Anyone using a Vox Royal Guardsman?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by hogrider16, Dec 26, 2018.

1. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I've got a chance to pick one of these up really inexpensively and was wondering if anyone else was using them. I've got too many amps now, but can always find room for one more. I did see from my search that Brian Setzer used one early on.

I'm using a Fender Deluxe reissue right now, if that matters. I tried it out and it sounds nice, but you never really know an amp until you've played out with it.

Thanks!

Chmason85 likes this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I owned one years ago. Great amps except there is a limiter built into the amp that clamps down and releases things like power chords. Really try it out before you buy it to make sure. Outside of that I absolutely loved mine

hogrider16 likes this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I've always read good things. You are correct that Setzer used one, I think for practice primarily; its listed in the gear section of my Setzer guitar book.

hogrider16 likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's a guy on the GDP (DCBirdman) who's hip to anything in the Vox/Thomas amp camp. Eons ago, I had a Super Beatle that filled up a station wagon and took a crew to move. Great for keyboards, not so much for guitar. If it's an all tube version, it'd be easily worth jumping on. As a transistor amp, it'd at least be worth a try. If I'm not totally mistaken, there were hybrids as well.

5. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll give it a good long try, especially power chords!

nickurso likes this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I've owned a few of the American made Vox transistor amps - including a Super Beatle which I recently sold. They are super noisy and as stated in an earlier post have a limiting circuit which clamps down and then lets go and creates a weird pumping sound. They aren't anything like the British made Vox amps.
    I never once used any of the Transistor Vox amps for recording because I didn't like the tone.
    From what I've read the British made transistor Vox amps sounded better than the ones made in the US. I also heard that The Beatles did some recordings using the British transistor Vox amps around the Revolver/ Sgt. Pepper era.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    All I can tell you is that when I was 14 a Vox Royal Guardsman was part of my dream rig along with a Rickenbacker 360-12. I still have a Ric, but never got the Vox. I think the idea of one is better then the actuality.

hogrider16 likes this.
  8. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I think you're right! I decided to pass. I have too many amps as it is.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The American Vox amps were produced by the Thomas organ company. Oddly enough, Thomas organs were also available from Heathkit---as were guitar amps which matched the Vox specs, tho with only a 2X12 cab. Thomas basically bought the only name, looks, and cachet from Vox.