was any kind of accident, even if the performer was just a ditz. But I suppose it can't be 'proven.' "The proof is in the pudding." That's my view.

I suppose that seems fantastic. Certainly the Star Spangled Banner still waves, - but o'er the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave? - When they're molesting people, and our teenage kids, just during routine travel? And drugging children to submit to boring classes? They don't even bother to pretend to even have any kind of 'child socialization theory,' at all! And no one even thinks it matters or is important.

It reminds me of that old song by Jonathan King:
    Everyone's Gone to the Moon

Tom - Stingker

7. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    As a citizen who cares about the Ideals our Nation was founded on and is supposed to uphold, I am embarrassed as a citizen of my Nation. :eek:

But not for my part in supporting the Ideals of the U.S.A. that make it a Great Nation.

Tom - Stingker :eek:

8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Well most of the times its performed in Ab or Bb and it changes octaves. It really should be done in Gmaj so anybody can sing without too much difficulty.

Other people seem to forget that it is a poem shoe-horned into a an existing song.

Most of the time it is pre-recorded and then lip-synced to prevent any embarassing gaffes like the one C.A. experienced. At least she did it live.

9. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Yes, I've heard the same that its one of the hardest songs to sing. However, I can tell you its not because I used to sing it at Basketball games in Highschool and I'm no Sinatra. The only tricky thing about it is making sure you breathe in the right places, otherwise it doesn't sound right. Also remembering the words.

While I don't want to be mistaken for supporting her, don't forget about the large amounts of stress heaped upon a singer doing the National Anthem at the Superbowl. Estimates range that 111 million people watched it. That's 1/3rd of this country! Anyone would freak out about that and possibly make a mistake. Your nerves are going haywire.

I honestly don't know why they bothered to follow up with Christina after Lea Michele from Glee TOTALLY OWNED "America the Beautiful". I would have loved to have heard Lea Michele sing it. She has a far superior voice. Christina has lost hers over the past few years.

Stingker, do you actually think the NFL is interested in being respectful? They're interested in making BUTTLOADS of cash. That's why they booked her. And that's why they gave us one of the worst Superbowl Halftime shows in history. The Black Eyed Peas sell loads and loads of records but it was obvious in they're performance that they lack true talent. Its all the record industry's doing. Fergie has a horrible voice. I don't care what anyone says about her song with Slash on his new album. I heard it and threw up in my mouth.

10. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    Botching an anthem does no injury to the ideals of any nation. One would do better to attend to the ways in which policies fail and even betray the ideals they are supposed to embody and promote. And I'll happily argue that if an anthem is supposed to communicate national ideals, ours does a pretty poor job. Little of what I love about the US and its history is represented in this song. I respect it primarily because of its traditional role in creating cohesion. A botched rendition is nothing more than a single botched rendition. As a nation, regardless of one's internal political affiliations, I think its clear that we face much more substantive challenges to our ideals. But if you think it serves some purpose for you to fret over a pop star flubbing a line in the anthem, that's your prerogative.

11. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    I agree, get a classically trained or gospel singer to sing it. We keep getting these little "pop tarts" and they don't have the pipes to handle it. I just wish that they would only sing the notes that are in the song instead of inserting all that nonsense.

12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    That, incidentally, is the American way. So, in a weird, cynical way, they did respect this great nation. :)

13. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pjcigeOIk"]YouTube - Leslie Nielsen Sings The National Anthem[/ame]

14. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
  15. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    And sometimes, mocking an anthem can serve to highlight how a nation is failing its ideals:

I think this is brilliant. And it did serve as a trigger and a wake-up call.

But that's not what happened here. A pop star embarrassed herself.

16. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    +1

Tom - Stingker

17. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    Yeah, I also took it as affront to my ears rather than my patriotism. I feel that nonsense like flag burning amendments detract from real and important problems that we are not addressing as a nation. It's the thing that is important not the symbol that represents the thing. In our current atmosphere of sound bite politics and knee jerk patriotism the real work of government (i.e. governance) seems to have gone by the wayside. Then again it's not surprising given the sorry state of our educational system and the consolidation of our media under evil geniuses like Rupert Murdoch and Clear Channel communications. If we want a real and vibrant democracy we need to work for it (as opposed to fighting for it).

18. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    But let's face it, She did a better job than Roseanne.

19. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    +1 Yes, Quite. - I find it not at all surprising that Aguilara's performance is the state of the situation. Basically, that's my point.

Tom - Stingker

20. JBennett

JBennett Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    She screwed up but I don't see how this can be interpreted as a lack of patriotism. She sings everything like that (I'm not a fan) and it's obviously how she sings when she is putting all her emotions/efforts into a song. It's exactly why I don't like her style, but it's not because of a lack of sincerity. Just a matter of taste. Her vocal acrobatics seem to try to take on the same bombastic showiness that you see when the blue angels shoot out from behind fireworks doing barrel rolls. Same thing different medium. If you think it sounds awful (as I do, again) you should only be offended artistically, not patriotically.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice