Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Any Suggestions for Vox AC15 Replacement Valves?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Flynnski, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    Got a Vox AC15CC1 last week. The stock valves suck. :(

Any suggestions re what brand(s) of replacement valves? :confused:

PS The biggest difference I find with this amp is that it amplifies (no pun intended!) my mistakes! :eek:
    So maybe (hopefully) it'll force me to be a better technical player! :cool:
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. MGllm

MGllm Synchromatic

3. carlbob

carlbob Gretschie

Dec 2, 2008
    Bingo, NY
    NOS is the way to go. I replaced the chinese EL84's in my AC30 with NOS GE's bought from this guy, they're less expensive than Mullards but provide a similar sound. I replaced the chinese 12ax7 with NOS Telefunkens and the Russian rectifior tube with a NOS Mullard. It was an expensive swap-out but greatly improved the sound.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    If the layout of the AC15 is the same as the AC30 then be advised that changing the valves is going to be a bit more difficult than changing tubes in a Fender Twin. I believe the speaker lead is a soldered connection which will have to be de-soldered to gain access to where the valves live. If you are not going to do the job yourself (changing pre-amp and the main valves and re-biasing) you may want a professional do it. If he can let you watch as he does it than you can gain some knowledge..
  6. mugsy

mugsy Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2008
    I have JJ/Tesla EL84s in my Voxes. I also use them in my amps. There's an EL84 comparison on one of my computers. I'll see if I can round it up.

The AC15 is cathode biased, so you would not have to bias new tubes.
  7. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    Thanks...great info... :)

Keep 'em coming!

8. Flynnski

Flynnski Country Gent

Apr 14, 2009
    Cheltenham UK
    Sure hope not...I'm useless... :eek: