Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Are the last Hot Rods the ultimate 6120s?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stefan, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    4257B57D-2505-40F7-BBA0-3479FCE92E93.jpeg Don’t get me wrong, any Gretsch sounds great :)

My Hot Rod is a wonderful sounding guitar (besides the cool look :cool: and the fantastic playability)...It has a special midrange kick that I really like, on the other hand there are deep twangin‘ wooden basses and sparkling heights without any icepicks. It‘s a kind of a really sophisticated, unique twang. Why‘s that so? Do any other Hot Rod player here experienced something similar? I guess
    • the ebony fretboard adds brilliance
    • the deeper 2.75“ body adds midrange and volume
    • there is something magical in the short circuit
    • the trestle bracing adds sweetness and this special kind of woodiness
    and all these parameters are the perfect combination for the Setzer sigs. I‘m glad I didn‘t trade this great guitar for the 6120 ssu and I guess now I know why those guitars are Brians favourite live guitars.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I think you are onto something. I don't mean to take away from any other Gretsch, 6120 or not, but the Hot Rod is pretty sweet.

I have the G-6119-1959 "Synchro Hot Rod" and it is used a lot. It's basically the same body, bracing and fretboard, but without the neck binding. It does have a zero fret, which is my preference, but not a big deal either way. It is surprisingly good acoustically, has a wonderful timbre amplified and is light as a feather.

The neck pickup was added and the Setzer Hot Rod wiring scheme was used. which required a different switch. I've done some pickup swapping along the way, currently with a Supertron/Duo-Tron combo. If anything ever happened to the Synchro Hot Rod, I'd probably shop for another G6119-1959 but be perfectly satisfied with a Setzer Hot Rod if I couldn't find one.

[​IMG]

Pete66, ronbo, Wulfgang and 3 others like this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    You have good ears and appreciation for all of the tone details (e.g. ebony, trestle bracing, etc.), Stefan. But don't forget about the pickups; they are a bit different than the TV Classics.

untitled.png

Waxhead and Stefan like this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I had a hotrod in my hands and I own an 6119 1959RI. The Neck of the hotrod felt a little bit smaller. Both are wonderful guitars.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    The 6119 has a mild V profile. It's OK, but nothing to write home about. I prefer the modern profile, but it's hardly a deal killer.

loudnlousy likes this.
  6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I played one about 15 years ago. Very nice and light. That lime-gold one was/is particularly gorgeous.

images.jpg

CatTones likes this.
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

That was my first Proline Gretsch.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Why did you sell it, if I may ask?

TSims1 likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Of course you can ask!

ZackyDog likes this.
  10. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Thanks but sometimes these questions can take on a more personal nature (i.e. I had to sell my G6120 to help pay for my child's operation), so I always ask first. ;)

11. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    First off I like the new Hot Rods, but I wonder if sales of the new models have met Gretsch's expectations. The formula (i.e. Setzer Sig pickups and deeper body) are probably an improvement but some of the color schemes were not met with enthusiasm. I have also recently noted some very good lower pricing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  12. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Nope. The ultimate 6120 is a single pickup 6119..........well for me anyway.
    I will get me one!
    I guess its the FIRST Hot rod;)

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I ended up cutting a second pickup into mine. Were I strictly playing lead, I could have used it as is, but in a trio I need the neck pickup and spend the majority of my time on both pickups.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

No, thankfully nothing of the kind. Just wondered what else was out there and disliked the lack of a tone knob. I think I'd like to own another now in the future, and either add a mudswitch or have Tavo build me that tone knob pedal. ;)

15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That is true. I‘m also not too crazy about the 2-tone color scheme except ‚highland green‘, but I really love the both solid colored models ‚blonde‘ and ‚tuxedo black‘. The last 2 are still expensive whereas the 2-tone models are on sale here in germany.

1936CD55-6D70-477A-85F3-41137BBA6263.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  16. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Can't be the ultimate 6120 because they don't have a tone switch. :D

But seriously, I dig the finishes. And the slightly deeper body. I don't think either is truly an "upgrade" over previous Hot Rods... however, imo the Setzer Signatures ARE an upgrade over Classics.

The other thing I thin that makes a regular 6120 (say, the SSLVO or RHH) the ultimate is the added capacitance loading of the extra pots. I know the point of the HR was to lose all that stuff, but the Filtetron is one of the brighest damn pickups there is, and imo BENEFIT from extra loading. I have a 250K volume pot in my HR for just this reason. And Brian Setzer prefers his run thru an old echo and 100ft of guitar cord...talk about loading....

My wife loves my red HR, but if I could, I'd rather have an SSLVO. Or a Western. Or a RHH.
    Because, ORANGE.

bkruk likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    If you want to reduce loading from the pot(s) I would suggest going to a higher value, not lower. The 250k, 500k or 1 meg refers to the amount of resistance between the signal and ground when the pot is turned all the way up. You won't hear a lot of difference, but a 250k pot puts more load than a 500. The Fender Jaguars, which are treble machines, use 1 meg pots for just this reason. One of the old tricks with a Jag was to replace the 1 meg pot with a 250k to get rid of the icepick highs.

18. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    I need to get one of these, in blonde. Christmas is coming up, y'all :cool:

Stefan likes this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Oh yes!
    CC1AB287-155F-454B-B06B-4DE0AEF470DC.jpeg

20. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The ultimate 6120 is the Eddy Cochran model. Nuff said. :)