Anyone own an Elliot Easton 1570 Synchromatic (Korean) and if so, some questions...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ericb, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

1. ericb

ericb Electromatic

Monday
    Vermont
    HI guys, I bought an Elliot Easton G1570 Synchromatic years ago with some electronic issues, but cosmetically it was almost perfect. The guitar plays well and stays in tune nicely. I'm just starting to work on it. . I have many questions and can't really find the answers on my net searches, but this appears to be a great place

1) When were these made.. .I can't find that! Any idea where the serial # is on these as I can't find that either. I don't think it has one to be honest

2) Anyone replace the stock pickups with Tv Jones Classics or Classic Pluses and really like the results? I thought I had some Powertrons for it, but just dug them out and they're soapbars so no luck , so I'll probably be buying some that 'll fit this. The stock pickups seem pretty ballsy to me and I might like something cleaner or janglier even though I play with a good deal of gain. Just curious if anyone preferred the stocks to TV Jones?

3) Anyone actually like the taper on the B500k pots? I'm not sure I do , unless it's just because there aren't treble-bleeds on them. . I'll experiment

4) I read about putting the treble bleed on the master volume but not on the Neck/Bridge Vol pots. . I just did that tonight. .Seems ok, but has anyone actually put it on the other Vol pots in addition or instead?

5) I'm finding the only position I like on the 3 position tone switch is in the middle. Do any of you actually like the other positions, or did you mod it with different caps?

I LOVE the looks of this guitar and I got it very cheap years back , so it's worth trying to make it sound better to me. I'm not any great luthier by any means, but can do the basic mods. . What have your experiences been? p.s. I live in VT, but was just in Nashville on vacation and saw lots of the higher-end Gretsches at the stores and man they look GREATTTTT!!!! THanks for any info, Eric

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome to Gretsch Talk! That's a very fine guitar from the Synchromatic range. Heavy though.

Here's the history of the guitar:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.34.59 PM.png

ericb likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The serial number would have been found on a sticker on the neck. It was almost always lost.

Swapping out the stock pickups for TVJ will usually be worth it. Depending on the model and mount, you might need to rout a little.

pmac11 and ericb like this.
  4. Zeek

Zeek Gretschie

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
  5. ericb

ericb Electromatic

Monday
    Vermont
    Hey thanks a lot! That tells me when it was made at least. It's a real shot in the dark to find someone on 1 of these forums who's actually experimented with my modding questions, but I figured it was worth asking. Ultimately I'll have to try it for myself. As for the heaviness of this guitar , I have many lighter guitars and a few heavier, but at least this one is balanced perfectly, so it's not too heavy for me. Also the neck is perfect! Just want to make it 'clean up ' better with the volume pots and get a bit less muddy pickup-wise. Thanks Eric

6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Elliot Easton is a member here on GT. If you're lucky maybe he'll weigh in with some suggested mods. Welcome to the forum!

ericb and GlenP like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Eric!
    welcome mat 81.jpg

ericb likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the madhouse!

The Synchro series was late '80s, right after the Wilbury guitars. They are entry level instruments and led to the resurgence of the Gretsch name. I had a G1519. Bolt on necks, drum wrap sparkle, and Gretschbuckers (better than the minihums on the Pro Jets IMHO). I did really like the feel and playability of the neck. The body is plywood, so, yeah, it's heavy. Putting expensive pickups in it would make it sound better, but you'll never get your investment back if you sell it. Adjust the pickups---you might like the tone out them more. They're some of the brightest humbuckers I've tried. They're definitely gateway guitars.

9. ericb

ericb Electromatic

Monday
    Vermont
    Hi there, I don't think you're referring to the 1570 though. I believe that is Mahogany and not plywood. I have probably 25 guitars from $300.00 guitars to some really rare stuff including my 1966 strat I got when I was 14. . . There's definitely no bolt-on neck (not that there's anything wrong with bolt-ons) on the 1570 and definitely not plywood. I'm not trying to fix it up to sell , just to use at my gigs. I have a couple of Time Guitars, a Robin Savoy, loads of Strats/Ibanezes/Tele's,/good Yamaha Pacificas, etc and the only guitar I have similar to the Gretsch is a Washburn with a Bigsby and sparkle finish. . I think this Gretsch is made very well, but just don't like the 'tone switch " , or the Neck Pickup. The Bridge PU isn't bad and neither pickup is bright at all. . I have to think the one(s) you owned was the 1619 and that's nothing like the one I'm asking about. :) THANKS! Eric

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:25 PM
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Then your guitar is built far better than the average 16XX and 26XX series instruments. Enjoy it! I'm not a fan of the tone/mud switch either. Luckily for you, there are many types of Gretsch pickups to choose from.

ericb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice