Another NGD, on its way.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Crooner, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    This was a bit of a saga, but it looks like its finally a done deal and should ship out this week.

Maton EBG808C-Nashville!

jgpthnlnp4obj46oeisj.jpg qiboykwvlsforqnms0fg.jpg tfxhkd2cn95ek7zxnvad.jpg exwx38ynecpheblgmih4.jpg

MKunie, dak55, T Bone and 15 others like this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Lovely! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’ve never played one, would like to someday.

Congrats

4. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Why, thank you! All things being equal, I'm a Martin guy, but for live use, the Maton AP5 Pro pickup system is amazing and this was such a great deal I couldn't pass on it.
    Just ordered a Maton soundhole cover for it. Can't wait to hear it through my AER Compact 60!

TSims1 and thunder58 like this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Me too , but you've peaked my interest now . Congrats crooner , enjoy it

6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    And how will you be getting this purchase passed your girlfriend?

7. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

Thanks, Rich. I must admit I had never even heard of Maton guitars until I became obsessed with Tommy Emmanuel. I've since played a few and they are most definitely a different animal from Martins. Not as full bodied, thinner necks (both fretboard width and girth), not quite as loud, but they do have a well balanced tone, pleasing mids and are very comfy to play.

I've heard in the past an old axiom that an acoustic that sounds good plugged in will usually not sound great acoustically, but I think Maton kind of bucks that trend. That being said, they do really shine when plugged in.

If the installation of the AP5 Pro wasn't such a major piece of guitar surgery, I'd consider having it installed in a Martin, but I've been told that unless it's a factory install, it's not worth the gamble.

Well, I've considered a hammer or some kind of blunt object, but short of that, I'll just play the dumb game. "What? That's not new! It's been in its case in my closet for a year, honey! You've seen me play this on a gig before! Are you sure sure you’re feeling okay? You’re funny!"

;-)

thunder58 and Mr Swisher like this.
  8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very nice. I've been looking hard at the Maton Fix model.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Darin!

One of my locals had a few Maton's in stock,before they went under,unfortunately i never got a chance to try one.

10. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That man can twist my arm too .....
    Take note of what I posted in the thread that member @Flouswa started called " Acoustic pickup recommendations " ( forum - The pickup place ) I'm so glad it wasn't my HD-35 or my D12-28 .... that would have put me over the edge

11. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Its made here in Oz!! you made a fine choice! those are beautiful guitars! built tough too!

To me, They are the BEST sounding acousstic PLUGGED IN. That AP5-Pro pickup you have there is amazing.. you dont need anything, be it pedals/EQ/Pre-amp if you have that.. just really amazing sounding acoustics.. my friends who use that have absolutely beautiful tone plugged in direct to a PA or through an acoustic amp..

But, I dont prefer the pure acoustic sound it has.. I like a more vintage sounding Martin for small bodies.. but it doesnt mean its bad, its just not the tone Im looking for..

My guitar tech said that its just built tough, "overbuilt" as he said compared to other guitars which makes it a really tough acoustic which affects tone.. but since I play in church, and always plugged in, I want to buy a Maton too! but if Im playing with mics, and pure acoustic tone, I prefer other acoustic..

TSims1 likes this.
  12. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

Yeah... I agree. To me, Martins have a certain sound that no other manufacturer can duplicate. I hear all the talk about the Taylor V Class and I've heard them and played them, but Martins have it down. Yes... Collings and Santa Cruz and Froggy Bottom makes some excellent acoustics, but I dig Martins. Unfortunately, the Martins I dig are the most expensive ones.

That being said, Maton does have a somewhat new model called the CS Classic, which is a departure for them in that it's very close to 000-28 and white I haven't played one yet, I hear it sounds amazing.

13. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    There's one store near me that specializes in acoustics, including Collings, Santa Cruz, etc etc... Im afraid to touch those Collings btw, but I heard one being played while I was hunting for my own acoustic and it sounds amazing.. and I tested it with CLOSE supervision of a sales man there, I felt the pressure, LOL, but a few strums sounded like I was king of the acoustic tones...

Ive played a few Santa Cruz, and while they're great, I think Collings sound better to my ears, at least for me.. but both build quality is second to none.. but like all guitars, the original, somehow holds some charm and signature sound that is special.. no matter how many build boutique Fenders, a true Fender will always hold it's ground.. and no matter how Collings or Santa Cruz, etc etc improve on what Martin built up, a Martin for me is still special, and will always be..

