Any love for electric 12 strings?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stardustudios, Feb 19, 2020.

1. stardustudios

stardustudios Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    Wow, that's a great story! I wonder why they were adamant about not having a guitar in the first place, but glad to hear that they saw the light, so to speak.
    Hard to believe it spent so long on the store wall but it sounds like it went to the perfect home! :)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    thunder58 likes this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you have basically unlimited money, sure why not, fill your slots. If not, I would think about how much time I would spend on and enjoying it rather: between the 12 and that other guitar you want, which would you play more. That slot may be filled because that is where you spend the most time and having two flavors in that spot might be a good thing.

I would instead ask everyone with 12 strings - how often do you play them? I know many guitar players who havent touched their 12 in years, but will play several strats or teles (or Gretsch) in a week.

But what you really should do is buy a jet, like that DCM listed here, since you don't seem to mind projects.

stardustudios likes this.
  4. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    I know what you mean about people not playing their 12s all that often. A lot of songs I play sound better on one though so I'd get the use out of it. I know it might take me years to find the 4 or 5 ideal guitars for my tastes & who knows, maybe two of them will be the same style.
    My Double Jet is going to be my project Gretsch as.it's already been modded by the previous owner. I do like that DCM colour though!

pilgrim and mrfixitmi like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well Stardust - 3 comments from me :D

I love 12 strings guitars tone wise but never owned one cause too much trouble changing strings for me.
    If I was ever gonna get one it would be either a Gretsch (no bigsby) or a Ric.

Having owned an Epi Dot, and a Sheraton II, imo a Gretsch 54 series Electromatic totally poos on both in tone and overall quality.

And signatures mean nothing to me - except it would get you a better sale price on it to someone over 50 who might remember MJ Fox :p

mrfixitmi and stardustudios like this.
  6. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    I have 3 comments right back at ya! :D
    Yeah, I have a 5435TG & it sounds amazing.
    My mate's 13 year old daughter's favourite movie is Back to the Future, so he's not as unremembered as you might think.
    I once saw a Dot like mine that he'd signed go for $6000AUD - enough for a couple of Rics. ;)

Waxhead likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    An enjoyable video always ....

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Henry,
    Great question. Now, I use a 12 string about 40% of the time, due to fatigue and age. That is where the G5422-12 shines, for me. It is so easy to play and being amped, it projects so well, I find myself playing it more frequently. My son uses his 12-string acoustics about 80% of the time. He works in a hospice, and the sweet sound of a finger-picked 12-string has a calming effect. The Falcon Rancher has a unique light Gretsch jangly sound that is almost bell-like. For some people this draws them in.
    You bring up a good point, if his patients love Johnny Cash, a 6-string seems to work better. From week to week, you never know. Some weeks the 12-strings sit, and the 6-strings becomes the go to tools.

stardustudios and thunder58 like this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I'll post the results on GT.

stardustudios likes this.
  10. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    For a few years, in Nashville I used "free" Baldwin 6 and 12 string guitars. I have always like 12 strings, I have a Gibson SG 12 and a Taylor 912CE. I tried the two neck route, too heavy for me, but some were the same weight as the Gibson Lucille (23lb) so amybe it was the balance ob the double neck.

11. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I don't have an electric 12 string right now, but if I did I think I 'd play it something like this guy...

SAguitar, GlenP, Waxhead and 4 others like this.
  12. rze99

rze99 Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England
    Yeah.. it HAD to be a Rickenbacker for me and I have zero regrets.

Ric 330/12 Jetglo. Add compressor turned up to VERY squishy, lots of reverb and then knock out those classic riffs. Smiiiiile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SAguitar, PJHoppy, Tele295 and 8 others like this.
  13. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Same here. Had to be a Rickenbacker. Nothing else sounds the same.

[​IMG]

SAguitar, PJHoppy, Tele295 and 6 others like this.
  14. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    I do like the black ones, particularly the Susannah Hoffs model with 3 pickups & sawtooth binding.
    HOffs.jpg

PJHoppy, rze99, JC higgy and 4 others like this.
  15. PJHoppy

PJHoppy Electromatic

Feb 9, 2014
    London
    They’re useful and interesting guitars. I’ve got a Burns Double Six (the modern one) with an almost 2” wide neck which is a bit awkward but means that I can finger-pick and there’s lots of room for arpeggios. Unfortunately I find the Rickenbacker 12 string neck a bit too narrow, although I’d love one; I struggle with my 360-6 0D3D4B35-2707-46C5-9EB1-C1594BCE2FCD.jpeg C49E8A13-A244-4211-8E28-9ADCA760BDCC.jpeg

16. SAguitar

SAguitar Electromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    I can't play 12 strings! I'm too lazy. Although I do appreciate someone who can play those beasts.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. Scamp

Scamp Newbie

Feb 22, 2018
    California

18. Scamp

Scamp Newbie

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I love 12 strings. Have 4. Gretsch 5422 12, an Ovation Acoustic 12, an Ovation Deacon electric 12 and a Fender Strat 12. Guess it goes back to the folk song era. :D
    Almost forgot I also have an Epiphone double neck

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    stardustudios, GlenP and thunder58 like this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Awesome !

20. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Lead Belly, Pete Seeger, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, any others?

How about Leo Kotke?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice