Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Another NAD?!!? Mission “TONE”=complete !

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by rob batz, May 3, 2018.

1. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    To go with the Vox AC15 I got yesterday a match made in heaven!! Thank gawd I got rid of that supro cause I’m back to what I sounded like in my head ! That’s a great feeling to catch the tone u know u want! That is all for now, opinions welcome! 44F287DB-AEEC-4474-8E19-329C35335AA2.jpeg

CaliforniaSlim, b80_, Outlaw and 5 others like this.
  2. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    Yep the bassman circuit on the custom channel is wonderful. The channels are in phase and you can make it more interesting by jumping them.

rob batz likes this.
  3. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Love It! Congrats on buying my favorite tube amp!

rob batz likes this.
  4. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    USA
    had mine almost 3 years. This amp is super fantastic! Best of luck! MK

rob batz likes this.
  5. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Congratulations

Them supros are totally crap for the money.

Over here they seem to have flopped.

MotorCentaur and rob batz like this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Congrats Rob, that is a killer amp!!!

I felt the same way when I picked up my Kustom '36 Coupe. The tones were the exact ones, I was searching for

rob batz and MKunie like this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

I've heard almost nothing positive about them since they came out. Which is a real rarity. There's usually a chorus of people singing the praises of just about anything new, particularly when it's expensive. They must truly suck.

8. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Or at the very least very very hit or miss. I tried about 5 of them out in 2016 and early last year, and only really really enjoyed one. When they closed them out and phased off some of the amps, I got one $700 off; for about the price of a PRRI... One of the ones I really wanted to try was DOA on the sales-floor @ sweetwater when we pulled it out of the box... I kinda turned my nose up to Supro then, but figured I couldn't go wrong for PRRI money.

I also got the 68' Custom instead that day :).

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    A classic.
    Can`t go wrong with one of these.

10. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Same with their guitar.
    Looks like shops couldn't give them away

rob batz likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

QED. It's pretty strange. You'd think anybody wanting to do a high-end boutique amp would at the very least have an easy time arriving at a relatively crowd-pleasing circuit. Sounds like QC is a problem too. Not too impressive.

rob batz likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    They dont seem like high end boutique to me at all from what I hear, aside for the asking price. No surprise then that they're sold at 50% discount.

13. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I made a serious decsion to go with my own heart ,my head , and gut feeling on amps and to not think of price at all ,and I’m glad I changed my perception of what to get and build my sound on, worked out sooo good , if supro did anything right is was to make people realize just cause a amp is a couple grand they could still be absolutely horrible ! I had a a proplem of buying the most expensive amps cause I associate that with better amp, well the supro taught me a lesson! I just realized this , I’m gonna play what I like no matter what people think or say on forums unless I ask, and focuse on my playing cause im keeping these two great amps , next up I do want a used reissue fender reverb unit as well but that’s in the future when I find one,

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    MKunie likes this.
  14. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Over priced one trick poneys that can’t even do that trick well , in my opinion they put the big star 1688 at 1800$ and u’d think it b amazing ! First I found it was a shitty inside, then I couldn’t get any usable tones outta it unless useing and depending on heaven eq pedals! Total flop! But the Vox AC15 femder deluxe reverb these are just to me ultimate timeless amps for great prices , especially the Vox AC15!

MKunie likes this.
  15. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    My favourite amplifier, congratulations. Two 68 CDR's in stereo is my stage set up now, love them. Changing tubes will make you like the amplifier even more than you already do.

rob batz likes this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I have a CDR myself and think highly of it. At first, I was plagued with strange noises, which turned out to be bad reverb cables, but other than that, it's an excellent amp. I recently replaced the power tubes with JJs and set the bias on mine, it was a bit cold before, now it's just perfect.

17. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Good choice! This is my go-to guitar tester amp at GC. I've played through a bunch of them and a couple were a little squirrely, but many more of them just sounded great.

rob batz likes this.
  18. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    And Rob, you are seriously my new gear hoarder hero,,, must have an understanding wife, or still single:D:rolleyes:

rob batz likes this.
  19. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Another great reason to be single!!! I do not date , I swore off dateing and girls when I started being a FULL TIME SINGLE DAD WHEN MY BOY WAS 6months old , after I got away from the mother. I dated a girl or two but soon stopped all that I don’t date cause it’s just headaches too me, I wanna focus on my son only and not take care of someone else as well as my son , it’s just much easier to be single , AND THERE ARE BENIFITS LIKE NO ONE TELLING ME WHAT GEAR I CAN BUY OR NOT !! Dateing - jeez , been there done that! 6-7 years single and loving it!

MotorCentaur and gtttrrr like this.