Any Navy guys out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JCW513, Aug 7, 2019.

1. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    Long story short, I'm 26 and I planned to join the service after high school. Thats allI really wanted to do.. I decided for personal reasons to work a couple years first, well then my mom got sick, and I am a cake care of an elderly couple with no kids... Between those too things, it's been hard to separate At one point I tried getting into the Coast Guard, but the recruiter rubbed me the wrong way.

I filled out the information online, and got a call from the recruiter today. Of course I missed it, but I am calling them back tonight or tomorrow morning... My grandpa was the Navy, my other one was in Army and Navy and my uncle was in the Navy. I'm excited, and hope everything works out. It's been my dream for 10 years now and its time to stop putting everyone else before me.

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's my biggest regret not joining the Navy . 1977 right after high school , I wanted to join . Ralph Banta was my recruiter . I still don't know why I never joined . My wife just rolls her eyes ( don't take that wrong , we're both pro military ) because I often tell people it's my biggest regret in life . She always says " I know , you told us before "
    DO IT !

Charlie westside likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If one person rubbing you the wrong way puts you off recruitment, then you probably should not join any armed services. Not being critical of you, that is legitimate and I would do the same because I don't deal with people like that, and am in a position to make that choice. In the armed services, you won't have a choice.

I am more inclined to create my own path, rather follow in footsteps of others. I would never choose a career just because someone else had the same careee. I personally think joining the military because a family member did is a poor choice. I find it odd that you list your family's involvement in the military, implying a reason, and then saying you're tired of putting everyone else before you.

Choose the navy because it's your choice, not your father's.

But again, that's just my opinion.

Waxhead likes this.
  4. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    joined USN right out of high school in 1974. went Construction Force. never regretted it. served 2 stints as a school instructor, travelled the world and in 20 years only did 2 months on ships. Seabees tended to fly to destinations do the work and fly back. Parley'd the instructor duties into a vocational education degree when I retired... no mostly just tired, and living in New Zealand. Go for it if your heart is set on it. Good Luck.

5. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I work with my Dad and brother, we own a construction company. When my mom got sick, she couldn't get out of bed or do anything. She had Rheumatoid Arthritis, just the weight to of blankets on her body hurt her when she first got sick. So my dad working all day, and taking care of her, we'd take turns staying home or bringing her to the doctors.. She was very bad for 3 years.

When you see your mom that sick, and your dad struggling to take care of her. Nothing else matters in my book, they took care of me and any way I can return the favor I will...Luckily the medicine she takes has helped her improve a lot. I also take care of an elderly couple, bring them to doctors, used to do their grocery shopping, and what ever else they need, but ive gotten them help with some elder services, but from age 17 to now, i've been doing everything for them and its kinda hard to walk away, but I need to think of my future and this is what i've wanted.

I should mention i'm also looking into reserves as an option.

Henry and Charlie westside like this.
  6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I have never been in the military.
    My brother was in the Air Force. I did a stint as Sheriff's Deputy here in
    Los Angels County. The only thing I can say is follow your heart. I know what burning desire feels like. What's in your heart? Sometimes it's important to forge your own path wherever that leads you. You seem like you are a good son. I'm sure both your mom and dad are already proud of you for your loving sacrifices. Make sure that you think things through. Never make a decision on a whim. But follow your heart. Ask yourself what is your passion. Good luck.

7. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Best of luck. Set your expectations accordingly. Hopefully you've talked with people who are in and have the same MOS you are targeting.

Charlie westside and JCW513 like this.
  8. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    Thank you.. if I go reserves, your MOS is limited the nearest station and or open billets, depending on your ASVAP score. I'm hoping for something Seabees related, as I love construction. But we will see.

9. Blue333

Blue333 Electromatic

Feb 10, 2019
    Kingsville, TX
    I was an ET (electronics technician) from 98 - 09. It was the best decision I could have ever made to help my family. I was trained to do a job starting from zero, received several follow-on schools to learn new equipment and jobs, and got experience doing all of these things. When it was time to leave the Navy, I had zero problems finding a job that paid enough to keep me and my family very comfortable. Best decision ever.

There is a saying, though, and it is true. "Choose your rate, choose your fate". Think long and hard about what you want to do in the Navy, because that will be what you do for four (or six) years of your life. My son is a corpsman (HM is the rating) and has been to some pretty crappy places with the Marines and had some equally crappy commands and he is done after this last enlistment. Whatever you do, make sure anything the recruiters promise you is in writing, especially your job choice!

Charlie westside, Merc and JCW513 like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Get it done quick. I was in the Marines but when I was in the cut off was 26 you hit 27 they wouldn't enlist you.

Charlie westside and JCW513 like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Henry, I’m wondering if you’ve ever served? People butt heads and rub each other the wrong way both in the civilian sector as well as in the military. Great thing about the military is odds are one of you will likely get orders within a few years . In civilian jobs you have to put up with it or find a new job as people can stay around a lot longer than a few years.

@JCW513 Having recently retired from the USAF within the last two years, and having served in the USN as well... PM sent. I’ll give it to you straight up to help YOU decide if it’s right for you.

Sabato, Henry and Bertotti like this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No matter which branch that you choose (if you do choose to serve) I wish you luck and give you a great hearty Thank You for standing up and enlisting.

CatTones and Charlie westside like this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    If you join regular USN, make your recruiter and every person in uniform who asks or councils you aware of your construction experience and that you desire to be a SeaBee. That way you may get rated before you leave boot camp. It will make your entry into the fleet much better: better pay, higher initial rank, better possibility of a good billet and a job you understand and enjoy, better chance for quick advancement. I was rated right out of boot and enjoyed several benefits.

However, I have always had a problem with authority, and that caused me some problems in the Nav. You forfeit many freedoms in military service, but with ready skills and/or some higher education it can be a rewarding path. I was in during Vietnam, and my duty was relatively safe, but the Navy generally is less likely to get into a live fire situation right now, except maybe in the ME. But that’s a risk you take when you enter any branch of military service. You might have to kill somebody, and you might get killed.

Be sure you know what you want, and go in with your eyes open.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    both grandfathers are navy men, although they never really saw combat on the aircraft carriers they were on in the pacific theater. I'm proud of them as they were fighting for America, now days I dont know what the fight is about but it certainly isnt about my freedom. God bless the men and women in uniform, regardless.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just do it, many will try to talk you out of it, the same thing happened to me. I heard all kinds of excuses but if you want it just do it. Pm me if you want or listen to @Merc Retired military guys have a lot of insight into the lifestyle. Truth is I got bossed around by butt heads a lot more after I got out and backstabbed a lot more after I got out. I tell every kid now who can’t make up his mind on reenlistment what happened to me so they can make a better choice for themselves.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Merc and Charlie westside like this.
  16. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Sending out much love to our military folks. Past, Present & Future. :)

CatTones, Bertotti and Merc like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    No, have never served, for many of the reasons I've posted. Well, exactly, if you have a cruel, awful supervisor in a civilian job, you can quit. If that happens in the navy, you wait a few years for new orders? That's too long for me but maybe for others that's ok. I am very fortunate to have found a good job with decent people 14 years ago and now have become a partner (lawyer). I feel really bad for people stuck in terrible work situations, civilian or military.

However, I don't want to discourage people from serving, like you, I want them to do it with eyes wide open (and no rose tinted glasses). It is a huge commitment, and I respect that.

Merc and Charlie westside like this.
  18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Lots of good advice here, JCW. Recommend heeding it all, plus some.

President Reagan was my Commander in Chief for 8 of my 8.5 years. I was 21 before I went in. No regrets whatsoever, very proud to have served. Navy trained me to provide very well for my family all these years, as well. EM1/SS/DV DAFreeze (usedtobe) at your service.

Charlie westside, Bertotti and Henry like this.
  19. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    @JCW513 Must’ve already shipped off to basic training already. I hear crickets. ;)

How’d talking to the Recruiter work out?

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You know how it goes, sometimes you get excited and hop on the MEPs bus the next day! I actually got turned down on my first try, I was 7lbs under minimum Jarhead weight for my height. Well, go figure an Iowa HS wrestler on the varsity team cutting weight. hahaha, One thing though was Bootcamp physically was a breeze, the mind games though were a new challenge!

@JCW513 prepare yourself for the hemorrhoid check! And don't be a smartass to the docs or corpsmen especially before that check! hahahahaaha

Charlie westside and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice