Any "Shade Tree Mechanics"?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by LA Miles, Jan 11, 2019.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The fuzzy slip slips reman unstained.

LA Miles likes this.
  2. P2gee

P2gee Electromatic

Dec 19, 2018
    Texas
    My business is auto repair, for over 30 years. Yes I change my own oil but I hate it because when Im done there is nobody to pay me. Changing oil on modern vehicles is a slippery slope that is as easy to get wrong as it is to get right. Most all of todays vehicles are very very specific about the fluids you pour in them for maintenance including oil. And Im not talking about viscosity rate but rather API,ILSAC, ACEA or OEM ratings. And don't even get me started about the use of the term "synthetic" in reference to oil. Due to several lawsuits, a petroleum oil can be labeled synthetic with as little as 10% synthetic base content. As a general rule, if your synthetic oil change doesn't cost at least $100, then its very likely the oil used wasn't very synthetic.

3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Stupid spell-correct!!

LA Miles likes this.
  4. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I have a 94 Harley and a 57 Chevy Pickup which I do all of the work on. No major rebuilds. My 2011 Pickup has an extended warranty so I take it to the dealer for everything! Just so I'm covered.

5. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I swapped a motor in an El Camino in the front yard in the middle of winter in Alaska (35 years ago). Does that count?

6. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I have two classic cars that I still work on. But now I have graduated to a nice warm garage.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  7. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    That is HERO STATUS!!

8. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I am a pro.... at finding good mechanics

Les Pedals likes this.
  9. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    Im a Professional Mechanic/ Welder/Fabricator and my Title is Heavy Duty Repairman. Meaning I work on Construction equipment. Everything from a 657 CAT scraper to a 4 1/2 Dewalt grinder.If its broke I fix it no matter what it is. Electrical,Hydraulics Drivelines etc.

Modern cars are not too complicated once you've worked on them for awhile. We had a fleet of gasoline vehicles and Diesel Trucks. Hook up the Scanner, get the codes ,call the Parts shop and replace,its fairly straight forward.

These damn new vehicles have sensors for the sensors.

10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    9C66E909-07C1-43D9-B11F-BDB58A338470.jpeg Yep. Lots of tinkering and work. Since I bought this car in 1961, there is no part on it that I have not touched. Some parts many, many times.

11. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    I had a 1932 Model A for a couple of years. It took me a few weeks to get it built to run,then another 7 hours or so to actually get it started. I think I got Gray hair from that whole ordeal,but it RAN.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I do my own oil, tire rotations, and brakes. If I get engine lights I’ll go to a local auto store to get the codes, research and fix it if it’s minor.

If no one picked up on my user name Merc matching my photo... I currently have a 70 Mercury Cougar XR7 mildly done up that I’ll wrench on. The first cat which I no longer have was a 68 Cougar XR7 GT.

Edited: A little dirty in this photo. In the sun she’s Brilliant Black Pearl. Here’s the 70. 3E12B647-91D4-4C24-B7BC-2BBB3A6D545C.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Always loved XR7's

Merc likes this.
  14. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I used to do nearly all the necessary maintenance on my cars - but then they were always in need of working on! - but not anymore with the advent of deep integration of electronics into most areas of car systems.
    I certainly would not be doing it at 27°F.
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't even be doing it at 27°C - I'd be off down to the beach bar for a couple of mojitos before stretching myself out in the shade with my guitar.

LA Miles and panhead6zero like this.
  15. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I never completed my Auto Mechanic Apprenticeship but got close. Used to work on my cars all the time. I find it’s not worth the effort or money you think you save.

16. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Only if I can handle it myself . Light bulbs , battery small stuff like that . But I recently did change the blower motor switch for the heat / defroster / ac . Had to take half the passenger side apart / glove box area . Felt pretty good

panhead6zero likes this.
  17. panhead6zero

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    DSC_0717.JPG
    I removed the electric fan and installed a fan on the water pump pulley. I needed a fan shroud, so I took an old Castrol 55 gallon drum and cut it out. After removing the riveted electric fan I used screws to attach the shroud. I added a couple 45 Long Colt bullet holes just for fun...

18. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Lots of interesting responses!

19. threevok

threevok Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    Denver, CO
    I can't remember ever paying for an oil change or brake job in almost 40 years of driving. I do all the little stuff that should take less than 2 hours but most repairs go to the shop. When the economy is good, like now, I make more money than the garage, so sticking with my regular gig is a no-brainer. These days I can't even look at a wrench without losing a piece of skin on my wimpy computer hands.

20. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    On the everyday driver no, but it would be cool to have an old hot rod or motorcycle to wrench on