Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Another tick on the bucket list!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Armygirl, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Well I am a bit (guiltily) knackered after spending Saturday evening with a bunch of Septuagenarians in Edinburgh. The fact that these senior gentlemen happened to be called Mick, Keef, Ronnie and Charlie might hint at why I’m so utterly exhausted... yup, the Rolling Stones we’re playing at Murrayfield National Rugby Stadium in Edinburgh on Saturday, and I was there!!

My three pals and I were there courtesy of a military charity called Tickets for Troops, which means we got there for free. I was expecting to be shoved to the back of the top tier but no, we had pitch side seats, not that we sat in them much.

I was also a bit worried that they would be going through the motions at this late stage in their careers... but how wrong I was! They were on absolute top form and spent over two hours leaping about like 20-somethings, churning out hit after hit after hit. I could hardly speak yesterday I was singing so loudly. I think Mick Jagger has sold his soul to the devil or something... I’ve never seen a 75 year old run about so much. Quote of the night was “how are they even alive, never mind able to do that?” The also seemed to be having so much fun themselves.... there's nothing more morale (and wallet) sapping than a miserable performer. Take note Bob Dylan.

There were kids, 20 somethings, people in their 30s and 40s and right up to 80s there and I got a bit tearful watching two lovely young women in their 20s in front of us enjoying the gig with their obvioisly sick dad, who honestly didn’t look as if he was long for this world, belting out songs as if they hadn’t a care in the world.

The only Gretsch was Charlie's drum kit but Ronnie and Keith had a staggering array of guitars... I've been trying to nail the open G sound all yesterday (wrist is killing me) and im already getting somewhere... sounds great on my Streamliner.

So that’s another bunch of absolute legends I’ve managed to get to see. I’m really privileged. I’m not sure if there will be anyone around to fill 100,000 seater stadiums when I’m in my 70s... but for the time being, I’ll just enjoy the ones who are doing it now! Next up... Roger Waters on 29th June!

--

Sent from My iPad

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Sounds like a great time, Martine! Who knows how many more tours the boys will undertake. Congrats.

Armygirl likes this.
  3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Wishing I had gone to see them when I had the chance. Admit I'm late to appreciate them.

Armygirl likes this.
  4. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Actually, I totally lied. The quote of the night was from Keith. He said "Hiya Edinburgh. It's good to be back! Actually, it's good to be anywhere..."

nickurso, thunder58, audept and 4 others like this.
  5. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Fab! I got to see them with Brian Jones, then again with Mick Taylor. Haven't seen that new kid yet.

Enjoy Mr Waters. It's a great show, all the usual hits, & the Battersea power station (with flying pig) makes a spectacular appearance.

Armygirl likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Martine, how awesome that you got to see the Rolling Stones, and were honored with free tickets!

Joe90 and Armygirl like this.
  7. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Bloody Hell, you were close! Nothing like a great Stones show.

I'm proud to say, I've survived 4 .

The last one was the Some Girls Tour.

Armygirl likes this.
  8. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've been lucky to see them three times...first one was their 'Farewell' tour (everyone claimed it was going to be their last tour) in 1981...saw them a few times since lol
    Glad you enjoyed it M!

Armygirl likes this.
  9. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Ab Fab! You got to see the stones while they can still stand and remember all the words.:cool: I read somewhere that Keef takes the bass E string off his open g tuned guitar, maybe give it a go before a full string change.

Armygirl likes this.
  10. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Yes he does... I'll be trying that one for sure because it does totally get in the way...

11. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Theyve done about 15 tours since 1981!! Everyone is saying that about this one. They do seem to be having a blast though... who knows, they might do it again.

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Pretty cool Martine,i've never seen them myself,but i don't get out much nowadays!

My cousin seen them in Dublin a few years ago and said they were class,and he too mentioned how Mick was running around like a 2 year old all night!:)

Armygirl likes this.
  13. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Just added some video clips to the original post. lf the sound is garbage, it's my phone... in real life it was amazing.

14. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    He was. Its actually astounding seeing a bloke with a face that has been lived in by squatters moving so quickly.

JC higgy and speedicut like this.
  15. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    :D

Armygirl likes this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks for the report. Sounds like a blast. I was somewhat tempted to see "oldchella" but it was too much effort.

Armygirl likes this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    About 20 years ago I really thought this would be the last chance for me seeing them live....

Armygirl likes this.
  18. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Sounds like you had a blast, Martine! These guys always deliver a great show. As Scott Fraser says above, the Roger Waters show is fantastic also. I saw it a few months back in Sydney and it was excellent. I must say that Keef is starting to look a lot like the guy in my bathroom mirror every morning!

Armygirl likes this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes, RW was a fabulous show last summer. Enjoy!

Armygirl likes this.
  20. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    That guy seems to be in my mirror too.

He's pretty useless.

But, if he's not there I'll be in trouble.

Russ

Armygirl likes this.