Amp conundrum -- light but loud?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Seamus, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Telegal

Telegal Gretschie

Sep 4, 2012
    Australia
    Have you considered going digital? The headrush pedal board only weighs about 5kg. It’s not heavy and there’s a lot of option in terms of amp sims on it. The Helix is also meant to be absolutely phenomenal.

2. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Electromatic

Jul 26, 2013
    Marietta, Georgia
    Fender Pro junior IV. Its light, sounds great, and loud enough to gig. Find a used Roland 40gx, its 19lbs. of loud too

3. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Today's amp-playing expedition proved you 100 percent correct. Played a couple of Quilters, and both ended up delivering the goods very well indeed. The difference, very clearly, was that I was playing my Black Phoenix instead of a weird thing with Retrotrons. If I need something loud, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Quilter.

Also got to play through some vintage lightweight weirdos: a Lectrolab and a Univox. The Lectrolab delivered some very nice clean tones, but the breakup sounded like some sort of nuclear explosion! Univox was quite nice overdriven, but had very little headroom. And lastly, plugged into a Pro Jr. -- a lot to like, but in the end just too bright for me, with little way to dial in tones I liked.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Sounds like you had a great day trying out amps! Which way are you leaning?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

5. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I did! And my daughter came along and read in a giant egg chair while I played, so everybody was happy. Loved some of the tones with the Lectrolab, but it's really too finicky and unpredictable to be regular gig gear, I think.

I think my final setup is going to be a little different than I thought. I played several things through my Ashdown Acoustic Radiator, and in the end realized I have a high-volume solution right in front of me, without spending a dime. With Sansamp GT2 through the Ashdown, after lots of fiddling, I found some tones that were superb. I've gigged with that before, but didn't love the results-- my fault for not having the patience to dial it in right, I see now. So for any bigger gigs, I'm covered! I even took the metal grille off, and discovered that it lightened the amp by half a pound. Incredible. I'm down to 23 pounds and change now. The MV50 sounds exceptionally good through that as well, so I may eventually get one of those to keep.

While I'm working with that rig, I'm going to get myself an AC10 and try to lighten it up, with the eventual plan of a whole new, lighter-weight cab for it. No dire hurry on it now.

Unless I change my mind again tomorrow! :) Honestly, I've got no energy left for any more fiddling. I think this will have to do the trick!

pmac11 likes this.
  6. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Quick follow-up question for those who know more than I do about cabinets (that wouldn't be hard!)-- would it make a major difference to the sound to basically cut a hole in the bottom of a speaker chamber (it really is a fully-enclosed chamber in the Ashdown) and cover the hole with lighter material? Can't imagine it would, but what do I know?

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Enclosed is enclosed but a lighter material Could be more lively causingnthe cab to resonate differently and change the character of the sound some. The question is would it be a change you would actually notice.

I would consider a neo mag speaker and a whole new cab made lighter rather then risk a cab I think you like. My .02.

8. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    That's a question I always wonder about with the many variables that affect things, and I did find a very interesting article about speaker cabinets in which it was mentioned that while frequency response is often changed by a cabinet, it's also mostly easily corrected with a slight change of amp EQ. Seems like it would have to be something pretty egregious to put things so out of whack you couldn't get them back into reasonable territory.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm confused Seamus.
    You're in a 60s garage type band - yes?

If so, how would a 10w AC10, or a 50w solid state MV50, provide enough clean headroom to be heard in your band ?
    And MV50 has no reverb and both have very limited EQ controls.
    Neither has a series loop.

Don't you need all that for a gigging guitarist in a 60s band.?

See this review from TPG
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/vox-mv50-first-impressions.1828294/

But you got me interested in the Vox MV50 AC as a home practice or jam set up plugged into my 2 x 12 closed cab with Celestion V30s.
    I'd only use it for Vox clean and run it into a pedal board for dirt and effects.
    At 8ohm that would deliver 25 solid state watts.
    The videos sound good but I'm vary wary of those.

Wud be nice to have some Vox AC chime tones at home but how close in tone is the MV50 AC combined with 2 x V30s to an AC10, AC15 or 30. Anyone know?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  10. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    In short, no, I don't need a dramatic amount of headroom. I've got two primary needs: lower volume cleans (jazz and ambient), and higher volume overdriven sounds for the 60s band. We're talking about stuff that's more like the vid I'm posting below, and seldom calls for cleans. I played with the 60s guys last night, and I used the Sansamp/Ashdown combination. There was no lack of volume clean or overdriven. The AC10, well, we'll soon see, but it fits low volume clean and higher volume overdrive pretty well.

Regarding MV50 -- I'll try to post some clips when I have time, but I did an A/B of the MV50 AC against my AC30, and I played both of them through the AC30's 2 Alnico 12s. To my ears, the MV50 does a surprisingly good job of emulating it, but the lack of proper tone controls hampers it. At very low gain, the lows aren't as big as the AC30's, and the highs are quacky. Some better EQ would really help. When you get a little bit more gain but are still mostly clean, the highs get smooth, and there's a nice added sustain. The lows never really fill in. Overdriven, the MV50 is really spectacular, and gets really close to the AC30.

True, it doesn't have reverb, but I've played for 25 years without onboard reverb, so I don't really care. I'm similarly antiquated in my notions of loops. They probably do sound better, but I've never had an electric amp with one so it barely occurs to me as a consideration. All that said, I'm probably not keeping the MV50-- what I got last night with my Sansamp was more than sufficient.

If you're interested in an MV50, I'd strongly suggest using it more like a pedal. When I put it through my Ashdown acoustic amp, all its deficiencies were addressed and it sounded fantastic.

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok and thanks.
    I hope you've found solutions for yourself.

I might try an MV50 AC for home use with pedal board.
    My pedal board has an MXR 6 band EQ so that solves the MV50 lack of tone options.

I can also run it thru THIS
    http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/
    to ramp it up to 50w of power tube beauty if I want.
    This power station also has a series loop and I have TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb pedal also :)

I am spoilt with series loops now having owned 2 Mesa amps for over 10 yrs. All time based effects sound much better thru a good loop imo.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    If you do try one, you won't lack for volume-- that thing is LOUD, and I've only tried it at 25 watts!

Waxhead likes this.