Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Are the last Hot Rods the ultimate 6120s?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stefan, Dec 5, 2017.

1. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Such a beautiful instrument. I can only hope that Streetsounds still has that used one for sale when I get into position to buy it.

ZackyDog and Stefan like this.
  2. buchon2111

buchon2111 Electromatic

Mar 26, 2016
    US/Spain
    YES! I agree.

3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I think Stefan meant by "short circuit" a streamline, low capacitance wiring harness. :) I have one of the new ones and it is truly remarkable. Wish I could keep mine, but I have a new black SSU and just financed a gibson ES-295 at Christmas. #dummy I'll sell this for the right price.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Stefan likes this.
  4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    No no- you misunderstand. The Hot Rods are BRIGHTER than normal 6120, due to the LACK of the extra load from the extra pots.

Hot Rod: (1) 500K = 500K in all positions

SSLVO & SSU: 3 x 500K
    bridge sees 500K + 500K = 250K load
    neck sees 500K + 500K = 250K load
    middle sees THREE pots: 500K + 500K + 500K = 167K load (!!!)

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Did you say ES 295????

PLEASE.... give us a peek of that beautiful instrument. They make me weak at the knees and teary eyed!!!!

...and CONGRATS!

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes, love that blonde one. It has a nice yellow tint in the top picture.

maxresdefault.jpg
    gretsch-g6120sh-brian-setzer-hot-rod-blonde-5.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I don‘t hear a significant brighter tone from the Hot Rods.

8. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I compared your Hot Rod to my 6120LTV. It’s brighter.

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Totally, much brighter.. basic electronics here. remove the variable resistors (pots) caps and near 2 feet more of harness wiring... you get far less capacitance loaded aka high signal attenuation. I have a bypass switch in my SSU to get that brighter hotrod response. :)

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    My only comparison was a 6120SSU- the tonal difference was remarkable, the HR got more transparency and „plong“, not just more brightness. But both got the same pkups, so maybe you guys are right.

11. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Hot Rods are a BRIGHT guitar which is why I wish they had a single tone knob.

It also may be why my ears have always heard the Setzer Sig pickups as being a tad darker/woolier than the Classics(for instance)...? To compensate for some of that brightness?

12. Just-joshua-ya

Just-joshua-ya Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I think a stacked or push pull volume/tone pot would be a simple fix without changing the look! The Setzer pickups in my 6117 sound great, not really got to compare them against others though!

13. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I agree. Switch a 0.039 cap as a treble bleed to ground and you’d have a nice tone cut. Usually, I keep all of my guitars wide open with regard to tone controls, even on the mellow stuff.

14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I had the same problem on my Falcon, which only has a mud switch, which results in a too dark sound.

I was able to solve that problem with Gibson Vintage Reissue pure nickel strings, which only warm up the treble a bit, but without loosing overdrive bite, which is a typical downside of round core strings. But in opposition to most other nickel strings the Gibson have a hex core ... best of both worlds ;)

But Hotrods also lack individual volume control for the pickups, which is a no-go for me, especially for a Gretsch, that still has no pickup height adjustment screws :(

Conclusion: Gretsch should offer the beauty of hotrods also as standard 6120s.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Gretsch should offer the Hot Rod wiring on other models. Starting with the (Power-) Jet.

audept likes this.
  16. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This would be the most likely candidate in my opinion as well. The Powertrons would really benefit.

17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    As said above, I guess it‘s the whole combination on the Hot Rod that thrills.

Synchro likes this.
  18. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Yes .. until the new ones come out ... lol ...seriously there are so many ideas that could find there way on future Rods.. Setzer took the new incarnations to a great place.. I was hoping to see the full body width come back .. The pickups are good for these guitars and overall I'm pretty impressed with them. At first the translucent colors were eh .. but in person .. wow. .. really nice and the green is fantastic .. I also have to really say setzer s color scheme with primary on front and back is great! Overall a great guitar .. the playability is wonderful.. a great option for someone who wants to buy a 6120... love the flavors

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would love a hotrod but I would want it wired liek my Broadway Jade. Belive ti or not I actually use the individual volumes and master volume and the tone switch. I love all the things I can do with the choices. I do not have a hollow electric guitar and this is a good platform to mod from with the deep body, for me anyway. Personally I owuld liek to see a few variations of sunburst. One like the mando I posted in the other section maybe some others as well a nice emerald green burst, blue burst but keep them all transluscent so we can see the wood through it!

20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I love orange Gretsches but on the other hand the tuxedo black on my Hot Rod is hard to beat I guess:

5CCDEC46-E4B1-49E4-A157-614FFC25CF74.jpeg

slimwilson likes this.