Amp heads for acoustic?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Seamus, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Last night's band rehearsal featured a funny smell that had nothing to do with unwashed drummers. Turned out it was the acrid scent of my acoustic amp dying. It's an Ashdown Acoustic Radiator I've done many, many gigs with. I've been running it with a Sansamp for electric as I await my new electric amp's arrival. Unless there's something really obvious going on, I now have to find myself a replacement. The bank account will not be thanking me.

So I'm wondering -- I have seen few such beasts, but are there amp head options specifically for acoustic guitar? The cheapest solution may be just converting this amp into a very nice speaker cab. Was eyeing the DV Mark Jazz head, but it doesn't seem to be primarily for acoustic. I will exclusively be playing Gypsy jazz with an archtop and a Selmer-style acoustic through this.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    PA head. Multiple inputs, FX, flat response, versatility, and they come in a wide variety of wattages.

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mesa Rosette pedal? It is a DI and Preamp not sure that would cover all your bases. I use my QSC K10. I have thought about adding this pedal or an eq. There is a Rosette amp but I think it is a combo and a bit pricey. Does Joyo make one?

Waxhead and Henry like this.
  4. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Most everyone is into small acoustic combo amps I suppose. I would think most SS amps with good controls would work well for acoustic. There are a few SS heads out there. Some are tiny! The key for acoustic may be your cab being closed back...?
    I am moving to an open back non acoustic type of amp myself... because I am playing more archtop electric. I like the open back tone better for that.( I hope moving to that style of amp isn't a feedback issue when I do use the acoustic!) So selling my Roland AC-60 acoustic amp, it is stereo output with two speakers and has a big sound. Kind of like the coveted Roland JC-40 Jazz amp, but for acoustic. Any of those Rolands might be good for you.

5. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Hmm. Hadn't thought of that! If it's small enough, might work!

wabash slim likes this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Any experience with the Fishman Loud Box Mini? I need light weight as a main consideration.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Have you looked at or had someone look at your amp yet? It might be a simple fix. Burnt resistors smell quite bad. Of course fried transformers do as well but cost a bit more. I sure wouldn't rule out fixing it yet.

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Through a Marshall Superlead every guitar sounds just fine. It wil even make a banjo sound great.:p

Waxhead likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Now THAT I want to hear!!

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I have taken it apart, and there's nothing obvious. But then, I'm just a bozo who owns a soldering iron, not an amp tech. My bandmate fixes pinball machines, and suggested a burnt capacitor or resistor. If it's readily spotted, I might fix it.

Thing is, though it has always sounded great and never let me down at a gig, early on it had another problem that was solved by plugging a spare lead into the effects loop. So I don't want to sink too much into it. Had it at least a decade, and put a lot of hours on it.

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What's your weight limit? My K10 is not light but not nearly as heavy as some of my amps and what's your budget a nice self-powered PA still costs a bit.

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    With a couple more in between. I heard this one and really liked it. I would rather have the Rosette but it seems you need the whole amp not just a pedal. I see Joyo has a similar pedal to the Mesa Rosette which is kind of tempting to try as it is under 100$ where the Mesa I think is around 500$ Used 300$. The Rosette amp is pretty darn good as well but also pricey, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming.

Fender Acoustic Pro Guitar Amplifier

Mesa Rosette

Waxhead likes this.
  14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I had a Loudbox mini and liked it. Sold it and bought the Loudbox artist as an upgrade. Both are pretty compact and light. Sound good to my ear, the artist is better. Basically, as with a lot of acoustic amps, they're a 2 channel, compact PA with a couple more bells and whistles. Built in effects line in and out. The one thing I really like about the artist over the mini is it has seperate xlr outputs for each channel. The mini only has one that carries both channels. I use mine as a monitor in praise band and the sound guy appreciates the extra control.
    My one complaint is the cheap thin tolex will rip and gouge if you look at it sideways. I have heard they are putting a thicker tolex on new ones.

15. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I just sold mine. Good little amp, quiet, has xlr line out. The tolex is notoriously bad and soft and gouges if you look at it wrong. A bit "boxy" sounding on lows or electric guitar. But pretty darn good on Acoustic really. I can't fault it much. When I bought my Roland AC-60, I sold the Loudbox mini fast though. The Roland was like adding another dimension, with all the same features and a couple more including dual line out etc.. maybe it's the two channels/ two speaker setup that does that better sound.

16. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I don't gig but for around the house my Vox VX50ag works great. No feedback and it seems to do a nice job representing my guitars. And it is so light...did I mention how light it is? 084_gpr1317_frets_gear_vox-1.jpg VX50-AC-GalleryImage-4.jpg

swivel likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    All acoustic amps are (aside from a contradiction in terms) just simple PA systems. A simple 2 (or more) channel mixer and any size of powered monitor will do fine.

18. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
  19. Chaz

Chaz Gretschie

Sep 27, 2008
    Oregon Coast
    I’ve had great success with my ultrasound AG 50 acoustic amp. Vocals and guitar

Mark W likes this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice