Amp conundrum -- light but loud?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Seamus, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Thanks to a recent diagnosis, I can't lift more than about 25 pounds. My Vox AC30 is 85 pounds. I want to return to gigging (took a long break), but I can't lug the Vox any more. Looking for suggestions for loud enough to gig with but lightweight, with at least something in the tone department. I love Vox tone -- that said, I played a Blues Jr. and really liked what I heard. It's 31.5 pounds, so maybe.

I also own a Vintage 47 amp that's a mere 7 watts (with upgraded tubes), but it will only do for very small gigs in my experience. Looking for no more than $500 to $700, and less is better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I hope you're okay.

This isn't quite an answer to your question, but would you consider ditching the amp and putting a modeling pedal straight through the PA? Something like a Zoom G5 or G5n might fit the bill.

3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I recently got a Tweed Blues Junior. Again i was fed up with carrying heavy amps to gigs.
    It’s a great amp, loud as Hell & sounds awesome with my Gretsch guitars.
    My Brother has a Vox AC10 C1 which is also very good. I prefer the Blues Junior’s Fender sound myself but it’s down to personal choice.. CCA926E7-E0E4-414D-A79F-7B2B50C72708.jpeg

MKunie and b80_ like this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    I should be okay. But there's a scary surgery out there on the horizon, dang it! Heart stuff.

I don't know if I'd consider that, but maybe. If it sounds right, it sounds right! I have a Sansamp pedal that I sometimes use. It's just that I then plug into an amp and it feels so very much better.

section2 likes this.
  5. gruffydd3

gruffydd3 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2018
    maryland
    I second what nickurso said.

nickurso likes this.
  6. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Northern Colorado
    The Line 6 Amplifi series of amps can be very loud and they do not weigh a ton. My Amplifi 150 can peel paint off the wall, and the VOX emulations are pretty good.

7. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Blues Jr. and AC10 are certainly on my consideration list. They both have their charms, to be sure!

Wondering, too, about the weirdo Vox modeling amps like the VTX series. Maybe if they have a bumper sticker that says "My real amp is at home."

8. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    AC10, Pure Vox tone and easy on the body and heart.

9. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    If you like a Vox, get a Vox. The AC10 gets lots of love on this forum. AC15 would be great too, but don't know if that's already too heavy.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've been on a hunt for a combo at 35lbs or less. They big issue is clean head room, of you don't need it, then lots or choices. If you do, most offerings wont work.

I would look at direct in and/or non tube options. I like my ethos (there is an amp version too), and the blackbird tube thing has good reviews, both in pedal format

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Why not a hybrid like the orange tiny terror or dark terror. I bought a small hybrid, Chinese Joyo amp and actually really like it and it is light but you will need a cab. I see that as a plus because then you get the cab and speaker you want and different speakers change the character of a head so its like having several amps.

I looked at a dark terror the other day it was 189$

I got the Joyo for around 129$

If you or a friend is handy you can build your own cab and splurge on a speaker.

12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    How about Quilter? Very light and loud.

13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I was gonna say a Mustang 2.....seriously!

Henry likes this.
  14. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Cool! Lots of good thinking here. Lots to ponder. Switching cabs/speakers could be pretty excellent. My Vintage 47 isn't really loud enough for gigging, but could be intriguing as well with some different speaker options.

15. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    vox ac1o gets my vote. Big sound and @ 27 pounds.

16. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    I know a guy that makes the best AC15 style amp on the planet. 14 pound head 25 pound 1 x 12 combo :)

Wozob, Bertotti and drmilktruck like this.
  17. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Hmm! Do tell!

I could make two trips from the car...

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    This was my thought as well. Slap some pedals/modeler in front of it for your Vox-y-ness.

Tiny Terror + a lightweight cab w/ a Greenback or a Blue type speaker should get you a nice substitute for Top Boost too, cleans might not do it for you if you need them though.

toddfan and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice