Anyone move their strap button to the heel of the neck?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by ABC123, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    Just curious. I unpacked my new 5445T and it's a nice guitar, but it doesn't quite sit like I'd like.

Anyone else feel that way? Did you find the heel a good spot to put the strap button?

I have played SG's a lot over the years, so that may be why I'm thinking of this.

Jena likes this.
  2. jklotz

jklotz Gretschie

Mar 24, 2013
    Atlanta
    I wouldn't do it to my guitars, but it's not all that difficult to do. You will have to drill a new hole and will still have a hole where the old one was. You would almost certainly devalue the guitar.

Jena likes this.
  3. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    Man, this guitar is a rocker! I actually bought some gretsch mini humbuckers to replace these stock ones because I tried a set a couple years back and they sounded so gnarly and good, but these stock blacktop filtertrons are no slouch themselves.

4. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    Yeah, I understand that, but to me guitars need to function first to be valuable to me. Plus, I think this guitar is a keeper.

But... I took the knob off the end of the mount and was curious if I could just unscrew the mount and move it to the heel? I hope that mount is easy to take out.

5. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    Well, I could back the mount for the strap button by using plyers and unscrewing it, but you need to be careful because you can really damage the threads doing that. I've got it on the heel now it's is pretty much perfect in my hands.

I really like this guitar. I've never been a Gretsch guy, but this guitar hits on most all of my favorite appointments and it plays and sounds excellent.

I may try the minihumbuckers in both positions or only put one in the neck position (the neck filtertron is a bit too bassy for my taste). Or I may just leave the neck position wide open.

Whatever I do, I'm gonna put a couple slices of tortloaf on this thing! Both pickup rings and the pickguard should do. A little tortoiseshell pickguard will class this thing up even more.

6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ooh. Not something I would do without someone who can do precise drilling and finish restoration at the previous site.

7. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    I'm comfortable doing it myself. I've done a lot of mods to guitars over the years. It came out nice. I used a black sharpie inside the original strap hole just to make it less obvious. It looks good, and it feels like it should to my hands now.

8. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    I'm actually considering moving the toggle to the bottom bout, swapping one or more pickups for the mini-humbuckers, cutting tortoise shell pickguard covers, and rearranging the wiring to maybe run a single volume and tone for both pickups.

Fundamentally, the guitar is awesome. These things will just make it more personal for me.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Would you keep and swap the master volume to the top bout then? That's one of the best things about Gretsch for me.

Mini Humbuckers? I'm not sure it's a Gretsch after that. I'm just sayin'...

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I believe @hcsterg did that with a 5622, a 9+ lb guitar, with sexy results.

ABC123 likes this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    So you really wanted a Gretsch-shaped Les Paul Deluxe?

Just kidding, hopefully you'll get to like it as it is before attacking it with the tool kit. The blacktops are far superior to the early projet mini hums.

As always, it's your guitar and you can do whatever you like with it.

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    BTW - Welcome to the forum friend

13. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    As a matter of fact, I used to own a Gibson Les Paul DC XPL years ago, but this Gretsch is lighter.

https://musicstorelive.com/media/ca...paul_dc_ferrari_red_electric_guitar_11453.jpg

14. ABC123

ABC123 Electromatic

Apr 2, 2017
    East Coast
    I really like the bridge filtertron. If that sound is Gretsch, then I can appreciate Gretsch. That being said, I'm not necessarily a Gretsch purist so if I can get the guitar to make me happy on a number of desirable points, that's good enough.

Henry likes this.
  15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Of course, not a care from me what it ends up as. I love mini humbuckers - when they're on a Firebird.

16. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I like the Gibson version, the Gretsch minihums not so much.

Lizardkinged and stevo like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Exact. And yes : it's a real improvement in the weight balance of the guitar...

[​IMG]

A+!

ABC123 likes this.
  18. Joey L

Joey L Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    First thing I did was get rid of the strap buttons and replace with strap locks. Those buttons are A Pain in The a--.

19. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Did you leave the old button there? Seems like a decent way to deal with the aesthetics.

toddfan likes this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes indeed. But since this picture has been taken, the upper horn strap button - which is now unused and purely "decorative" - has been returned to the Gretsch button it was originally. The two other strap buttons are from the classic "large mushroom" type.

A+!

stevo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice