Anybody gone wireless?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by andreww1962, Mar 18, 2020.

1. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Specifically talking about these cheap Amazon wireless sets. Anybody used these for any length of time? I'm all for chargeable products, but these seem like they are toast once the battery is worn out. I'd love to hear from anybody that uses these things!

61vRSTjDyAL._AC_SY135_.jpg

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I would invest in a better set especially if it goes " toast "

BFTmarshall likes this.
  3. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I don't know anything about the Amazon rig but a wireless system worth owning is going to cost some cash. Worth every penny imo, they're great fun to use when you got a reliable one.

I've been using a Shure dual antenna thing for years, never had it fail. The only quirk about it is if you crank up the gain on the transmitter, it sort of starts acting like a pre-amp and it actually boosts your signal. You gotta find that sweet spot at any given distance if you want a "tone-neutral" transmission.

Of course, sometimes a little boost is a good thing ... ;)

---

4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Tele295, thunder58, ErickT94 and 2 others like this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Pretty cool Trash, I like those. Maybe it's time to update my tech.

But I'm not sure - what's the bigger hassle: recharging it every 5 hours or dropping a 9v into it once a month? What's the actual advantage to the rechargeables?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  6. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Thanks for the insight.

I don't gig anymore, so this is just for home playing. Sometimes i'm just way too lazy to start plugging in, so I just play acoustically. These things look like it would make things much cleaner. I wonder if you could use one between the guitar and pedalboard, and a second set between the pedalboard and amp?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  7. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Exactly, you know its going to be trash in about a year hen the battery will only hold a 20 minute charge.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    If I did not used any pedals at, then yes : I would go wireless :cool:. Otherwise, I judge that it is not so worth o_O...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

9. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    I've been using the Line 6 G90 system for a couple of years now and it's great having the freedom to move around - less cables on stage is always a good thing! It's expensive, but well worth it!

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    As far as on stage guitar goes I've been wireless since 1979. These days I use a Line 6 system which sounds pretty close to a cord. Now if only the body pack would stop falling apart.
    If I was still playing the larger gigs I'd be looking for something built better.

11. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I have the Donner DWS-2 and the MW-1. Love them, but since they are small, they are easy to break. I set my guitar down on a stand once, and the transmitter sat between the guitar and stand putting pressure on the power switch. That caused it to break off the circuit board. However, donner replaced it immediately.
    https://www.donnerdeal.com/collections/guitar-wireless-system-201908

Only thing I wish they could do is connect between pedalboard and amp.... but they can't.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  12. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I actually got a wireless system on Amazon a year ago. They are the inexpensive brand. I use them weekly playing live music. I get no interference and I get a 2 hour charge.
    I had initially thought to purchase a higher end set but these have been good to me. Screenshot_20200318-084212_Amazon Shopping.jpg

thunder58 likes this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Yes I use these all the time now for home practice, studio & gigging.
    To answer your question ... Yes! You can buy a single unit also so you can go completely wireless.. Pedalboard to amp etc. Just set them all to the same channel. Very easy to use..

Charlie westside likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I've dealt with wireless units for years, mostly for mikes. A 9V battery will definitely not last for months. We had Sennheiser belt packs that wouldn't last two hours with 3 AAAs. We'd buy cases of batteries weekly during heavy use periods. A 9V battery is just a stack of 6 tiny batteries. They're more about the voltage than the amperage. AAs are your best bet. Rechargeables don't last forever, and they build up a memory, so, you need to totally discharge them before recharging. Make sure rechargeable batteries can be easily replaced, if/when needed. The main advantage to rechargeables is you'll save on the outrageous cost of batteries in the long run. In the long run, you'll get what you pay for. Make sure you're getting UHFA units, not VHF. There are a lot of counterfeit wireless units on the market. If the price seems too good to be true, it likely is. Caveat Emptor. I'd argue that all of the extra radio circuitry affects the sound quality versus a hardwired application.

Tadhg likes this.
  15. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I myself don’t need a 5 hour hour charge.
    I play in an originals band. If we headline it’s a 90 min set maximum. If we’re the support act our set is between 30 & 45 mins.
    We do 4 hour rehearsal sessions in the studio..
    So for me they’re perfect.

BFTmarshall and GlenP like this.
  16. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have been using these at church for a while, typically for two hours or so, warm up time and service time. The holiday service was more like four hours. My DI input is right at my feet, so I have not tested the range on a big stage.

A tip, if you need more run time, the base RX unit can be plugged in to its charger cable and still operate without running down the battery and the guitar TX unit can be plugged into one of those USB rechargeable battery packs. This gives you lots more run time. Just make a pouch on your strap to put the external battery in. I guess you could use a battery pack on the RX also, but I usually have access to a power strip at my DI.

the USB battery packs are like for a phone when that battery gets low. I did not buy one they were like given away free SWAG at some meeting, they are pretty compact like wallet size or smaller than a phone.

get them in bulk with your band name on them to give out to your fans!

http://demandpromo.com/products/powerbanks.html

I have not really noticed any latency with a single TX/RX , but am wondering if that might be an issue with running two units in series on different channels to daisy chain to pedal board and then to amp? But this does give me an idea for getting an extra RX to run on the same channel for stereo operation from a single TX to two RX units in parallel.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  17. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    No it won't, but I said "once a month", so think in terms of 3 or 4 weeks. They do last that long, at least in my experience. I dunno, I'm getting so tired of having to recharge this, that or some other piece of electronic junk everyday - the phone, the i-pods, the vape sticks, whatever... I'm running out of wall plugs! LoL!

18. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Sure, just set them to different channels.

I got the Xvive about a year ago, and have used it a dozen times at rehearsal, and at about 6 gigs (the 9pm-1am kind). Never an issue. Liked it so much, I bought the one for XLR. Have only used it a couple of times so far. My bass player liked the idea so much, he bought the guitar one too, and used it at the last gig. I had to be sure all 3 were on different channels (6 to choose from).

At the end of a gig, it's part of my routine now to recharge them the next day.

Trash Kidd and wabash slim like this.
  19. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    @andreww1962 you mentioned acoustic. Beware if using Xvive with an active pickup (powered by battery), it will have a high pitched whine. No good.

20. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Got ya, although I was referring to my Gretsch, I do play my acoustic through an amp as well. Good to know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice