Any Navy guys out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JCW513, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I pondered the Navy, but ended up in the Coast Guard. My grandpa had been a Port Security Officer in the CG Reserve from the 50s- late 1970s and my dad was an Army aviator. Unlike the Navy, the CG sends the majority of their newly minted Seaman Apprentices straight to the fleet, small boat stations and shore units (from basic training) before going to “A” school. Service life can be difficult. I endured toxic leaders at my first unit and that experience basically led me to decide to get out after 4 years. But, I did get to live and work in Alaska and later the Arctic. I ended up being one of the last people to ever work with LORAN C Electronics. The service will give you a maturity and work ethic that will extend far beyond your service time and will likely be unmatched by your peers. You’ll also gain lifelong friends. I’m very thankful I was able to serve and would do it again, if I could. I’d encourage you to look into the Coast Guard. They need good, dedicated, people to help save lives and property at sea.

Merc and Sabato like this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I wouldn’t say it makes everyone mature and gives them work ethic. I was personally involved in correcting seven people that led to them eventually getting the boot. But worked alongside five others as well that had the same fate. Everything from drugs (oxycotton, huffing), not making it too work regularly, theft, split personality and stalking, disrespect and disobeying lawful orders, sexual assault (that one was court marshaled and served time). There are some good ones in the younger generation, but some real bad seeds as well. But they all did it to themselves.

RG7X and Henry like this.
  3. Jet_streamliner

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    There are dirt bags in all professions. I knew a few CPOs that got booted after 20+ years for misconduct. The civilian workforce is much less disciplined as far as I’ve seen. On the whole, though... I still stand by my statement. A majority of people who serve are not in this toxic group. They’re thankfully a small minority. And... I was only speaking from my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

4. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    Anyone and Everyone that served for our Country's Military, I just want to say Thank You & God Bless You.

Jet_streamliner and Merc like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You can always put in for a transfer. Bad bosses don't last too long in the service.

I have the utmost respect for Coasties. When the Navy's coming into port because of a storm, the Coasties are going out into harms way.

Jet_streamliner likes this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I did one hitch in the Air Force and sometimes wish I'd stayed in, most of the BS was over with and it was basically a job. I always liked that they said, "The Air Force is the only service smart enough to let the Officers do the fighting" !!!

wabash slim and Merc like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My wife works for the fed govt but not remotely military, a transfer takes from 1 to five years . . . to never. How long does a military transfer take and is that transferring to another CO, or completely moving the family to another city/state/country?

Again, all I'm saying is it's not for me, I need more control over my life and career, but can understand that others have other (and more patriotic and self-sacrificing) priorities.

8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Not sure when you were in or your AFSC, but my experience was different as far as enlisted go as everyone’s is. I knew both a lot of enlisted Security Forces and Engineers that augmented the Army in convoys and stuff and saw action during which. And I’m talking even an RPG hit. And my last assignment was AFSOC. Don’t forget we’ve got some stellar enlisted Special Forces like TACP’s and of course Combat Controllers (CCT) that take it to the enemy. One of the guys I supervised cross trained and made it as a CCT. I met Master Sgt. Robert Gutierrez when he visited our squadron (just google him). The guy was literally calling in super close air strikes while having a collapsed lung and received the Air Force Cross. If I remember right the strike was only 30-50’ away but my numbers might be off. Our EOD guys are stellar too. To not give them credit would be a disservice. Sadly one EOD in my squadron became a triple amputee. But he did live to see his child born which was supercool.

And for those of us enlisted that aren’t or weren’t taking it directly to the enemy during basic deployments... myself included it really blew not being able to fire back while sitting on a base receiving daily incoming mortars within 300’ and an occasional rocket. One time a buddy of mine was the first one to a tent that received a direct hit. Twenty plus guys inside, not the best sight. He got out and went back to Little Rock saying it was safer despite all the gangs. I got a cool deployment a different time and was assigned to CJSOTF as an engineer. We were part of special forces but in a supporting role. We’d basically go out to where the SEAL’s, Green Berets, MARSOC were at and give them electricity and stuff. My point... it was enlisted engineers that were landing on a dirt road, traveling for days in a Toyota Hilux that was unarmored on the side of a mountain, with a hired local sitting off the hood looking for IED’s. Then eating local goat because you had no MRE’s on site and there was no shower. All while the officers were safely flying high in the sky in their nice airplanes.

Sure there are some enlisted that have safe non fighting roles. But sorry, I can’t let certain Air Force enlisted not get credit for fighting or still being in some hairy situations. It might give the wrong impression.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Jet_streamliner, wabash slim and RG7X like this.
  9. Jet_streamliner

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    It depends on your type of orders (temporary duty or Permanent duty), the billet you’re filling, needs of the service, etc. My first unit was only a two year billet, I PCS’ed (went to my next unit) at a year and a half. My next unit was isolated duty (very remote location & without accompanying family) so it was only a year long billet but, I extended an extra year. You can’t PCS whenever you want. You have an obligation to fulfill your orders unless there’s something that prevents this from occurring. People can request hardship transfers or to “mutual” (where someone can swap with you if they want to go where you are) if they’re not happy where they are, however, it’s a whole process and has to be approved by your command, & their command, etc.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I didn't say a transfer was easy, fast, or always possible. Much of what happens to you in the service depends on what your Fairy Godmother's doing that day. I got lucky---last assignment was at RAF Lakenheath England in NATO in '71-72. No complaints!

The military certainly isn't for everyone. I only did one hitch---would've been drafted if I hadn't enlisted. I certainly couldn't have dealt with any more. I've always been a musician at heart. Still, glad I did it. It was both good and bad, but it was an experience I'm glad I went thru.

Merc and Henry like this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    It was a reasonably peaceful cold-war scenario in the mid 1970's. I was a medic but I wore a clean white uniform and worked inside a hospital building. Appreciate your service, I'm happy I didn't face any of that. I was at a tactical base in the UK supporting fighter-bombers. No one was shooting.

Merc likes this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Ha in the Marines we loved our Corpsmen. I remember getting sent to medical for overseas eval. Lots of shots and blood test. Got a nice new slick sleeve dude drawing blood, just trying to dig a mine but never hitting gold. I was as patient as possible but eventually the pain, yes real pain, pissed me off. I looked at him and said you will stop digging and get that out of my arm now. Apparently, there was a Commander behind me, three full bars on his shoulders just outside the door. he walks in looks at me preparing to put a hurt on the kid and he kicks he pulls him out of the room. He tells the kid you don't ef with the Marines because they will take the needle out themselves and proceed to plunge it repeatedly into their body. Came in I apologized he apologized and did the draw himself on the first shot. Pretty cool officer. We really do like our corpsmen but the dumbasses are gone quick.

@JCW513 if your pretty tuff physically and very very tuff mentally you should think about being a corpsman. That's almost as good as being a Marine.

13. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    As a civilian I worked in an emergency room and we had paramedics in training getting some experience. The ex-military medics could have trained us! What they did and saw in places like Iraq and Afghanistan was pretty amazing.

Merc and Bertotti like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The Cold War was an equally important time to serve. I appreciate your service as well. As you know, no one really chooses what they face. We just do what needs to be done whenever and where the ride takes us. I’m sure you faced your own challenges at times.

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Off topic but god bless ER people. I’ve had my visits after being hit by a car and breaking bones on several occasions. Plus the huge cuts requiring stitches and a visit too. Literally life savers.

16. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Unlike some ER's, where I worked the wait was max 45 minutes, and that was if some serious **** was going down. One of my fellow nurses told a patient complaining about the wait, "Real emergencies get seen right away". It was the poor uninsured person's primary care...

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice