Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Another tick on the bucket list!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Armygirl, Jun 11, 2018.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Fantastic photos Martine , makes me feel like I was right along side of you . So happy for you that you had a great time . " Tickets for Troops " ... something we should adopt on this side of the pond .... well deserved Martine , well deserved :)

Armygirl and russmack like this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    They are brilliant! My mate is going to see Taylor Swift at Wembley this month.... even if that's not your thing, you can see that that is a highly prized ticket. You can also take your pals which is great! They do theatre, comedy, theme park and sports tickets too, as well as summer festivals. This week, you can go to see Lionel Richie, Taylor, Katy Perry, Nile Rodgers, Lenny Kravitz, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Billy Ocean, The Kaiser Chief, Queens of the Stone Age, Elvis Costello, Liam Gallagher, Noel Gallagher, The Vamps, Plan B and The Last Night of The Proms! And that's just the music bit. All for 75p booking fee!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    thunder58 likes this.
  3. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    @larryb just sat straight up in his chair.

larryb and Armygirl like this.
  4. congratulations, Martine ! wow ! a Rolling Stones concert ! bet that was very cool feeling of being there. glad to see you on the forum. hope you're feeling better these days.

Armygirl likes this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Very cool I love the stones they are one of my favorite bands. I got to see them a few years back when Lenny Kravitz opened for them at soldier field in Chicago. Keith is still one of my favorite guitar players and it was the stones and blues that got me into open G tuning when I was younger. It’s funny because the bands that do the highest grossing tours are the old bands like the stones. And absolutely a great show of vintage guitars with them another great vintage guitar show was Aerosmith and cheap trick. I saw them here in Nola. Glad you got to go and you had a great time

Armygirl likes this.
  6. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Only seen them once -- all in natty check jackets on a package tour at the Liverpool Odeon with Bo Diddley and the Everly Brothers. I'm going back a bit here!

Armygirl and MTurner like this.
  7. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Don’t I recall that you used to see the Beatles at the Cavern Club?

Armygirl likes this.
  8. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    Very nice, great when you get to see a band like this so close rather than in the gods.

Armygirl likes this.
  9. NSM245

NSM245 Gretschie

May 7, 2011
    Scotland
    I wasn't there but I heard it, since I live literally a five minute walk from Murrayfield Stadium. I would have gone but for some reason, it just didn't register on my brain until the actual day of the show, I didn't even know it was happening until then. I was offered a ticket by a guy in the street earlier in the day, for a HUGE amount of cash - you wouldn't believe how much! I just wish I'd been more alert earlier on and got myself organised with a ticket.

I have seen them live once before though - literally a half century ago, at a theatre in Aberdeen - I was still at school at the time! I wonder if they'll ever stop, or if they intend rockin' till they drop?

Armygirl likes this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    You know me brother!!!!
    :cool:

Armygirl and MTurner like this.
  11. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Neil, I would totally believe the amount of money you were asked for. It was insane how much people were demanding. Just as bad were the ticket resale sites. Some were asking, three weeks before the gig, over a grand for a general admission ticket that was still on sale for £180, which itself is a disgrace. The site getmein.com is owned by the ticket agent Ticketmaster and is basically just legalised theft. If you google Rolling Stones tickets, it will direct you to getmein rather than the regular Ticketmaster site, even if there are general sale tickets left. Also, if there is a popular gig on sale at ticketmaster and it sells out in about five minutes, lo and behold, there are tickets on getmein for ten times the price within minutes of them going on general sale.

The awful thing is that, for some gigs, like the David Gilmour, Iron Maiden and Kate Bush ones, you needed either ID or the card you paid with to get in, so the £3k you paid for your Gilmour ticket at the Royal Albert Hall from getmein would see you being turned away at the door...

Sorry about the rant but I hate touts... individual or corporate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    russmack and stevemorrison like this.
  12. NSM245

NSM245 Gretschie

May 7, 2011
    Scotland
    Martine you said - "Sorry about the rant but I hate touts... individual or corporate"

No 'sorry' needed - I agree with every single word you wrote. Tickets obtained completely legally are often way too expensive anyway. Ticket prices in general have risen a lot over the last 15 or 20 years, at a much higher percentage rate than most things - it used to be the case that bands made their cash via record sales, and then via CD sales, and the tours were often tied in with promoting a new album, so the concerts were affordable. With things like Spotify, Youtube and a host of other such sites, sales profits plummeted - the industry is looking at such things at the moment to try to redress the balance but when you add illegal downloads into the mix, they're fighting a losing battle. The result of all of that is that the roles have reversed - bands nowadays make more money from concerts than from bands, so their managements keep pushing up the cost of tickets to maximise profits.

Then when touts get into their scams......it's rip-off city. Since you opened the subject out from my original comment, I'll tell you that the guy who offered me a ticket wanted £1500 for it. I can't imagine that Mick and his bunch of merry men would approve of that! Now it's my turn to say 'sorry for the rant'! :)

Armygirl and russmack like this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Oh, still no wheel chair on stage ??? :D:D:D

PS: Yes, you got it, I never was a Stones fan ;) ... sorry, couldn't resist.

Armygirl likes this.