I havent played the highest end Matons, but I played the Tommy Emmanuel signature, its amazing and playability and construction is top notch.. I only want to play them plugged in, so I did, and it blew me away..

blueruins likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have been gigging my Mini Maton extensively, and can honestly say I have NEVER heard a better sounding pickup. Plugged in, it blows everything else away. I’ve even RECORDED it plugged in straight to the desk(which I NEVER do)! You are gonna love that!

blueruins likes this.
  15. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston

I hear you. Another thing I like about Collings is the fact they tend to use the "V" neck profile like vintage Martins.

There is a fairly new company called Pre-War Guitars that makes custom acoustics that are essentially "time travel" Martins. They use a bunch of proprietary techniques to age the woods and offer several grades of distressing to basically give you a pre-1940's Martin. I've never been near one, but I know Tommy E. owns a few and he loves them and says they feel and sound like the real thing.
    Yes... they're expensive, but not nearly as much as a an actual pre-war Martin.

blueruins likes this.
  16. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Oh yeah! I am very anxious to plug it in and get "that tone!"
    Have you had to adjust the placement of the mic arm at all?

17. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Nice guitar, Crooner. Congratulations! Like to try one myself and am actually in the market for an HD-35

18. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Get this...
    The seller just contact me to say that the store he bought the guitar from contacted him saying he was selling it for too low a price and that he should send it to them for consignment and cancel our deal.

The backstory...
    He had listed the guitar on eBay about a month ago. I contacted him with an offer which he countered and I accepted. The next thing I know, it sold for less than we had agreed upon. I write him and asked what had happened and he said there was an error with eBay (?) and he still had the guitar but preferred to move the sale to Reverb. I agreed and asked him to let me know as soon as he listed it. I gave him all my personal contact info which was tough as eBay's fitters blocked many messages because we were discussing an outside sale. I literally had to resort to code language and hoping that he could decipher my message. I was I favor of keeping it in eBay, but he said he could save on seller fees by going to Reverb.
    A week went by.
    Finally he listed it... TWICE! I wrote him and asked which one I should choose and I submitted my offer and he accepted.

ITEM PAID FOR!

Now he says that someone from the store he purchased it from saw the listing and said he was not getting enough for the guitar and he wants to refund my money. Mid you he adds that the guitar is b coxed and ready to ship. Thanks for adding that detail, buddy.

One one hand I can understand that the guy wants to get as much money as he can but he should have thought of that before he took my money. Plus, I seriously doubt his story that someone from the store saw the listing on Reverb and called him to offer the consignment deal. I think he called them and asked them if he was getting too little and most likely didn't tell them it was fargen icehole sold.

Anyway, I write him and said that while I can empathize, I think the right thing to do is honor our deal, which we negotiated over 4 weeks. I also told him a true story about when I bought my 6122 JR a few years back... I found one on eBay for about $2000 and agreed to buy it. Before paying, I found another in the same condition for $500 less. I asked a few members here what I should do and everyone said that the karma was more important than the money and I should honor my first agreement, so I bought the first one and never looked back.

I sat and stewed over the whole thing and then decide to write to the store owner and explain what was gong on. I made it very clear that I was in no way implying that one of his employees was medaling where they shouldn't. Rather, I suggested that the seller was trying to pull a bit of a weasel move. I asked him if he would consider speaking to his employee and ask her to talk to the seller and tell him that he should honor his sale to me.

What do you all think about this? Is this a sign that I should let him do what he wants and get money back? Can a guitar get cooties from a banana-head owner? Is it an innocent instrument caught in a bad faith situation? I do want it.

Should I fight for my guitar or walk away?

Man, I hate wishy-washy sellers.

Thank goodness for G-T members and their stand-up values!

19. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Get the money back and buy it from here in Oz..

But, wishy washy sellers I try to avoid.. this already happened twice for you, Ebay and now in Reverb, obviously the seller is apprehensive with the sale even if he has the money, in that situation, Id want to get my money out of his hands, fast.

You can always find another one of this acoustic, or maybe an even better one.. but the seller's attitude is a bit shady.. Maybe you can try and ask him one more time, if he hesitates, get your refund and look somewhere else..

20. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I dunno, Darin, I’m a “You made a deal, now honor it” kind of guy, myself. I’d be sorely tempted to tell him that, in so many words.

I just know that if I were him, once the deal was done, and oh-so-especially once the payment was received, that’d be it. My conscience wouldn’t allow me to do anything else.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice