An unexpected NGD!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Flouswa, May 23, 2019.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

The story:
    I am a big fan of Takamine acoustics. Last year I bought a used GS330s, only $150 and it satisfied my curiosity--for a while. It isn't a cutaway and no electronics, but I at least solidified my love of the brand with it. That was last March and since then, my music adventure has taken me in an entirely different direction than I planned/expected. My Fender acoustic (Scarlett) has done a good job so far, but I was still GASsing for that next level, and I feel as though my playing skills have improved enough that I earned it.

As anyone else who is a Tak fan knows--if you live in an area that isn't considered heavily populated, finding these guitars is kind of difficult at times, new or used. The one that I bought last year I just stumbled across while trying out a Taylor. I really didn't want to order one without having played the same model or at least something similar, and I definitely wanted to try one of the ones with their NEX body shape. So, for the past couple of months, I've been perusing the used department of the GC website, hoping maybe one would turn up within an hours drive.

Tuesday night one of the regulars showed up at open mic with his Tak--a GORGEOUS Koa wood guitar, and it just happened to be the NEX body. I asked him if I could try it out, and he was more than happy to let me. I was in love--but really didn't want to spend $1400 on a guitar at the moment. I'm not quite to THAT level. After I got home I decided to check the GC website, I hadn't for a week or two. And my eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw that a Tak with the NEX body had literally just turned up at my local GC center, so recent that it didn't even have pictures yet.

Needless to say, yesterday I decided to run over and look at it...and it followed me home. It's in gorgeous condition, I need to get in touch with Takamine and see if I can find a production date on it, but I'd be willing to bet it was manufactured in the last two years. I'm pretty sure the battery in the tuner/amp is the original battery as it's one of those goofy brands you never hear of that typically come with items shipped from Asia. It was dirty--it looked as though someone had been playing it after eating something rather sticky and had a few minor marks on it, and of course needed new strings (quit telling people you change strings on used guitars that come in GC, it's a lie!) but after going over it with a damp cloth/polishing cloth and using some carnuba wax on a few marks, it looks fabulous. And I saved $200 over buying new!

It's mine, all mine--a Takamine GN93CE--I love it!!
    tak 1.jpg
    Obligatory sofa picture!

tak 2.jpg tak3.jpg
    tak 4.jpg
    tak 5.jpg
    tak6.jpg
    tak 7.jpg
    tak 8.jpg
    tak 9.jpg
    The finish on this guitar is just beautiful, I love the wood binding on it and how you can see the grain in it. It sounds great unplugged--but plugged in, holy cow! I thought the Fishman electronics in my Fender kicked butt, this is a whole new level. I'd read many a review on Takamine and how theirs are some of the best, and I have to say I agree. I look forward to trying this out at an open mic sometime in the next few weeks to see how it sounds there.

Now I have to decide what I'm going to do with the other Tak, I don't need 3 acoustics or have space for 6 guitars and I know it's just going to sit in it's case unplayed, and I hate that. More than likely will sell it and hopefully someone else will love it as much as I did and appreciate it for the great guitar that it is. It just didn't meet my current needs.

2. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Great looking guitar. I love the split wood look on the back. Classy.

Flouswa likes this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Beautiful back design! Enjoy!!

Flouswa likes this.
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Lovely guitar and the back is very cool.

Flouswa likes this.
  5. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Funny that you all mentioned the back--the guy that rang me out made a comment about it too! It's almost a shame it is the back, you can't see it on stage. Unless I hold it up and go "hey, check out the back of this guitar!" :D

T Bone, section2 and LivingMyDream like this.
  6. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I don’t know, I think it’s cool it’s not in your face flashy when played from the front and more stealthy. It’s like your little secret.

Flouswa and TSims1 like this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

There is a premium guitar shop in Atlanta called “Righteous Guitars”. Their acoustic guitar selection begins in approx the $3k’s on the low end and then goes up(way up)from there. They actually display all of their hand-selected top shelf acoustic guitars with the BACKS facing out. Never seen anything like it......then again, the pieces they choose for the store are all quite exquisite and typically have special woods/figuring etc. So they do show well. It’s a real visual treat for wood lovers. Just like the back of your Tak here.

Flouswa and Merc like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, the unexpected ones are the best. It's a beautious creature.

Flouswa likes this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Flouswa, the binding and the way the back is inlayed is absolutely gorgeous, so I agree with you and the others. Even though an audience can't see it, you will, and it will thrill you every time you pick it up to play.

Congratulations on such a fine guitar!

Flouswa likes this.
  11. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Congratulations! It's gorgeous!

Flouswa likes this.
  12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Congratulations, it's very beautiful, especially the face.
    I'm not that fan of the back, the middle part seems like a plate of beans (well I'm with the smartphone and should check a larger photo before writing such atrocity).

Now if you want to show it on stage, you can use a simple sung chorus and start repeatedly sing it while you stop playing and clap your hands. And when the audience also sing and clap their hands, you take the guitar off and start raising and waving your guitar with one arm. And "by chance", that's the back you show to the audience...

Flouswa likes this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Congrats, looks amazing (especially like that back design as well). The Jumbo w/ cutaway shape seems like it would make things much more manageable as well.

Enjoy!

Flouswa likes this.
  14. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Got a thought. Their was a country star, Porter Wagner, that had " HI " on the back of his guitar. He would flip it over each time he came on stage. Maybe too over the top for you ?

Flouswa likes this.
  15. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Oh cool! I remember there was a guitar at the shop I used to take lessons at made from sort of unusual wood. From where I was sitting, waiting for my teacher, I could only really see the back. I wish now I had taken a closer look at it the because by the next time I was there, it was already gone! You'll have to take a pic when you are there, I'd love to see it.

TSims1 likes this.
  16. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

A middle finger might be more appropriate for me?? LOL

johnny g and T Bone like this.
  17. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Thank you! I'll be honest, I didn't really notice the binding as much until last night when I was working on it. The more I looked, the more wowed I was by the whole thing, just beautifully made.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  18. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

That's a thought. Now I need to find a song we can do that with...;)

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  19. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Yes, it's not a huge difference, but that shape in the middle makes it seem less bulky. It really isn't much difference sizewise than a standard dread, but it's amazing what a difference it makes. And truthfully, the main reason I was interested in the NEX shape to begin with.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

Thanks! It's almost like a gorgeous piece of furniture, thinking I might bring one of my stands out to the living room and display it, kind of like a nice piece of art. Plus it will be handy for whenever the mood strikes me. (although that might be too often and I'll never get anything done!)

section2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice