And... NGD!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stiv, May 13, 2019.

1. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It's finally arrived from the shop. My guitar man worked his hands on her and really fixed all the small issues (the biggest one of them was my usual setup, as I need very high and heavy strings to allow my copper bottleneck to properly work his magic :)).
    She's really gorgeous, I got her from a forum member (she crossed the Atlantic from Alabama to come here in perfect shape, and I just have to thank Ronny for giving me the chance. We all know that shipping, especially overseas, it's always a tricky thing), she's my first vintage Gretsch (I swear! I had almost all brand covered in vintage guitars, never my favorite one), not only it's vintage but she has exactly my age, 1967.
    I wanted a Country Gentleman body shape. I had to sell my beloved '64 SG Special if I wanted to buy a real one here in Italy. This beauty solved both problems, as I got what I wanted on a great deal and I could keep my Gibby.
    Apart form body, pickups are original '65 Hi-Lo as it's wiring, space control bridge and all the switches. Everything else is new. It's still missing a knob (that's in Vienna darnit, waiting to be shipped) but it's finished.
    My plan is: Setup her as a player (like all my guitars) and slowly try to buy all the vintage pieces (as long as they appear on the net, possibly without selling a kidney on the process) she miss to make her, one day, a desirable one on the vintage market. But no rush at all.
    Now it's in my hand and she needs to be played (She already did last night as I opened in Florence for Chain and The Gang's Ian Svenonious). I have to admit that when I got her, the Hi-Los left me cold. Now, after a good setup of pickup height (that required a custom made pad to raise them to the right level) and a pole height setting, they sound great. It even gave me more room to fiddle with my tone control on the amp (that with p90s was usually maxed on treble and that was it). Last time I played a single coil was maybe in mid 90s when a bougth a '72 Strat and I didn't really liked them, but this Hi-Los are different beasts.
    I'll keep playing and experimenting. I'm going to dig deep on some Lou Reed/Velvet Underground sound pretty soon! ;)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rally.
    IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0950.JPG

2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Bella !! Congrats and enjoy

stiv likes this.
  3. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Congrats!

stiv likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, what was the reasoning flipping the bridge pup around?

stiv likes this.
  5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    It was my guitar man idea. For the things I play (mostly delta-blues oriented music with deep tones that allows my slide to be thick enough, but also that “grit” that usually bridge pickups combined with the amp tone knob on the treble side) he gave me this option. It’s something well known here in this board for those who use Dynas. I thought it will worth give it a try, and to be honest it worked well last night. I could use bridge pickup with good results without loosing bottom end (also considering I play it trough a 15” Weber Michigan).

Ricochet likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Stiv, I've never seen one like that before, and it's a real beauty. Congrats!

MKunie and stiv like this.
  7. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks mate. Rally were not a uber-popular model at the time I guess (I admit I wasn’t aware that it existed too before buying it :)) but now that I could lay my hand on her I’m really enjoying it. It’s really versatile (playing the blues on a Gretsch? If somebody would have told it to me when I was a kid and loved Setzer I would probably had a laugh on him ;)) and the Hi Lo Trons a real discovery. Still figuring out how to use them best, but that’s the best part of having something new.

MKunie and LivingMyDream like this.
  8. Gasee

Gasee Electromatic

Jun 4, 2009
    SE/Pa
    That is Super Dooper!!!!!

stiv likes this.
  9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool geet,congrats Stiv!

stiv likes this.
  10. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Sweet buy!!! Don't forget you have 2 kidneys also ;)

stiv likes this.
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great score, congrats!

stiv likes this.
  12. jmkoeln

jmkoeln Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Cologne, Germany
    ahw....man! That's a good one.....!

13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That makes sense. I’m gonna try that next time around. My OCD insists on flipping the neck PU as well though.

14. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Love it, totally love it.

Chain & the Gang were cool as well.

stiv likes this.
  15. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Awesome axe, Congrats.

stiv likes this.
  16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, looks great!

stiv likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sweet guitar, congrats.

stiv likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That is a nice score, indeed. Glad that you can keep your vintage SG.

stiv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice