Anybody watched the dirt?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by nickurso, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    :p

thunder58 and nickurso like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My daughter says I’m the most forgiving movie critic ever. It’s probably true. I like something about almost every movie. If I really don’t like a movie it’s probably really bad.
    Still I’m a fan of the Crue, love the music and Nikki Sixx and Mick Mars are my favorites.

3. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Life is too short not live it. I know that well. I’ll never stop until the pry the guitar out of my cold dead arthritis crippled hands

4. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    That make two of us. :cool:

nickurso likes this.
  5. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Yes I did! It was very entertaining but, as I was watching it, I did wonder how anyone, band and hangers-on alike, would find living like that at all enjoyable. Maybe I’ve just always been old and boring but being off your face for decades and hooking up with randoms dozens of times a day, for most of your life, sounds pretty miserable. And I do agree with the “frat boy” description. All laughing at their own willies, farts and bodily functions and thinking it was all hilarious. They weren’t the brightest bulbs in the box.... too much money and not a single brain cell between them. Maybe that’s it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    This sounds like the description of a lot of my tour sound career. The '80s in particular.

nickurso and Armygirl like this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    My son told me that I can watch this film on his Netflix abo.
    I did so.
    Even more boring than the Bohemian Rhapsody film. I expected something dramatical and shocking like the original story told in the book.
    Both had a Wayne`s World vibe with semi-funny people wearing wigs.....superficial teenager cinema decorated with some boobs.
    The only good thing on this film was that I was not traumatised by a leadsinger with a crazy set of teeth.
    Sorry for the rant. It is just my humble opinion.

8. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    It was all cheesy cornball Heavy Metal cliches', and I loved it. Kind of how I like watching WWE womens Wrastlin" once in a great while.

"Dont go away Mad", ,,its only a silly little movie

9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Sounds like the future is in good hands...love this review:)

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    All I can say is drugs are bad and when you mix it with teen angst you get crazy. And yes too much money for their own good

blueruins and Trash Kidd like this.
  11. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I read the book and I think it was enough for me. I couldn't say I'm a fan (I loved their first two records but I was more an Hanoi Rocks/Faster Pussycat/G'n'R guy back then. Apart from being a regular rockabilly guy, of course...;)), but my wife she was so I bought her The Dirt in London as a present and read it when she finished it. To say I've not been impressed it's the least, so I don't think the movie could have done any better to my understanding of their music.
    Funny enough, I met Tommy Lee and Pamela in a 7 Eleven on La Cienega Blvd. in '94, in the middle of the night. I was standing in front of the hod dog machine and Tommy asked me if I was in line to get one and I said no. I've never been the kind of guy who just asks for signings (at the times there was no way to do a pic, but even if it would be possible I would never asked) so I never told him "hey, I know you and you're great" so I just went out, but they didn't look a bit of the crazyheads they are told in The Dirt, just two regular dudes + fianceè (although a bit smart dressed than regular people :)) looking for an hotdog. While me and my friend (who just didn't know who Motley Crue were) were standing in the parking lot (we stayed in a dirty motel nearby) a black Ferrari arrived and there was Nikki Sixx with a girl inside. Nikki came out of the car and started talking with Tommy. Again, they never really acted like crazy junkies like they were described being all the time in the book.
    Maybe I've just been lucky.
    Oh, I went on their last tour italian gig in Milan, two years ago and had a lot of fun (another present for my wife...).

turbo2000, nickurso and larryb like this.
  12. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Ha! There's only one 7-Eleven on La Cienega that I know of, and I lived about a 1/2 block away from it! Those kind of random celebrity run-ins happen all the time in LA. That was one of the fun things about living there. Great story - thanks.

nickurso, stiv and blueruins like this.
  13. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I gave it a watch and what I took away is if this is at all accurate it's a wonder any of them survived. I don't know how you can live like that for more than a week never mind month after month, year after year, and function at all. Crazy lifestyle that isn't for me. Maybe when I was younger, but even then, I don't know how you could keep going or why you'd want to.

nickurso, blueruins and Armygirl like this.
  14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    LOL...crazy hard to find a convenience store in parts of L.A. isn't it:D

nickurso likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yes, I couldn’t really give you directions but it was the only food shop around in the area (food for broke US travelers like we were at the time.. and I had already spent all my money on Sunset Strip Tattoos... :D). The funny thing it’s been that I didn’t really recognize Pamela Anderson as well, I just gave a look and thought she was just the average cute blonde that you expected to see hanging around with Tommy Lee... then when they were all left I though at it and realized “ darn, that was Pamela Anderson!!!” (At the time she was much, much more famous in Italy because of Baywatch... ;)

nickurso and blueruins like this.
  16. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Going back to the movie Dirt, I saw it last night... 8-/

It's even worth than the badest critics. Completely NO interest for general people. In case you're a #fanboy You could spend 1hour 1/2 with a pack of six and this movie. Looks like american pie X + rock academy. This story sounds so fake that we forgot it was their real lifes.

Btw I'm not a hair metal bands' boyz...

nickurso likes this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

My wife an I started it on Saturday. Looking for something fun and fluffy. We got about five minutes in before realizing it wasn't really fitting the mood. I might try it again, but this thread isn't making me eager to get back to it.

nickurso likes this.
  18. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I enjoyed it as an amusing movie, nobody is winning any Oscars lol.

I never met Tommy Lee in real life and thought the actor's portrayal of him seemed way too over the top "duuuuuuuuuuude"-like.

Then I remembered when I saw them in West Palm Beach. A guy with a minicam linked to the big screen on the stage came near Tommy and Tommy grabbed it. He promptly stuck the camera down his pants, turned to look at the screen, and said "I always wanted to see my d**k 30 feet wide." Maybe the actor was spot on, lol.

What can I say, crude humor makes me laugh. And, truth be told, I've never seen an image of my <thing> 30 feet wide. I'd be tempted lol

nickurso likes this.
  19. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I felt that way about him for a very long time. I was going to go to that Hanoi Rocks show st the Palace in LA that got cancelled. I was 12 and working for one of the opening bands. Worse still, when he was supposed to be in jail for this, he was backstage at a show that I worked at the Santa Monica Civic. The vibe was eerie. Realistically though, if you think about it, what happened was that he was an idiot kid in a car with a friend and just f*cked up. Razzle was in similar condition. Everything about the way that it was handled afterward was pretty bad though. You can see the unhappiness written all over the guy. The weight of that accident and what happened with his daughter is obvious in any photo or video of him.
    On the flipside, there is an awesome Hanoi Rocks oral history that came out a few years ago. I still maintain that they should have been the biggest band in the world.
    No idea why there hasn’t been a solid documentary done on them.

turbo2000 and Trash Kidd like this.
  20. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Yeah, not necessarily a fan of Motley Crue or eighties hair metal, but to each their own. I can't see myself watching the movie or reading the book. The debauchery and mayhem is just not to my liking these days (not that it ever was much anyway).

I had someone tell me once that if you want to read a truly great fiction story just read someones autobiography. That seems to hold true in a lot of instances.

Armygirl and blueruins like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice