Another Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by ARGuitarGuy, Nov 21, 2018.

1. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    Haven't owned a Gretsch in 20+ years. I had a blonde syncromatic with dearmonds.... a very cool guitar but mine was crappy, lousy acoustic tone (the foundation of good tone on an electric archtop in my experience is acoustic tone, though not the only factor to be sure). Anyway, I'm early in research stages but looking to acquire a CG or Chet in the next few months and would LOVE to hear helpful advice.

Definitely leaning 6120. Top considerations for me: nitro finish, zero fret, TVJones. I'd be willing to upgrade pickups, but it looks like anything with nitro and zero fret is likely to have the TVJs. If I could find something used from a trusted seller and save some bucks, that would be great.

Thoughts on models, years, reasonable price range?

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk ARGuitarGuy!

I've gotten my Gretsch guitars locally, so I don't have much that I can recommend up in your neck of the woods. I do know that there are plenty of people hear that can offer you good advice about the New York/New Jersey area, though. Best of luck on your search for your Gretsch.

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  3. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    Welcome to GT.

And to add to the link Freshy sent, if it's your cup of tea you can rest 1000% assured if it is in Tony's stable it is a helluva guitar.

4. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the welcomes and info. The other thing I neglected to mention on my list of reqs. would be vintage wiring (i dig the tone switch and three volume config). If anyone thinks the zero fret should be a non-factor I'm interested to listen/learn. My gut feeling is it helps negate often-irksome intonation and action issues in first position.

5. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Welcome to the forum!

I would tend to agree that a zero fret can prevent some of the issues - mostly with tuning stability, I think (an aftermarket zero fret install on a 5422 with bottoming out the bigsby returned to pitch pretty much right off the bat) I prefer a zero fret myself.

That said, I don't think it's an absolute necessity. I have non zero fret guitars that are just fine. Caveat: I don't use the bigsby aggressively while playing so that fact influences my opinion.

Good luck finding "your" guitar.

6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Welcome friend . My town borders your State , nice to have a neighbor here

7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT ,AR!

You can't go wrong with a 6120,sounds like your after either a used 59LTV or one of the new 59 Vintage Selects ,happy hunting sir!:)

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  8. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    JC, I think I found an LTV 10 minutes from my home. How would I confirm that's what it is? (It's a 2009 with zero fret, trestle bracing, classic wiring set-up, gold-plated filterTrons. $1795)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Welcome!
    I’d do some research about the model and go have a look at it to confirm it’s indeed what you want.
    Good luck!

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, ARGuitarGuy!
    Welcome-mat 109.jpg

11. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Welcome to the friendliest forum in Internet Land! If Tony still has the lime gold, that is a great deal! Reverb.com usually has a pretty good stable of 6120s for sale. I have heard great things about Sam Ash in NYC. Think they are a big Gretsch dealer.

12. WernerF

WernerF Gretschie

Jan 14, 2015
    Antwerp,Belgium
    Welcome ! Enjoy !

13. Stonepicking

Stonepicking Electromatic

Sep 14, 2018
    Portsmouth uk
  14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I have a 2009 ,you'll know as soon as you look inside,the label says G6120-1959LTV, s/n starts JT09.

Mine has a V neck and flamed headstock veneer .

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  15. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  16. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Welcome here.
    That`s a good model at a good pricepoint.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the asylum.

ARGuitarGuy likes this.
  19. ARGuitarGuy

ARGuitarGuy Electromatic

Nov 21, 2018
    New Jersey
    It’s apparently not an LTV. I’m going to go look at it anyway, but it has regular Gretsch Filtertrons and looks like poly finish according to the dealer. Do I really care about poly? Should I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice