Any NBA/NFL game goers?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stiv, Oct 4, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Hello,
    I’ll be in Houston from Oct 27 to Oct.30 for vacation (I mean, my wife will be there for work, I’ll just follow her and enjoy the ride ;)). My hotel is 2 min walk from the Toyota Center where Rockets will play on the 27 and the 29, but also Texans will have an home game vs. Raiders on the 27. I was checking out tickets online, there still plenty of it but I suspect they’re a lot more expensive than if you buy them on site.
    Any of you guys around that go to games buy your tickets straight to the stadium/palace? Do you think is a good idea? I know fer sure that NBA regular season is not that busy at all, but how about football? Last time I went to a football game was 1993 in Miami, it would be cool to see live action again...
    Cheers.

2. afire

afire Country Gent

I go to Packers games and those games are always sold out, so buying from the venue is not an option. I've had to buy from scalpers a couple of times and actually gotten tickets at reasonable prices, though I'm not sure any better than what I'd have gotten them for in advance. Plus there's the risk of bogus tickets. I don't know if Texans games routinely sell out, so maybe you can get a good price on empty seats on game day. Personally, I'd just buy in advance to spare myself the hassle and uncertainty unless the prices you're seeing are way out of line with face value.

stiv likes this.
  3. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks a lot.
    When I was living in Boston there was no way to sneak into a Patriots game as it was all sold out or in the hands of season ticket holders, and I’ve heard similar stories from Steelers and Eagles fans. Also going from South Boston to New England was a bit of a drive.
    I guess I’ll wait a bit. It’s just that I don’t want to overpay in advance for a ticket that I could buy for much less on gameday, considering I wouldn’t need pricey seats. I’d just love to be there.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The last time I accidentally watched an NFL game was the Bears in the Fog Bowl in '86.
    NFL tickets cut into the guitar funds too much.
    My taxes pay for the stadium that I can't afford to go to. That's more than enough.
    Millionaire players and billionaire owners don't need my hard earned money.

thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I would look at StubHub for tickets. They have a guarantee you'll get your tickets. If you wait until the day of the game you can get better prices.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Enjoy your vacation ...... i mean enjoy spending time with your wife @stiv

stiv likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don't waste my money on football or basketball. Once in awhile, my wife and I will hit a local hockey game. I honestly don't think pro sports is worth the money so I don't support it. Except for some hockey.

8. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    In 1981 I went to the first Patriot's Monday Night Football game thanks to a friend's fathers season tickets.
    The price printed on the ticket was $12.50..... can't park for that now!
    p.s. the crowd was so drunk and rowdy that there wasn't another Monday Night Football game there until 1995

stiv likes this.
  9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’ve been a Rocker since I was 17, chasing and be chased by drunk Mods and Skinheads in the holiday season festivals in Italy. I played for many years in the UK/Germany/Netherlands/France punk rock circuit (and still do, from time to time).
    I know one thing or two about drunk crowd to be scared at a football game.;)

10. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I do have to say that it was a lot more scary during the time I spent in the U.K., the real football fanatics would beat someone up for wearing the wrong plaid scarf! They'd take a train to Spain or France and basically demolish it.

11. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Well, that’s holiganism and has nothing to do with sport. They’ll beat the s**t out of you for no particular reason, the firms are only an excuse. Sadly it’s still well established in the whole Northern Europe, and above all the eastern block. I’m not a great fan of soccer anyway, but I quit going at games since I was 12 (apart for some non professional leagues). American sports are waay more easy. Although when I lived in Boston I often saw Red Sox fans hunting for Yankees fans around the Fenway Park Area looking for a brawl ;)

12. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I live 30 minutes south of Boston. The saying in Southie about out-of-towners that go to "their" bars is that they came to town for "a beer and a beating". Seems like there are so many native New Yorkers living in Boston now that things may be better. No need to poke the bees nest though!

stiv likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Violence from opposing fans at games is far from rare. It happens in high school games, even in Little League. Kids have been killed for wearing the wrong jacket. Go figure.

It's just a game.

stiv likes this.
  14. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I think I know what you’re talking about. I lived for more than a year in Dorchester, so I think I can call myself an adopted Southie...:)
    I didn’t find it really rough out there, I lived in Allston Street that was a really quiet area, but I knew what places to go and what no to., especially if you were headed towards Roxbury.... my friends were all attending the Berkley College so I used hang around Newbury St. during the day and on the Cambridge-to-Sommerville area at night. Sometimes I saw what you were talking about...

Sabato likes this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I lived in Brighton and Boston for six years, never felt unsafe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice