Anyone try the new solid state twins or deluxe reverbs?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by freddyfingers, Sep 15, 2019.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    K, I just saw both and played through the Deluxe Reverb.

Ladies and gentlemen........the hype is legit. It’s everything you’ve heard. Unbelievable. I have ZERO need for one, otherwise it would have definitely come home with me.

Robbie, MrAstro, emitex and 12 others like this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for weighing in brother Sims. That's very helpful.

TSims1 likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    deleted

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well that's a typical amp builders argument.

It would be PCB. If it were PTP the spaceship would have been so big and heavy it would still be on earth.

I believe much of the hype and negative information about SS, digital and modeling is generated by the backyard, boutique builders who can cope with the 70 year old technology but could never afford the R&D to move forward.

It costs enormous amounts of $$$ to research and develop the technology which enables production of the digitally modelled amps of the future.
    Only big corporations can afford to do it.

Roland are there with their Blues Cube line and thankfully Fender look like they are serious about meeting the challenge.

Bring on the light weight versions of those dinosauric things that ran on tubes needing regular costly replacement, re-biasing and gentle handling.

Yes, and leave the back breaking technology to the boutique builder. My guess is their days are numbered.[/QUOTE]

yeah ok - on a spaceship your very life depends on it so yes we'e all gonna want hand wired. An amp just makes music :)

For all the people who think there's an improvement in SS /modelling technology at the el cheapo and mid end of the market I invite you to go A/B the Roland Blues Artist, Stage and Katana with a JC-120, JC-40, Cube 80 and Cube 60. Check the release date of each and their current cost.

Then .... I haven't been forced to replace any tubes on 5 different tube amps for the past 15 yrs. None of em have blown but I have replaced tube sets to get different tones and they do make significant changes. You can't do that on an SS amp.

A full set of 8 tubes from the US costs about US$80. Mesa Boogie amps don't require re-biasing. You just plug power tubes straight in. A Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 and an Egnater Rebel 20 weighs 16 pounds. Lot's of other tube amps around similar weight now also.

You're really not comparing apples with apples imo.
    You're comparing today's SS / modelling amps against 20-40 yr old tube amps.
    I don't want a 40 yr old tube amp anymore that I'd want a 40 yr old SS amp.
    I sold my Fender Twin 20 yrs ago.

But what most of the SS amp and modelling guys don't understand is that tube amp technology is innovating and improving much faster :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    blueruins and Tony65x55 like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I was kinda shocked to be perfectly honest. And I’ve heard that type of comment already/before, yet thought it was liberally optimistic. But the truth is......wow. Fender has cracked the code. On their OWN iconic amps!! And that’s beautiful.

ruger9 and Tony65x55 like this.
  6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'm still waiting for one to get into my local store. Itching to take it 0-60. Thanks for the review.

7. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Now the big question - does it sound like an original 1965 Deluxe Reverb amp or the reissue?....:D.

8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    The other thing I like about this amp is that it’s based on a clean amp that can be pushed into overdrive.
    These are the sounds that are least convincing to me on the other tech I’ve tried. And this is the place where most of us Gretschies live for various reasons.
    I would love to try one. I love the idea and the promise.
    I would only buy one for a specific application though...if I’m buying for me it will forever be tube amps. That sound is almost a religious experience for me.

9. Thanks for the report. Took a few days, but someone eventually came across one. But as a reminder, you are talking to people that do not purchase amps and pedals and guitars on a need basis. It’s purely gas. If someone put a gun to my head and told me to list all the gear I have as a need, I would say my acoustic. The rest is want.

Waxhead and TSims1 like this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Lol. Which is likely why I’ll wind up buying one needlessly!! Hahahaha

11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    ...and wind up selling it a while later....:D;).

ruger9, Waxhead and TSims1 like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Chuck Levins Washington Music Center has both of them in stock and ready to go.

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The new amps appear to be impressive; however, if I was in the market for one I would decide to wait and let the bugs get worked out of this new model. I bought one of Fenders new Mustang GT’s early in the release and the teething problems were very real in the early models including mine, I returned it.

Merc likes this.
  14. Thanks for the heads up. That’s a little over two hours from me. If I ditch some of the gear I have listed I would order one online. Make the ups driver happy to deliver a light box.

15. So, if you go to guitar centers website, on top it says call in and get up to 200 off. I called, and they gave me 200 off the twin. Their stock is low, they had to call a few stores to get one for me, but should be here next week. If not they are back ordered. At 999 i was hesitant. At 799 i took a shot, and if i dont like it, i drive to guitar center and get my money back. So when it arrives, i will give the official Fingers review.

16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    That's an astute observation about solid state amps, and probably why Quilter has caught on so quickly.....they're not trying to imitate anything, they just sound like they sound. Doesn't hurt that they're also powerful, small, light, and excellent pedal platforms.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I will say that sonically, these lack nothing. I’d jump right in without a care.

T Bone and radd like this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I use a $500 quilter through a $1000 cabinet, w an $800 mic for my acoustic rig. And yet this thread about the new ***** fender fake amp makes me mad. I need therapy.
    [​IMG]

Gretschtim1 and pmac11 like this.
  19. Dont drink the kool aid yet. I play my acoustic through a $2000 schertler acoustic amp, and i also have the fender 57 twin reissue. Why i think i need another pretend amp , i dont know. It’s what separates us from the monkeys.

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  20. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Dibbs on Tony's future used TM Deluxe! :D

See above. :cool:

LMAO. I looked into therapy. Found it is cheaper (and much more satisfying ;)) to just keep buying gear. :cool:

Waxhead, blueruins and Gretschtim1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice