Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Anyone know what year or model Synchromatic this is

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Focker, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Focker

Focker Electromatic

Feb 13, 2018
    Glen Riddle, PA
    Hello, total newb to this page, so forgive me if I’m not up to date on all the info.

This guitar belonged to my great great uncle Ercole. He purchased it sometime after coming here from “The Old Country”.

I was given this after he died, and took it to my local guitar shop. They refused to touch it, and sent it out to an actual luthier to be rebound.

I have limited info on it, other than it’s obviously a vintage Synchromatic.

There are some numbers stamped on the inside where it says Gretsch Super Structure, and a what appears to be a handwritten serial number in pencil of 6528 (or maybe 652-8?)

Trying to attach some photos. Any help would be appreciated. It plays nice and has a cool sound, I rarely bust it out, but docon occasion. Usually when someone is over who is more talented than me (not too hard) and that I trust (considerably harder.)

Attached Files:

Sonny Strimple and tartanphantom like this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very nice, pre war. Somebody's gonna be along to tell you exactly. I have a similar vintage New Yorker that also needs binding, mine has been narrowed down to mid war by Ed Ball, he will probably be the one to help you.

Focker likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Just lovely. Thanks for the pics.

Focker likes this.
  4. Lrg280

Lrg280 Gretschie

Nov 4, 2017
    Greenport, New York
    Really cool guitar, and nice to have it handed down to you from your Uncle. I’m sure one of the resident experts will be able to give you lots of info on this particular model.

Focker likes this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Focker!
    welcome mat 36.jpg

Focker likes this.
  6. Focker

Focker Electromatic

Feb 13, 2018
    Glen Riddle, PA
    It really is a neat piece. My cousin has a ukulele he had. She’s gotta go through me before she can ever get rid of it. I just wish I had room for his old player piano. Hell, coulda just bought the house. Would have been easier. Lol

Lrg280 likes this.
  7. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    You've got a Gretsch Synchromatic model 100 circa 1945 based on that serial number. It appears to be all original, although the sunburst finish is a little unusual the way it's so dark in the f-hole area. Cool family piece... enjoy it!

Focker likes this.
  8. Focker

Focker Electromatic

Feb 13, 2018
    Glen Riddle, PA
    Thanks Wayne
    The whole serial number thing was confusing because the way I was reading things that number would have indicated early 50’s which didn’t seem right.

9. Focker

Focker Electromatic

Feb 13, 2018
    Glen Riddle, PA
    Where the strings mount at the bottom isnfairly traight across instead of on a slant, which I haven’t been able to findmjh of.

10. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That's exactly what i thought, my serial is close to yours.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Nice guitar.

Welcome to G-T!

Focker likes this.