Another Falcon info thread...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by freddyfingers, Feb 10, 2020.

Like we need another. I have always considered the falcons to be overly bling guitars of excess. Never understood the reason why anyone would want to pay that kind of money for something that gaudy. Well, there have been a few for sale here recently , so i started to look into them. It always starts here. Yesterday i saw a small two piece act, Karen Jonas, and her husband. She sings like the angels, but enough of that, he played a falcon. When i got close to it, the bling lured me in like a magnet. When i was able to get away i did some research while listening to the act. Actually my wife was the one that wanted to go and drink wine at this winery they played at, i was the driver.

I did not know they have 17 inch bodies. I think my hot rod is 16. They are also a tad deeper. This works for a guy thats 6’3”. Most guitars look like toys when i play them. So a bigger body makes me look that much more normal. ( no laughing). His did not have filtertrons, they were either the dyna Sonics or from what it read, Tearmonds? Had a bigsby.

My confusion comes in all the types they make. If there was only one white falcon, you could go anywhere and order it at the best price you can find. But nnnnoooooooo. They make quite a few. I really liked the one for sale here a week or so back. I think it was a 55, or one of those years before my birth in the 50’s. It had a solid top which i thought was unique for a GRETSCH. Plus the different pickups, and it came with a cadi tail pice that i think is the bees knees, and he had it replaced with a bigsby, but the tail piece can easily go back. Thats for me.

But then i see there is also a 57 or 59 model, the Stephen stills model, the regular 6136, and all the letters and numbers that follow. So how is a simple guy like me to make sense of it.

I dont think i need more filtertrons, as i dont think they would sound all that much different from the tv jones in my hot rod. So i am guessing the others would do. That being said, what are the big differences in the models? The Japan ones used are in my ball park to either save for soon with other gear i am selling off, or just wait a tad and have the cash. I think the 55 model is like 3800 new, and used seems to be around 2500 to 2800. What is there for me to look out for in the category, and would you all get new at his level, or a used in good shape ?

Keep in mind this is not a need. I didn’t need the es295 custom shop reissue, but here it is. Its a scratch that may get a littl;e worse and need scratching. That and my wife said “ WHAT GUITAR IS THAT MAN PLAYING, DO YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE?” Wine is great for me to get new things.

cowmoo, loudnlousy, JC higgy and 8 others like this.
  1. I am guessing there are others that are aware of the confusion that this model puts out. Any one can chime in and shed some light on it. Or maybe you all have figured out that if i let gas go a bit, i move on. Very clever.

2. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    If you want a big girl with a bit more class than bling, don't forget the Country Club. Thought I'd confuse you some more :)

freddyfingers and Ricochet like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    White Falcons don't really appeal to me so I have nothing to add. I'm surprised you weren't aware of 17" Gretsches. Have you ever looked at a Country Club? I bet Caddy green would look good on you. Or maybe 2-tone grey. :)

JC higgy likes this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Because it's that beautiful ..... yea , with all the falcon threads lately , I can't wait for " Gretsch-Day " at StreetSounds ( I'm going to try at make it this year )

section2 likes this.
  5. Unless its “free” gretsch day, i would not be able to convince my wife to make the drive.

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I get a real kick out of all the Falcon bashing that regularly goes on.

It's a simple concept, and Neil Young was asked once why he bought a Falcon way back when.

"It's a Show Biz guitar." He's right, and he can play it too! Lol. He still does.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  7. As silly as it sounds, i never put the two together. Thought the falcon was in its own category, but after yours and LA Miles suggestion, I discovered the falcon basically has the drum cover bling and a different head stock. Unless there is another difference , maybe quality build or such, i will give a club a look, assuming that one without filtertrons is considerably less expensive than the falcon.

section2 and Ricochet like this.
  8. Thanks for the input all! What about the pickups, the dynasonics vs the tearmonds , which i think i misspelled. Are they similar? Is there enough difference between stock gretsch vs the tv jones versions vs the Seymour duncan?

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I was under the impression CCs always have spruce tops, but not all WFs have.

10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I know @drmilktruck loves his two-tone Club. He may be able to chime in with some info.

11. CatTones

CatTones Gretschie

Jul 28, 2017
    Boston
    "PLAY ONE", to me it's completely different that ANY OTHER guitar I've ever played, I'm not a guy drawn to bling either, but ya best playing guitar I've owned
    I have an SSLVO and a Silver Jet and the Falcon is Tops, it's not a custom, a sig, or one of those aged vintage, it's a 2012 with Dynas, friggen Love It. oh, ya sorry for all the caps.

12. I did see a video from wild wood where they mention the falcon has a neck that doesn’t mount to the top of the guitar. As in the last frets float over the top instead of glued to the top. I haven’t seen that on other models as much. Seems like what a acoustic archtop would have to allow the top to vibrate more.

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    If you're not worried about an aged lacquer finish and T'Armond pickups you could look for a used DS Falcon,which is just the same as a 55 Falcon except it has regular Dynasonic pickups and a poly finish.

I say go used,i always do,that's how i've got 2 Falcons!

section2 likes this.
  14. I looked into those. Still 2600 to 2900 on reverb. But much less than the 3700 new. I guess I need to hear the difference in the pickups better. But no one near here stocks them.

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    White Falcons are the coolest!
    But even on the used market it’s hard to find them for under $2k. I guess that says something for the resale value.

Mine is a 2004 6136 with all the decor and bling of the 55 model, but with HS Filtertrons and a bigsby.
    No trestle bracing, just a fat post inside under the bridge.
    It’s a flashy guitar, but it has the sound to back it up.
    370C92FF-88E7-42AC-902B-27B60543B252.jpeg

16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A Falcon is a great instrument and an even greater visual statement.
    You enter the stage with a Falcon around your neck and everybody knows instantly that you will not only play some music to them but put up a show.

section2 and new6659 like this.
  17. You mean I have to work? I didnt think i was getting into that!

section2 and loudnlousy like this.
  18. Would a well set up falcon play any better than my well set up hot rod? Or a country club? Does it feel that different in the hands? Some heavenly experience? This is not meant to be sarcastic. Most reviews give this sense that its just a different animal.

19. What the orange one next to it? Does it have filters? Do the filters on the falcon give a different flavor than on another gretsch?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice