Any "Shade Tree Mechanics"?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by LA Miles, Jan 11, 2019.

1. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    As I warm up with a hot coffee after changing the oil in my truck in 27 F degree weather I was wondering if anybody else here still works on there vehicles?

I used to do all the basic maint. years ago but you pretty much need 2 men and a small boy just to change a belt today. My hybrid car is off limits so I'm relegated to oil changes on my truck. Costs me half of what they charge for a synthetic change and I'll screw it up on my own thank you very much. Plus I don't feel like wasting a couple hours to and from a shop and reading a 3 year old Motor Trend.

Saving my way to another Proline ... one quart at a time o_O

2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Yes Sir, as much as I'm able. Mostly oil changes and wheel rotations any more though.

Lionpotato and LA Miles like this.
  3. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Not any more. They've made things last longer, but like you said, extra help, plus 2 advanced degrees in Engineering and Computer Science are necessary. I stopped doing oil changes when it became environmentally incorrect to just dump it some where. (I always knew that but...). Plus it's just too inexpensive and fast too have it done. I need a timing belt done on my PT Cruiser. 10 hours of shop time for a skilled Mopar mechanic, so am I going to attempt that? NO WAY. I used to replace timing chains back when they were used all time. I rarely do anything except check levels, change batteries etc. type things anymore.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Used to, when I was massively poor. No choice in the matter. Waiting for a day above freezing was a luxury. My Dad was a machinist/mechanic---B-17 crew chief, worked on some of Andy Granatelli's cars later. I grew up with wrenches and such. "Hold the light steady!" Working on a car in the snow, sub freezing was a major PITA.

Now, my wife works at a Chevy dealership. Anything major goes there. I still do some basic maintenance, but as an old guy with a bad back, it's simpler to go to a shop to get oil changes and the like done.

Luckily, my old '99 Jeep doesn't break too often. Thankfully, it has that bulletproof AMC I-6 engine.

19MGB76 likes this.
  5. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Yep. I recycle the used oil or give it to a farmer who has a waste-oil furnace in his shop. I but syn. oil when it's on sale and have it on hand - works for me.

6. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I still change the oil and filter sometimes... summer months mostly! They dont really do any "lube job" anyway now days and the price seems high. So yeah, save a few bucks. What I do now is easier, I have one of those vacuum pump things to suck the oil out through the dipstik tube. Then I change the filter and good to go!
    https://www.ebay.com/i/253840641494?chn=ps

7. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Nah. That’s what money is for. Let other people do it so I can play MORE GUITAR!! ;)

8. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    My vehicles are company owned so the company pays for all maintenance.
    But, since I own the company, I pay for it in the end.
    Plus, it's all pretty much too complicated or too much bother for me to do anyway, even if I knew what I was doing..

Les Pedals and Lionpotato like this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No, but I bought my first car at age 29. I do some.basic stuff like change the battery and I flare ties but I don't do oil or anything else.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Me too. Just a bit more stuff than you, Henry, but no so much... Today's car are not really designed to be serviced by their proprietary, so it can be quickly a pain or a source of mistakes if you are not adequately tooled and accustomed.

I prefer servicing tube amplifiers... I remember many year ago trading a touchy amp repair for a not-less-touchy injection circuit cleaning with a pal who know cars as I know amps :rolleyes: : that was worth for both of us ! :D

A+!

Henry and LA Miles like this.
  11. BuddieGreen

BuddieGreen Gretschie

Sep 3, 2018
    usa
    i ran a small used car lot at one time. started out doing most of the repair work myself untill i got to the point i was selling 10-30 cars a month and couldnt keep up with it myself. started taking cars to a local mech who just opened shop, now 20 yrs later, he still treats me fair and im too lazy to do my own so it works out

MotorCentaur likes this.
  12. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I enjoy figgering stuff out. But my figgering out car's from 1972, when you could figger what a part does by looking at it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    I used to do a lot more back when I had less money and more time. I often miss it.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Actually I enjoyed working on my old cars and bikes very much.
    But the technology advanced so fast that nowadays I don`t dare to do anything myself.
    It seems that you need a laptop for even the smallest repair.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, i do everything on my vehicles short of complete engine rebuilds and tire changes.

MotorCentaur and panhead6zero like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Never go to a mechanic if I can help it. Just the transmission fuild change on my 07 Mustang - didn't expect it to gush out sideways for 4 feet. Got a transmission fluid bath with that one! But I know it's re-filled to the proper level. Unlike the guys who did it to this car before.

Oh, and I had to replace washer fluid line on our outback - all under the hood and some in the wheel well for the line heading to the back of the car. Interesting job, spent $40 in plastic body rivets.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  17. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    HA - I did the tranny fluid once - that one I'll pass on. But that's the rub, I've seen shops put in too much oil, wrong weight, mount directional tires back-a$$-wards - and these are the simple jobs.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  18. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Plus, why ruin yer fuzzy slip-slips ;)

DaddyDog and TSims1 like this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Great point. You are a man of HUMBLING intellect my friend.

20. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Did u mean BUMBLING :confused:

larryb likes this.