Amp conundrum -- light but loud?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Seamus, Dec 6, 2018.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Get a son that is a weightlifter, like mine:):)

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Lionpotato and Seamus like this.
  4. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    The heads are light weight, but most Mesa combos are crazy heavy.

5. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    I’ll be the heretic and recommend SS.

I play a Roland Blues Cube and love it. The artist version is 80w, with built in power scaling, and weighs 34 pounds. And the tones are great. You can get the Hot version, 30 watts, loud for that wattage, and less than 30 pounds. Listen to some demos.

I also play an Orange Crush 60c and it’s fabulous. The cleans are great, big warm lush cleans. And obviously is had the famous orange crunch and high gain distortion (which I don’t use much).

6. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Take a Pro Junior IV for a test ride. They weigh 22.85lbs and are loud. I actually use an attenuator when playing smaller clubs. Put the volume knob on 5 and it it’s clean with a bit of edge.

Seamus, El Marin and TSims1 like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The ancient combos yes. Not newish ones no.
    Express 5:25 = 32 lbs.
    Mark V 35 = 44 lbs
    Rectoverb = 40 lbs
    Fillmore 25 = 35 lbs

Note none of these combo amps are under 25w, all have 12" speakers, at least 2 channels, loops plus a host of other features.

Best option for physically restricted people is to carry a small light head on trip 1 and then a light 1x12 separate cab on trip no 2.

8. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    don’t forget the Mark Five 25 an incredible little head. It and the mark five 35 have me drooling constantly since they came out! Seems like they can do anything.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Waxhead likes this.
  9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I'd give the AC10C1 a try. Up until a few weeks ago I wasn't going to ever have one, but I wanted something to use for rehearsal so based on comments on this Forum gave an AC10 a try again. It will never replace my main rig but I like it a lot. There is more headroom than I remembered them having. For fun, I tried it mic'd at a medium sized gig this weekend and it performed really well. Master volume almost all the way up and gain about 11 O'Clock and it was very touch sensitive. There is lots more in this amp besides the Vox Chime as well.

Worth a try at lreast...IMHO

gruffydd3, TSims1 and Seamus like this.
  10. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    If you are willing to MIc your amp, the Vox VXII, 30 watts, 8" speaker weights about 9 lbs. I mainly use mine in the bedroom, but it does have good Vox sounds. The Katana 50 does Tweed and Marshall sounds, well. It is very loud for it's weight. No tubes, but the on-board effects are a plus. Tape Echo, Delay, Tremolo and Reverb, are nice for rockabilly.

11. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Thanks! I'm leaning that direction for two reasons -- tubes and money. I really, really liked the Blues Jr. Great little amp. Even a used one plus a speaker upgrade to bring it within the weight I need is a pretty big wallet hit, though. I really like the AC10 sound clips I've heard, and to my ears, the clips of solid state/modelling amps (Vox and otherwise) just don't hold much charm in comparison. I like simplicity. Of course, who knows what I'll think once I plug in and listen!

Plan number 2 because why not-- I may be out of my gourd here, but I have a 1960s tube-driven stereo cabinet that has, beautiful though it looks and sounds, been banished permanently to my basement. It contains four or five very interesting speakers, from a 15-inch down to a 6 or so. I keep wondering what would happen if I appropriated one of those old speakers and plugged my 7-watt Vintage 47 into it. Could be intriguing.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    They will indeed do 100s tones better and lighter than anyone else - with cleans and reverb better than anything ever made by Vox or Fender imo. In US you'll find used one's under $600.

With Mark V 25 weighing 16 lbs, add a light weight 12" speaker cab and almost anyone can easily transport both with the head in 1 hand and the cab in the other :)

Ac10 weighs 27 lbs - for only 10w - much too heavy for me and my back is good.
    Blues Jnr - ditto - 32 lbs for 15w and all you get is 1 ok clean tone.
    Both seriously lacking clean headroom for any gigging imo.

13. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Just revisiting this thread with a further question. Any love for the Super Champ XD or X2? It meets the requirements: inexpensive, under 25 pounds, 15 watts.

Haven't found an AC10 to play anywhere near me. May be taking a bit of a shot in the dark when I pull the trigger on something, alas.

14. El Marin

El Marin Electromatic

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    That would be my choice

The Super Champ XD to my ears is too cold and farts at high volume (my experience so far)

15. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I have the junior version of the super champ X2, the Vibro Champ X whatever. Love it. Good second hand price .No farting. Upgraded the speaker with a Weber but it's basically a great amp with many pleasing options

16. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Ha! Funny to read that when I'm just returning from a half hour of playing through my Vintage 47. No matter what I do, really cranking the volume brings on a massive, overdriven fart, tameable only with using a pedal instead of the amp as overdrive. Doesn't do it with single coils, for some reason.

I'm strongly considering funding this purchase by off-loading it, though the Vintage 47 has a beautiful low-volume sweet spot that offers gorgeous jazzy tones. But unless I mic it, I'm never gonna get that sound live or even rehearsing. And mostly, I'm not playing where I get to mic up properly.

Hoping I can find a Pro Jr and an AC10 to try. Many other options here that I'd love to consider, but I hope to keep this project under $500, and in a combo (though with a speaker out), because I'm too lazy for all these trips to the car! :)

17. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I don't gig, but if I was doing it again, the AC10C1VS would still be my choice.

I've had it a couple of months now and just loving what I can get out of it. I've never played through a regular C1, so I can't compare. I will say that it has more higher volume Vox clean than I expected, but that's ok.

If this exact amp was available 30 years ago. I would have saved a ton of money spent on chasing my "amp sound."

I really love this little Vox.

FWIW, I've had a Blues and Pro Jr. The Vox, to my ears, beats them hands down, including the reverb.

20181211_114059.jpg

18. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Beautiful combo! Would love to hear it!

G5422T likes this.
  19. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks. I'm not set up for making clips, but it's the good old Gretsch + Vox = Tone heaven that many just love.

Seamus likes this.
  20. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    To be honest, I've heard so many videos of small tweedy amps that are meant to be holy grails of amp tone.. and thought fart! Wasp in jam jar! Dog barking in a bucket! Emperors New clothes! And I've heard modern moddelers and amp Sims that have been more useable. Some boutique amps that cost a small fortune just seem to be so bad, dunno what's happening with that. Hey ho, go with what sounds good to your ears and f*** the rest

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice