Amp conundrum -- light but loud?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Seamus, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Yep! End of day, that's always the right answer. I'm frustrated that I can find so few examples within an easy drive to try, though! Perils of living in the wild.

But hey -- if I end up with something I don't love, there's always the next amp...

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've had the same experience. I like the warmth at low gain, but at higher gain I don't like how the lows come out. Im probably just not a tweed guy.

3. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I know what you are saying. I had a DIY amp, a Champ but 15W and was a non-stop-fart even more with big box guitars... I was going to sell it but I send it to a real good Amp Tech and he changed the amp completely, added a tonestack and a second 6V6 in parallel and more tweaks and the fart is gone... Maybe a cheap way is sending your amp to mod... but the weigh is going to be same...

This is my "new" amp and the guitar that used to fart...

[​IMG]

I must say that I could tame the farting using this:

[​IMG]

I still use it. Is a real good booster!!!

4. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    I have one of THESE for using with my ABG. It is dynamite. Full range, clean with a tube in the pre. I know it is not aimed at the 6 string guitar market, but with a pedal or modeler, it will do everything you need - if you can find one someone is willing to part with. Most of us who have one will not easily part with it. Well over 100 watts and just over 13 lbs is hard to top. I have one and have run it too hard (thanks sound guy who spend 30 minutes micing the drum kit and couldn't be bothered to drop me a DI for an outdoor gig) and it did it without complaining. I have also used it with keyboards and it is fantastic there too.

found one here - no connection with the seller

Genz Benz was bought out by Fender and shut down. They have re-opened under the name Genzler and I just found they have something comparable, if better suited to guitars, in their new lineup. Weighs more, but @21 lbs still not too bad. Looks like it is currently sold out, but I haven't been following it so it might be available somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Bertotti likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Genz Benz had a small 10” combo that you could pull the head out of. It was incredible! Once I finally had the money for one they were gone. I wonder if Fender ruined them or if these new amps will be just as good.

6. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Rumor is that they are even better. The heads and the cabs both. I suspect they may be heavier though.

Fender closed Genz Benz down entirely. I had hoped they would rebadge and up their game, but no luck. Jeff Genzler waited out his non compete time and then created Genzler.

For me, the 3.0 8t does everything I need in a light weight package. It's what you were talking about, except smaller and lighter (8" vs 10"). I had a doctor imposed 10 lb max weight limit on me for a few months. This combo kept me going. I bought the bag and put it on a suitcase cart. I could strap music and other crap on the cart too and it rolled with barely any effort at all.

I have since dumped almost all my old school cabs and amps.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    National Style O, brass instead of steel, nice and light and dont need no amp.:cool: Screenshot_2018-12-21-21-14-12-1.png

Seamus, Waxhead, audept and 1 other person like this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Talked to my cardiologist, who basically urged me to go lighter than even the AC10. So here's the rig that's en route, and will enable me to change a few things down the line if I want to, like running a different head or changing speakers. I'm sure each of these points could be strongly debated, but you gotta start somewhere!

Vox MV50 AC -- 1.1 pounds
    Custom cab -- 12 pounds
    Jensen Tornado 12-inch neodymium speaker -- 4.4 pounds

Total weight: about 17.5 pounds

Bonus: the Jensen is 4 ohms, so the MV50 can go as high as its full 50 watts. That, I hope, will give me the headroom for cleans, and the option of running right at the breakup point if I want.

If it doesn't sound good to me, I intend to try the MV50 Clean, DV Mark Micro, or Quilter 101.

GreatGretsch and Tony65x55 like this.
  9. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Sounds like a cool rig! Let us know how it works out for you.

Seamus likes this.
  10. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Will do!

And by the way -- I spent some time playing an AC10 yesterday. Shouldn't have done that -- that is one spectacular little amp! I loved it. Now I know what I'm comparing that MV50 to. If my cardiologist hadn't put a dose of fear in me, I would have walked out with that.

TSims1 likes this.
  11. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Told you that little bugger sounds NICE!

Best of luck with your new rig.

12. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Thanks! Another idea someone floated on another forum -- maybe it would be possible to acquire an AC10 and put it into a lighter cabinet? Hmm. Not sure where to go for that, considering my lack of time and skill. Could get well beyond my intended budget.

In the meantime, I got my MV50 this morning. Wow! I think the hype is deserved. Even through the small and limited speaker of my Vintage 47 Suitcase, that thing is extremely impressive. The midrange thump of my AC30 is also present in that 1-pound machine. I find that remarkable. A little worried that the highs will be brittle (not good, since I play a Black Phoenix and have no control over tone on that end), but otherwise, I am blown away by how similar the MV50 is to my AC30.

13. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
  14. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I suggest something in the Dr. Z camp you could pick up an M12 110 combo if you need high headroom in the EL84, Dr. Z Watts are LOUD so don’t let 12w fool you, the Carmen Ghia head is about 24lbs too.

15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    This. Or any of the Quilter heads, they're all awesome.
    IMG_3831.JPG

16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Hi @Seamus Glad your doing well . Nice to see you on the forum again

17. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Thanks! Life's been pretty non-musical for a while, so I'm particularly happy to be back around these parts and putting my guitar to good use!

thunder58 likes this.
  18. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I finally got a chance to try that very machine. I feel like it's heresy to say it after the many glowing reviews I've read, but I didn't really get on with it. Might be because the only Gretsch-like guitar in the shop was an Ibanez with GFS Retrotrons. Going back tomorrow to try it with my actual guitar.

Also going to play again through a Lectrolab vintage number. Weird, weird amp! Supposedly 15 watts, but not that loud.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    And while I'm a posting machine (at least until band rehearsal in a few), has anyone had any experience with a Univox U45B? Got a friend who may give me custody, but I don't know if it's usable for my needs, particularly as I now may be playing with a '60s garage band sort of thing.

20. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    With the Quilters it takes a minor bit of fiddling with the TriQ and HiCut, but I think you'll find something that works for you. Happy hunting !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice