Anyone move their strap button to the heel of the neck?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by ABC123, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I did this on my Rickenbacker 330-12 string and it made the guitar feel more balanced to me.
    I say go for it.

Jena and ABC123 like this.
  2. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    They look cool, but only work well if your strap hole is big enough to totally get under the button.

3. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Yes they look cool , but functionally are a pain in the butt.

4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Being naive, I am glad they keep my strap attached as opposed to my Guild that let loose and busted part of the side out. I enlarged my strap holes and it works pretty well. What's the pain part?

5. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    Funny, Because I've removed a few buttons from the heel and put them on the upper bout. Maybe its my fat gut but heel-mounted straps make me feel like the guitar is rotated downward a bit and I can't see the fretboard as well.

Jena and Ricochet like this.
  6. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    Just don't like them... I have strap locks on all my guitars. it's safer and easy to attach. My personal preference.
    I will say, I like the strap button "placement" on the front of this guitar which makes it sit nicely, similar to my solid body guitars.

Jena likes this.
  7. jclute

jclute Electromatic

Mar 8, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    I followed @hcsterg as well and moved mine and left the old in place with good success. Upgraded to wide leather strap too. The 5622 are beasts!

It does seem to tilt away from me more, but overall its more comfortable.

I had no previous experience when I moved mine so was slightly terrified but afterwards it did feel more personal. I feel like we bonded over the whole drilling a hole in my new guitar experience! Enjoy the 5445!

jfassett and Jena like this.
  8. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm not sure I get it (can't visualize it), but not worth the extra dialogue. My 6128 has strap locks and I do like those.

9. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast

Ergonomics are very personal. For me, if a guitar doesn't feel right in the hands, it's useless to me as I will only be fighting for technique.

jclute likes this.
  10. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    I agree with you that this stuff is all personal. I guess after 40 years of playing, I'm set in my ways as you are. It's all good and interesting to share experiences with one another.

11. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I think that I have to do this for double cut jet... because they're neck diving axes.

englishman likes this.
  12. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    Well, I yanked the neck pickup out completely. I think when I cut the tortoise shell pickup ring for the bridge pickup and the truss cover I am going to make a cover for the neck pickup hole.

Still debating about the wiring. I may move the pickup selector to the lower bout and the volume to the upper. Or what to do about the other knobs. It's even lighter now, and the knobs look cool. I think they're nickel plated and will get a nice patina eventually. I don't find their placement very ergonomic, though.

Otherwise, I love the way it plays and sounds. The bridge Blacktop Filtertron sounds excellent clean and overdriven. The bigbsby is wonderful.

My only complaint about the playability is the heel is very thick. I may have to get used to the way it feels above the 12th fret, though I don't exactly rip it up in that territory, anyhow.

13. RichardH

RichardH Electromatic

Nov 1, 2018
    Perth, Australia
    Can I ask what year you 5622 was made? I previously discussed this and found that on newer 5622t guitars (with standard f holes and 2 pickups) the heal of the neck is cut to keave a narrow area in which to drill for the new strap attachment. Older cats eye 5622t guitars seem to have a larger area at the heal above the neck join to drill into.

Any more info would be great. Thanks.

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, RichardH. Here is the stap button displacement as I did it on my 1st serie G56221TLH (3-PUs, Cat's Eyes) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a 2nd serie, I can't tell...:oops:

Hope this helps... ;)

A+!

jfassett and Jena like this.
  15. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Try using some gorilla duct tape first with the strap on the heal, that will help make up your mind. I added the strap button on my fsr Broadway jade and the guitar is way more comfortable with a strap, no more neck dive. This ernie ball strap in the pic helps ease the worry of the strap coming off the heal location

Attached Files:

RichardH likes this.
  16. jclute

jclute Electromatic

Mar 8, 2016
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Mine is 2016. 3 pickup, cat eye holes.

RichardH likes this.
  17. RichardH

RichardH Electromatic

Nov 1, 2018
    Perth, Australia

I can confirm I have now added a strap lug to the rear or the neck on a 2nd series 5622T with great results. I was concerned there was insufficient room on the second series as the flat area above the joint is slimmer on a second series. No need to worry, there was enough room. The guitar remains at pretty much any angle I choose now. No constant neck drop and neck movement as you move your fretting hand around. Its probably more comfortable too, as for a given guitar height, the strap needs to be slightly longer so you feel as though you have more room.

Thanks for your suggestions and photos.

hcsterg and jfassett like this.
  18. G2655T out of the box had the strap button on the back of the body at heel of neck, so for lefty conversion it is one of the things I don't have to move to other side.
    If neck dive or if something is off balance I could eventually move it, when I switch to locking strap buttons later.

[​IMG]

19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, they are, jclute ! 4.2kg for mine, 1st serie model (avatar), but with the displaced strap button, this is not an issue anymore - at least for me - and I notice that I'm not alone now... ;)

That said, the remaining grief that I could blame is the pick interference with the center pickup, as the DC SHT needs to be quite close to the strings to reveal their tone...

I would also have designed a much more simpler circuit too !

But it's me, OK ? :D

20. RichardH

RichardH Electromatic

Nov 1, 2018
    Perth, Australia

For comparison, mine is 3.9kg ( 8lbs 9oz)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice