Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Any harmonica love here

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Sep 4, 2015.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Well I asked this question last year and had a few responses . Well , lots of new active members here lately so I was just wondering . Do you play , own , have a harp player in the band , play a harp with a neck brace while playing guitar ? If so tell us . What harps do you own ? Heres my list ;
    13 Blues Harps
    4 Echo's
    1 Golden Melody
    1 Little Lady
    1 Chromatic
    2 Special 20
    1 neck harp holder

and gassing for a Comet ...........
    BTW - There all Hohners

2. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I had a little collection that I lost; I used to work in a music store and they let me take some of the old ones that were sitting around. Now I have nothing but toys for the kids. I've always wanted a chromatic one.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Henry , treat yourself . Go get one this weekend .......

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    LoL, yessir!

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Enjoy it and have fun

7. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    Well, I'm not a harp player but love it when a good harp player sits in. There are different styles of playing. I like pretty much all of them. When I lived in Pittsburgh I had a good buddy who would sit in; for a while we had a guitar/vocal, harp & lap steel trio. That was pretty awesome.

If you like blues-style, here's a cover I really like. Nothing But the Devil orig by Lightnin Slim: https://soundcloud.com/irony-sleepone/paul-rishell-and-annie-raines

8. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The craziest harmonica-ing I've seen was Blues Traveler in Boston, 1994. The show was not poppy like their albums; live, it's much more hard rock, twice as fast and distorted. Popper just shredded, cool tones on his harp.

9. Perry Bryant

Perry Bryant Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2012
    Sharpsburg, GA
    I have 1. An old $.98 harmonica that my granddad used to play. Wish I could hear him play it again. 1950's M. Hohner Old Standby. Key of A.

T simmons likes this.
  10. Factotum

Factotum Gretschie

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Don't have one at the moment, but I've always wanted to get one. What's a good all around?

thunder58 likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The key is to get one in a useful - er - key. Thunder should probably advise on this. It depends on if you want to play with a specific song. The common keys would probably be C G D A E majors. Again, thunder should advise, but for E major blues you might get I think an A major harp to get the D unsharped; you might be able to use a D major. I've only played harmonicas like a piano, playing simple melodies more like a flute as I just ad hoc'd it, I don't know any of the tricks, slurs, bends etc.

Factotum likes this.
  12. Factotum

Factotum Gretschie

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the info. If it helps clarify my question, I'd probably like a harmonica that can rock along with some Dylan tunes.

13. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    I love harmonica, but I absolutely suck at it! (When I guess I should blow?)

14. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    love a harp player!!! l play air harp; but still suck at it!:eek:

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Most of the harp guys I've dealt with like Hohner Blues Harps. I've seen prices vary. You probably want a Marine Band, pretty much your All-American basic harmonica, played by folkies, farmers, Cowboys and convicts everywhere. There are chording harmonicas, bass harmonicas, altos, sopranos, etc.. Hohner also has an interesting 5 watt amp with a mic input, XLR line out, and reverb. The Shure Green Bullet, a piezo electric crystal mike, is the standard choice. Thing with harps is to get one four steps off---I.e. G for a song in C, C for F, D for a G tune, and so on. G is bassiest in the Blues Harp line. My brother and a couple three buddies are harp players. Beer is a part of it. Harp oil, apparently.

it's an instrument that can go anywhere, play many songs. It's usually a one octave instrument. Easy to learn some basics, and can go virtuosic. Great for long road trips---good time to learn to play. The only way to make them louder is a mike. I've seen megaphone things that aim sideways and color the sound. Mike them thru the PA or a guitar amp. I've heard one thru a Leslie.

My Dad and uncle both played Chromatics---badly, usually after a few beers. My father in law did country tunes on an old Hohner as well, along with guitar and fiddle.

Enjoy!

Factotum likes this.
  16. Factotum

Factotum Gretschie

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Well now I'm beyond jacked. Just ordered a Hohner Special 20, Major C.

17. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I love the harp myself, been playin for as long as the guitar, bout 25 years. I got a nice collection, some prewar hohners, mostly newer ones. I like acoustic harp more than electric. I think most people who play harp dont leave any space. That is one instrument that should be used sparingly imo.

Gretschmen65 and blc45 like this.
  18. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I love playing harp. Nothing flashy, I just improvise and it works. If I'm playing guitar then I will use a neck brace. I'm partial to the Blues Harp and Golden Melody. So far I have 2 Blues Harps and 5 Golden Melodys.

I have a pretty cool mic. I bought it years ago. A guy used to make them from tea balls. It fits very well in the hand.

19. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Excellent choice Factotum . The 2 Special 20's I mentioned are kept in my car in the console . One C and one D . Yes , I do sometimes play while driving ( one hand only lol and you do note my signature after my post ) Makes my 85 year old father shake his head back and forth and my wife use some foul language ( not to bad of words ) Then she'll ask the famous question of " how the hell did I wind up with you " ( lol ) . The Special 20 has a plastic comb which will last forever and a great sound too . Good luck

Factotum likes this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Great advice Henry

21. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I was very close with my grandfather . I wish your granddad could play one more time for you too . Great memories those Grandpa's.....

Perry Bryant likes this.