Another totally unnecessary but potentially awesome NGD...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Had some of bits come in from Philadelphia Luthier yesterday for this one and got it pretty much all put back together at the shop tonight.

[​IMG]
    I started off pulling one of the pieces of veneer I had shimming the neck pocket. Next was installing the 8mm to 4mm conversion posts (these seemed good quality w/ a nice weight and tight but smooth tolerances so I'll hang on to the ones coming from Faber for another day) and the Wilkinson roller bridge. Last and most time consuming, I removed the aged nickel cover on the bridge Antiquity and installed a chrome nickel silver cover for a better match aesthetically.

I wound up running out of time tonight and didn't get around to intonating it yet, but I think splitting the difference on the neck angle w/ this bridge is an improvement w/ a bit slinkier feel, no reintroduction of dead/buzzy unwound strings so far, and a nice lively resonant feel up the neck.

The pickup cover was more of a pain than I was expecting but everything eventually fit securely and no harm was done in the process aside from melting the foot of a mini clamp w/ the soldering iron. This cover has a bit more square corners than the stock Wilkinson ones, but I think it looks a whole lot better than the vintage correct sized, aged one on this guitar.

I'm planning to rewire w/ good stuff when the knobs and switch tip get here from Rockinger, but otherwise I think my tinkering is complete and this is going to be a super fun guitar ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Bertotti and Alberta_Slim like this.
  2. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Super cool too, Sid. Nice work!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.